Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Experience

What did your staph infection look like?

Comment from: momofthree, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

Yesterday, my 13 year old found a deer tick on her eyelid, right in the inner corner of her eye, about 2 mm from being in her eye. I believe a nymph; that thing was so tiny I had to use reading glasses and a magnifier to identify it as a tick. We are hoping she got it yesterday. It really just looked like a dark freckle. We have a lot of wildlife in our yard, deer, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, bunnies, etc. I'm told that chipmunks and squirrels can carry deer ticks as well. She always sprays herself if going near the woods or creek. Yesterday she just went in our pool, but the deer eat the lilies around the pool and the chipmunks live in the rock walls there. Half afraid to walk to my garden!

Comment from: momo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

The gastroenteritis, stomach flu, is something that one of my relatives is affected with for two days now and has been marked with problems like diarrhea, fever, vomiting and cramps. Even though the doctor gave her medications, she cannot hold her 'thing' after bowel movements and bespatters and stains her pants. Her mother had to wash everything and she has to use diapers for her. She's more ten years old now so it's not funny.

Comment from: Sky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have suffered for about 20 years, from Epstein-Barr virus infections. My doctor never has given me any kind of medication for it. I am just taking pain medications when needed. I am getting older and this takes a lot out of me now. I don't get the bad headaches any longer but my body hurts everywhere and I am really tired all the time. What a life!

Comment from: Guy-in-central-PA, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I am just around 35 years old. I had some tinea pedis kind of thing appear in my left foot in summer 2013. After treatment with Lamisil it went away but in November it came back and after I scratched it and ended up breaking the skin sometime, I ended up getting a skin infection that shows symptoms more like staph aureus (redness, pus, itching, pain, lot of blistering, skin sloughing off). I had one course of Cephalexin (10 days), then had Doxycycline for 8 days. It seemed to have to improved it but the infection came back after 4 weeks again after a break of 2-3 weeks. Now I am on a second course of cephalexin. It has improved but not fully gone. One thing I have aggressively changed in my diet is to reduce sugars and carbs as bacteria feed off of these. Eat more fresh, green and leafy vegetables. Fruits are also sugar so keep it balanced. Good hygiene helps. I also occasionally apply turmeric powder (as a paste with water) topically (it stings) and then wash it off in lukewarm saltwater. It gives relief to me. I also drink 2 tsps. turmeric powder and some crushed pepper in 200 ml water or coconut water - usually first thing in the morning. I am hoping to successfully eradicate or achieve a balance in my body where I control the bacteria and not let it control me. All tips given here are just a recollection of what I do and not advice to anyone.

Comment from: dtunnell, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I had several regular staph infections over a 5 year period after having sinus surgery. One of those included hospitalization. In late 2004, I had a fall and within a few days I could hardly stand up. I went to the hospital and they could not find anything on an x-ray. A week later, I was still not better and my stomach was extremely distended and I returned to the emergency room. They did a culture and found MRSA. After more testing, they found a 4 x 6 mass located in my chest cavity that was eating away at my backbone that was still hard like a boil. They put me on extensive IV therapy for 12 weeks. I believe that I have ongoing health issues due to this incident.

Comment from: chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a small boil on the right side of my neck 10 years ago. In three days this boil grew to a golf ball size and what was worse, the infection spread to the right side of my face twisting my eye and the right side of my face I looked deformed. I went to the doctor who gave me a shot of antibiotic and Keflex, an antibiotic. After 5 days of going to the doctor my face started to heal and the swelling went down till my face was not twisted. I had to go to an eye doctor because my eye was infected and he told me I might lose eye sight in one eye. I had to go to a surgeon to cut out a big nasty pus filled boil. I did stay on antibiotics for a few months.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.