Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Published: July 02

I first had a hang nail get severely infected. I am a tradesman and usually heal quickly but have been going through severe stress lately so didn't think too much of it. But every cut and scrape got infected then got these 'pimples', 2-3 per day, that got very sore, swelled up, pussy, and infected. Fortunately, mostly on my hands and some on my arms and chest. I started taking oregano oil. I took 4-5 drops several times a day and using tea tree oil on the wounds. I also started taking an echinacea mixture, ginkgo biloba, and Golden Seal in the morning. Only got one more of these 'pimples' and the rest have improved; less sore, swelling subsided, and some have dried up and are healing. It has been 5 days since I started 'treating' this affliction.

Published: June 20

My 19 yr. old daughter has had 5 separate staph infections since she was junior in high school. We have no idea how she became infected, but the first infection appeared as a red bump on the side of her knee, which we thought at first was a mosquito bite. It became red and swollen, and then we became concerned it was a spider bite, so took her to the dr. who said no, it's a staph infection. The dr. had to lance it and clean the wound, and put her on antibiotics. Then we had to take her to the dr. every day for a week to have the wound cleaned and rebandaged. She had to be on antibiotics for a month. It finally cleared up. Then 6 months later she had another infection on her forearm, then a few months later one under her armpit, then a few months later another one on her leg. She has not had one for about a year, and suddenly now she has two areas of infection on her lower stomach. This time the dr. told us it was MRSA. The infection doesn't seem that bad, yet...but I can't help wondering how many more of these infections is she going to have before one of them kills her? She is only 19.

Published: June 19

My 13 year old Daughter died of what we later found out through Autopsy was Staphylococcus Aureus, She was fine at bedtime just a little diarrhea but no fever, and less than 2 hours later she was Dead with a body temp of 106 degrees. In less than 2 hours it ravaged her Organs causing Massive Organ failure and brain Death. Ultimately her heart stopped and she was gone! They said there was nothing anyone could have done it was so quick.

Published: June 19

I have been dealing with staff for about three years. I get boils from them that are very painful and swell. I have seen five different physicians (same family practice). I tried to just ignore the boils and deal with them at first, but I found that I would get one after another. If I take an antibiotic, I only get one then after a couple of weeks to months I get another one. The most affective treatment I have had is an antibiotic shot with oral antibiotics. One physician told me that it breeds in your nose and gave me prescription antibiotic cream to put on the sore and in my nose. The physician I saw today said that if I keep getting them then he didn't understand why I wanted an antibiotic if I was just going to get it again later. I don't really have an answer other than I would rather have one than three. The boils are incredibly painful and shoot stinging pains in the area that is infected when it is drained.

Published: June 18

My son is 20 yrs old and he's been infected with the staph infection twice. He was infected when he was in job corp. It started out as a bug bite on his arm, the nurses treated with ointment and some antibiotics. He was treated for about a week. Then the bite started looking like a boil and spread to his leg. My son started feeling feverish. We took him to the hospital; they had to minor surgery on his leg to remove all the infection out of his leg. The doctor told my son was ten minutes away from death. They put him in the hospital to feed him some more antibiotics. To make sure the infection was gone. But just last week, the infection came back. It's been about 6-7 months since the infection was gone. They are testing him for cancer.

Published: June 17

I developed a staph infection about a month after I gave birth. After several failed antibiotic attempts and several doctors telling me it was only allergies, it spread all over my body. I took antibiotics for three months until it cleared. Now six months later it has returned.

Published: June 17

My husband is going on a year and a half now with resistant Staph Aureus MRSA positive. He had a foot surgery and gauze was left in his foot, causing a Staph infection in the bone. After many surgeries and multiple antibiotics, he is still battling this infection. Most recently, the Staph infection has moved to his blood stream and he has developed a skin infection on his trunk and arms which peels somewhat like a sunburn.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.