Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: rick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had golden staph infection in the tip of my index finger. I damaged the nail bed and contracted the disease. After a long course of antibiotics the skin on my fingers pealed so badly I had to stop the treatment. I then started having laser treatment on my pressure points up to my elbow. After 2 treatments the finger started to improve. With 3 times a week treatment it took 6 months for the staph to clear. After 2 weeks of laser treatment 3 times a week the tip of my finger started to respond to the laser treatment. I damaged my nail bed and could not form a proper nail and it took about another 5 weeks when the nail started to form up. The tip of my finger was black with pus seeping out. After 6 months 3 times a week laser it cleared up. This was 20 years ago. I had so many weeks of antibiotics. The skin on my fingers pealed so badly treatment ceased. All the pressure points up to my elbow were laser treated.

Comment from: noswindlin, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 11

I have a son who is 14. He currently has acute osteomyelitis of the left ulna. In October 2012 he had a staph infection in the right palm that localized in the right elbow and armpit. He fractured his left ulna in February 2015. Infection of the ulna occurred in June 2015. Through CT, MRI, x-ray, and multiple biopsies with lab tests, there is not any bacteria found, although his CRP count responds to clindamycin.

Comment from: bacoyds, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am going on three weeks after a week's stay in the hospital to treat my staph infection. I got massive doses of antibiotics and for a while, they thought I might lose a leg. I also have a low blood pressure so they would have I hard time doing any surgery.

Comment from: Surprised, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

About a month ago I noticed some cuts on my fingers, infected areas around my nails, etc., which I thought were just from playing too rough with my dog, yard work, nothing serious. Then these cuts just oozed clear yellow pus, never healed, and the skin began to burn and became very hot. The next week, I felt tired (same symptoms on my cuts, but worsening). Following week pain was shooting up my fingers/joints and I went to see my primary care physician (PCP). I had friends and colleagues telling me it might be shingles and could be serious. My PCP saw me for literally 30 seconds, told me it was a staph infection of some kind, prescribed me about 7 total medicines (4 antibiotics/3 topical), and told me to rest. Last week (all the below occurred in 24/36 hours when my wife and son were out of town, and I was all alone in my house) midway through the treatment, I suddenly began to feel boiling hot, sweating profusely, then freezing cold, then literally every muscle/joint began to hurt, every nerve felt like it was exposed and on fire, I could not physically move an inch, couldn't eat or drink, and my skin felt like it was on fire all over my body. I felt like I was going into shock; maybe even dying. Thank goodness I made an SOS cell phone call with literally all of the energy I had left and the recipient picked up, came to my house, took me straight to the emergency room (ER). The ER staff put 10 total IVs of fluid in me over the next seven hours (4 of water, 4 of antibiotics/anti-allergen and 2 steroid-pain killer mix), I had a 105 degree fever and rising-and I was going into shock! I was misdiagnosed by my PCP, never given a blood/fluid test to determine the actual infection, given an antibiotic that I was deathly allergic to (Bactrim) and reacting badly to and I actually had 2 strands of separate staph. My body was fighting with everything it had and I had no idea what was happening. I am a very healthy, strong, young adult male, it's the only reason (plus that SOS call), that I'm typing this as we speak. Staph is no joke folks, I had never even really heard of staph in a serious manner before this and it almost killed me. If in doubt, go get looked after!

Comment from: GinaC1981, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

It happened to me in the year of 2000. I had to go to the hospital and put on IV antibiotics. I don't remember how I got it. My leg was all red and swollen. I've dealt with the staph infection for years. It still gets swollen from time to time. I have to elevate it. I have another symptom of coughing, along with my shingles and I have night sweats, not sure why.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.