Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Published: June 19

I have been dealing with staff for about three years. I get boils from them that are very painful and swell. I have seen five different physicians (same family practice). I tried to just ignore the boils and deal with them at first, but I found that I would get one after another. If I take an antibiotic, I only get one then after a couple of weeks to months I get another one. The most affective treatment I have had is an antibiotic shot with oral antibiotics. One physician told me that it breeds in your nose and gave me prescription antibiotic cream to put on the sore and in my nose. The physician I saw today said that if I keep getting them then he didn't understand why I wanted an antibiotic if I was just going to get it again later. I don't really have an answer other than I would rather have one than three. The boils are incredibly painful and shoot stinging pains in the area that is infected when it is drained.

Published: June 18

My son is 20 yrs old and he's been infected with the staph infection twice. He was infected when he was in job corp. It started out as a bug bite on his arm, the nurses treated with ointment and some antibiotics. He was treated for about a week. Then the bite started looking like a boil and spread to his leg. My son started feeling feverish. We took him to the hospital; they had to minor surgery on his leg to remove all the infection out of his leg. The doctor told my son was ten minutes away from death. They put him in the hospital to feed him some more antibiotics. To make sure the infection was gone. But just last week, the infection came back. It's been about 6-7 months since the infection was gone. They are testing him for cancer.

Published: June 17

I developed a staph infection about a month after I gave birth. After several failed antibiotic attempts and several doctors telling me it was only allergies, it spread all over my body. I took antibiotics for three months until it cleared. Now six months later it has returned.

Published: June 17

My husband is going on a year and a half now with resistant Staph Aureus MRSA positive. He had a foot surgery and gauze was left in his foot, causing a Staph infection in the bone. After many surgeries and multiple antibiotics, he is still battling this infection. Most recently, the Staph infection has moved to his blood stream and he has developed a skin infection on his trunk and arms which peels somewhat like a sunburn.

Published: June 17

I got this nasty bug 6 months ago, It started out as a pimple behind my left knee. Didnt think much of it then just that it didn't want to go away. Three days later my left knee was swollen, both legs were swelling from the knee down, was pale like a ghost with a fever of 102. Saw the doc that morning. Thinking I had a bad cold or something. He saw the “pimple" with all the other symptoms, ran a test & told me I had MRSA. Took Levaquin 750mg for three weeks to get well. Then found out I got it again this morning, saw doc when the red spot showed up & right knee was swollen, he says I'll be on meds for 3 months. I just hope it can make it go away.

Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with MRSA after getting to large boils and my thigh. The doctor treated it with antibiotics and it went away. Not more than a couple weeks later I could feel another boil starting to form, so I went back to the Dr and they again started me on antibiotics, the boil subsided. Then two more returned, and since the Dr obviously wasn't "curing" the problem, I started treating it myself and have found decent results. As soon as I feel a boil forming I immediately put "refining mask" on it, it's made by Proactiv Solution. After a couple days the boil usually subsides without leaving permanent scars; however it does take a couple weeks for the dark mark deep under the skin to subside. I've also heard Tea Tree Leaf oil is being used to treat MRSA in Australia (which is an ingredient in the refining mask I use, I'm going to get some Tea Tree Leaf oil and just try using that as well. I've also heard good things about ingesting Turmeric (a plant/herb) will fight the infection from the inside (where MRSA is coming from). I wouldn't wait and leave it up to western medicine as it's mostly the cause of these "super bugs". I hope that helps anyone else suffering from this painful and humiliating infection.

Published: June 09

I had a mammoplasty 24 years ago. My left breast was so infected with Staph, which I thought it would literally fall off. It appeared to clear up after a year. Now some 24 years later, I suffer from chronic staph aureus, pseudomonas and fungal sinus infections. I go every 2 weeks to have my sinuses drained. At this stage my Specialist seems to ignoring the seriousness of my problem and affect is has on my life.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.