Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: Sue C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had a total knee replacement in 2011 and a few months later I became ill with fever and nausea, pain, and swelling of my knee. I went into the emergency and got blood work. Nothing turned up so the orthopedic surgeon did an aspiration of my knee fluid and it tested positive for staph epidermis 3 days later. A month later I went through and open debridement and manipulation of the knee and was on a peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC) line for 8 weeks. My knee seemed better until the PICC line was removed. I underwent a knee revision. When the knee replacement was removed at that time I was given antibiotics along with my spacer in my knee and another PICC line for 8 weeks. My knee was replaced following the PICC line removal and this occurred over 2 years and I suffered extreme pain throughout this time. I will never be the same again. My knee cannot function normally and will not bend past 94 degrees. So far it seems like the infection is cured. I hope it is the last of it!

Comment from: Christina02, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

For 13 months now I have been suffering with what I thought was hives, bed bugs, scabies, spider bites, etc. I have been to my gp, allergist, derma! I finally got a second opinion at a different dermatologist, for over a year I have suffered from exhaustion, depression, and most of all itchy red bumps that look like bites. Some were filled like a zit, only it was clear yellow liquid. They hurt but itched, burned and were red as blood. I was losing my mind! I have just returned from the doctor who finally diagnosed me with "staph"! I am a healthy 36 year old who exercises regularly, eats great and is rarely sick. How I got this is beyond me and the dr. "BUT" I have always suffered from impetigo all my life and could be the reason why it was so easy for me to contract this wonderful superbug. I'm hoping the prescription they gave me works! Will update soon!

Comment from: Mom Dukes, 65-74 Female Published: February 06

I was put on antibiotics. It site had raised pustules. I put witch hazel and alcohol on it to control the itching and pain. I finally got some relief from peroxide, but it still itch. I had two, one was on the left inner thigh and the other was on the right top thigh. My doctor prescribed a cream which I am still using. It's beginning to dry out but it still itches and stings. I also had a burn on my right arm that became infected, but it's doing better now.

Comment from: Kristen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I currently have S. aureus caused by ankle surgery. I broke my tibula and fibula, dislocating my foot. I had a plate and 11 screws put in. This is when I contracted staph. The area was extremely swollen and red. It was generating huge amounts of heat, so much so that I needed to put ice packs on it to cool it down. I was having sweaty chills and my skin was super clammy. I was munching down morphine. I still have staph but it is now managed after a week in hospital having intravenous antibiotics and a wash out of the inside of my ankle.

Comment from: ush, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

For years now, the color of my urine has been pale yellow sometimes dark yellow. Moreover I usually have constant headache and periodic fever. My bones are not strong again, and i feel week all the time, am have heart failure/HBP.boil, and painful menstruation also have swollen tonsils and lymph nodes. I went to the hospital where I was diagnosed with staphylococcus aurous. What I did not know is whether the staph is the cause of all these symptoms. And my husband is having boil on private path fever all the time.

Comment from: Charmer73, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

Well, my son had a staph infection like weeks ago. We were told it was very contagious, but didn't realize we had to worry much. I got a sore in my nose, very painful, it even had the side of the nostril the sore was in, swollen. So I went to my ENT because it was a nose problem, and when I told him about my son's condition, he said it did look like Staph. He cultured it, and unfortunately it turned out to be "MRSA" so was my son's. I am on Bactrim, and Bracoban ointment that has to be placed in the nose. I worry because I am in remission from cancer and I know how serious this can be. I want to know what triggers it into an infection that needs attention.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.