Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: bacoyds, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am going on three weeks after a week's stay in the hospital to treat my staph infection. I got massive doses of antibiotics and for a while, they thought I might lose a leg. I also have a low blood pressure so they would have I hard time doing any surgery.

Comment from: Surprised, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

About a month ago I noticed some cuts on my fingers, infected areas around my nails, etc., which I thought were just from playing too rough with my dog, yard work, nothing serious. Then these cuts just oozed clear yellow pus, never healed, and the skin began to burn and became very hot. The next week, I felt tired (same symptoms on my cuts, but worsening). Following week pain was shooting up my fingers/joints and I went to see my primary care physician (PCP). I had friends and colleagues telling me it might be shingles and could be serious. My PCP saw me for literally 30 seconds, told me it was a staph infection of some kind, prescribed me about 7 total medicines (4 antibiotics/3 topical), and told me to rest. Last week (all the below occurred in 24/36 hours when my wife and son were out of town, and I was all alone in my house) midway through the treatment, I suddenly began to feel boiling hot, sweating profusely, then freezing cold, then literally every muscle/joint began to hurt, every nerve felt like it was exposed and on fire, I could not physically move an inch, couldn't eat or drink, and my skin felt like it was on fire all over my body. I felt like I was going into shock; maybe even dying. Thank goodness I made an SOS cell phone call with literally all of the energy I had left and the recipient picked up, came to my house, took me straight to the emergency room (ER). The ER staff put 10 total IVs of fluid in me over the next seven hours (4 of water, 4 of antibiotics/anti-allergen and 2 steroid-pain killer mix), I had a 105 degree fever and rising-and I was going into shock! I was misdiagnosed by my PCP, never given a blood/fluid test to determine the actual infection, given an antibiotic that I was deathly allergic to (Bactrim) and reacting badly to and I actually had 2 strands of separate staph. My body was fighting with everything it had and I had no idea what was happening. I am a very healthy, strong, young adult male, it's the only reason (plus that SOS call), that I'm typing this as we speak. Staph is no joke folks, I had never even really heard of staph in a serious manner before this and it almost killed me. If in doubt, go get looked after!

Comment from: GinaC1981, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

It happened to me in the year of 2000. I had to go to the hospital and put on IV antibiotics. I don't remember how I got it. My leg was all red and swollen. I've dealt with the staph infection for years. It still gets swollen from time to time. I have to elevate it. I have another symptom of coughing, along with my shingles and I have night sweats, not sure why.

Comment from: Panda, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I was recently admitted to hospital with a MRSA staph infection in my left leg. There had been a small nick on the back of my calf where my doctors believe the infection got in. Unfortunately the infection was very sudden and acute, it occurred over only a matter of a few hours and I went into toxic shock from it. When the paramedics got to me my temperature was well over 108 degrees and I was rushed to emergency. I was in hospital for eight days being treated with antibiotics. The leg was initially swollen and very red, but after 3 to 4 days it blistered over a large portion of my calf and shin and has since began to scab over. I have now been out of hospital for 3 weeks and the affected area still needs to be bandaged. Thank fully the majority of the scabs has reduced and there is only a small portion of my calf that requires bandaging.

Comment from: texas gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I just found out today, that what I've had for over three years is a MRSA infection. It started out as a rash on my tail-bone. In the past year, knots in my groin area, that eventually would burst, appeared. My doctor treated it with creams and antibiotics. Finally, on my visit, about two weeks ago, she was able to culture it and phoned with the results today. I'm waiting on my prescription(s) to be filled. She has me on an antibiotic and a cream for under my finger nails and in my nostrils. I was also told to buy a certain type of soap (Hibiclens) and use that from now on. In my doctor's defense, I self-medicated for about two years before the knots presented themselves. I started going to my doctor when that occurred. Until my last visit she was unable to get a culture on my visits.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.