Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with MRSA after getting to large boils and my thigh. The doctor treated it with antibiotics and it went away. Not more than a couple weeks later I could feel another boil starting to form, so I went back to the Dr and they again started me on antibiotics, the boil subsided. Then two more returned, and since the Dr obviously wasn't "curing" the problem, I started treating it myself and have found decent results. As soon as I feel a boil forming I immediately put "refining mask" on it, it's made by Proactiv Solution. After a couple days the boil usually subsides without leaving permanent scars; however it does take a couple weeks for the dark mark deep under the skin to subside. I've also heard Tea Tree Leaf oil is being used to treat MRSA in Australia (which is an ingredient in the refining mask I use, I'm going to get some Tea Tree Leaf oil and just try using that as well. I've also heard good things about ingesting Turmeric (a plant/herb) will fight the infection from the inside (where MRSA is coming from). I wouldn't wait and leave it up to western medicine as it's mostly the cause of these "super bugs". I hope that helps anyone else suffering from this painful and humiliating infection.

Published: June 09

I had a mammoplasty 24 years ago. My left breast was so infected with Staph, which I thought it would literally fall off. It appeared to clear up after a year. Now some 24 years later, I suffer from chronic staph aureus, pseudomonas and fungal sinus infections. I go every 2 weeks to have my sinuses drained. At this stage my Specialist seems to ignoring the seriousness of my problem and affect is has on my life.

Published: June 06

I am a 13 year old girl that has been suffering with staph infection for 1 year now. It has protruded in my lips, arms, legs, and head. I don't know why I keep getting it. Medicine only makes the problem worse so i am left suffering and crying. It really is a painful feeling and when you get it you feel like you are in your last days of life. I still do not have a conclusion to my problem so every time I get I have to deal with it.

Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with my staph infection only after it had entered my blood stream and started to attack my spinal cord. I was left paralyzed as a result. I had to have emergency back surgery to remove the staph from my spine. After researching the disease afterward, I found that I may have had staph for years. I had incurable "dandruff" on my scalp, and I had white head type soars under my arm pits and in my groin area. I had seen a dermatologist a few times for my conditions and was given topical ointments that did not work. So I am putting this out to people so they can avoid what I have been through. Make sure you keep going back to the doctor and ask questions, get second opinions.

Published: June 02

My bout with MRSA lasted 10 months. I had MRSA which caused Osteomyelitis in my left hip. Vanco couldn't touch it. They finally gave me Synercid and it was gone in about 1 week. I still had trouble walking but in about 3 months everything was back to normal.

Published: June 02

My symptoms started after laporoscopic surgery I delveloped what I was told a skin yeast infection given a topical ointment and I would be fine three weeks later the infection near one of the portal inscisions healed, but I started feeling very ill. I could not keep food down or in, I then went to my family Dr. told him I was having severe pain, could not eat w/o getting physically ill, I was having terrible lower abdominal pain and I was tired, I just ached all over, he questioned if I had a drug problem, I wanted to scream. For the next month and a half I was on a strict regimine of bananas, jello, and some days I could tolerate toast, and water. Then I noticed a pimple on my face, I attempted to pop it with no luck the next day that area of my face was slightly swollen, being a holiday I just hot packed it, and could not get enough sleep. The following morning I awoke to half of my face swollen four times it actual size I could barely talked I again went to the Dr. Another physician in the office put me on antibiotics and refered me to a plastic surgeon to have the area lanced. I had it lanced and drain put in on wednesday and now four days later it is still there. I have carefully cleaned dressed and redressed the site numerous times everyday, I finally started to feel better and actually ate real food today with no stomach problems. However, I noticed another pimple inside my vaginal area and now I have an active infection there as well. I go tomorrow to hopefully have drain in my face removed and the vaginal area checked, I have been in contact with both Dr. today and they have already told me I may end up in the hospital.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.