Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: Spooner, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been on two antibiotics for three days for MRSA/staph infection on my lower leg and it is still very painful and red. I go back to the doctor on Tuesday.

Comment from: StaphIsKillingMe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I got a boil in the crease of the upper right thigh where it meets the body, in late 2005. In Sept '09, I had the staph infection throughout the entire gland system. First in my groin, then under the breasts and finally the left armpit. The one I got in my right armpit, simply won't go away. I keep getting 10 day antibiotic courses but they never go longer than 10 days, nor do they switch the antibiotics to trick the infection into leaving. I also have type II diabetes, and psoriatic arthritis, which cannot be treated at all if I have an infection. And I just recently got a culture, and 6 weeks later after a course of Bactrim and then amoxicillin, I had another boil under my right armpit! I've been telling my doctors about this for close to two whole years, but they do nothing!

Comment from: Angel, Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It is 5 years and I am still battling a staph infection. Nothing works.

Comment from: rick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had golden staph infection in the tip of my index finger. I damaged the nail bed and contracted the disease. After a long course of antibiotics the skin on my fingers pealed so badly I had to stop the treatment. I then started having laser treatment on my pressure points up to my elbow. After 2 treatments the finger started to improve. With 3 times a week treatment it took 6 months for the staph to clear. After 2 weeks of laser treatment 3 times a week the tip of my finger started to respond to the laser treatment. I damaged my nail bed and could not form a proper nail and it took about another 5 weeks when the nail started to form up. The tip of my finger was black with pus seeping out. After 6 months 3 times a week laser it cleared up. This was 20 years ago. I had so many weeks of antibiotics. The skin on my fingers pealed so badly treatment ceased. All the pressure points up to my elbow were laser treated.

Comment from: noswindlin, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 11

I have a son who is 14. He currently has acute osteomyelitis of the left ulna. In October 2012 he had a staph infection in the right palm that localized in the right elbow and armpit. He fractured his left ulna in February 2015. Infection of the ulna occurred in June 2015. Through CT, MRI, x-ray, and multiple biopsies with lab tests, there is not any bacteria found, although his CRP count responds to clindamycin.

Comment from: audiyourmind, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I think I got my staph infection when I cut my behind, roofing after a windstorm damaged our barn. Scooting around on the roof I must have scratched my behind because two years later it itches like nothing else and it has this constant drain of clear pus. Doctor's office diagnosed it as staph and gave me this tube of cream that was smaller than my pinky finger, it lasted a week and no change. If anything the cream seemed to burn or scald my skin, so I alternated days on and days off using it, until it was gone. I'm getting tired of doctors claiming to know things yet I find out a simple remedy or that another issue was at the cause. I took my health in my own hands tonight and read that apple cider vinegar will sting like the dickens but it can help kill staph. Vinegar has the most horrible smell and it gives me posttraumatic stress disorderfrom child hood, I hate the smell of vinegar! I put some on my buttock cheeks and sure enough it stings but my backside looks like I got shot a half dozen times. These boils leak pus and harden to craters. Needless to say my sex life ground to a halt and as staph is infectious I have to get rid of this as soon as possible. I will give an update on the apple cider vinegar which I applied to a paper towel then directly to the skin, twice.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.