Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with my staph infection only after it had entered my blood stream and started to attack my spinal cord. I was left paralyzed as a result. I had to have emergency back surgery to remove the staph from my spine. After researching the disease afterward, I found that I may have had staph for years. I had incurable "dandruff" on my scalp, and I had white head type soars under my arm pits and in my groin area. I had seen a dermatologist a few times for my conditions and was given topical ointments that did not work. So I am putting this out to people so they can avoid what I have been through. Make sure you keep going back to the doctor and ask questions, get second opinions.

Published: June 02

My bout with MRSA lasted 10 months. I had MRSA which caused Osteomyelitis in my left hip. Vanco couldn't touch it. They finally gave me Synercid and it was gone in about 1 week. I still had trouble walking but in about 3 months everything was back to normal.

Published: June 02

My symptoms started after laporoscopic surgery I delveloped what I was told a skin yeast infection given a topical ointment and I would be fine three weeks later the infection near one of the portal inscisions healed, but I started feeling very ill. I could not keep food down or in, I then went to my family Dr. told him I was having severe pain, could not eat w/o getting physically ill, I was having terrible lower abdominal pain and I was tired, I just ached all over, he questioned if I had a drug problem, I wanted to scream. For the next month and a half I was on a strict regimine of bananas, jello, and some days I could tolerate toast, and water. Then I noticed a pimple on my face, I attempted to pop it with no luck the next day that area of my face was slightly swollen, being a holiday I just hot packed it, and could not get enough sleep. The following morning I awoke to half of my face swollen four times it actual size I could barely talked I again went to the Dr. Another physician in the office put me on antibiotics and refered me to a plastic surgeon to have the area lanced. I had it lanced and drain put in on wednesday and now four days later it is still there. I have carefully cleaned dressed and redressed the site numerous times everyday, I finally started to feel better and actually ate real food today with no stomach problems. However, I noticed another pimple inside my vaginal area and now I have an active infection there as well. I go tomorrow to hopefully have drain in my face removed and the vaginal area checked, I have been in contact with both Dr. today and they have already told me I may end up in the hospital.

Published: June 02

I have MRSA when the first symptoms started I thought I had a bad bug bite what was weird was their was tons of wolf spiders in my home at the time so was logical that I thought this it started on my arm 1 huge spot like a boil kind of but a big ole black spot in the middle I was sick very sick went to doctors my arm had swelled like a balloon and pus green pus was draining from it the doctor jumped back said it was staph and wrote me a prescription for antibiotics and said please leave rudely well didn't help I got sicker and my husband literately squeezed my arm causing me to be in intense pain but had to get the infection out some way I could not hear out of my ear and I continued to get this sores that looked like bug bites in different areas of my body until last year when I had an abscess as big as a football on the top inner part of my leg I almost died the did emergency surgery and I have been sick ever since I still have bug bite spots pops up a various times and have headaches now I have kidney problems and desperately wanting relief.

Published: May 28

My symptoms lasted for less than a week. After busting a pimple on the back of my neck on Monday night, I could not sleep Tuesday morning, so I went to the ER. On Wednesday, my neck and back of my head swelled enormously. And by Friday I had seen a surgeon and he immediately admmitted me to hospital for surgery.

Published: May 28

Well, first of all, I suffered at least a year and a half before I finally got diagnosed. My bumps started small but would get bigger, and I had to take care of them myself. They started on my face. Then went to my private area. I would go to the walk-in clinic on Friday afternoon and walk out with a prescription for antibiotics that didn't help. Finally, my family physician looked at two bumps that I had developed on each butt cheek, rubbing against each other. Immediately he said MRSA. I had done research on my symptoms and thought either MRSA or PCOS. I've been taking antibiotics for three weeks now and having been putting antibiotic ointment in my nose. Things are finally looking better. I finally have some energy (all I wanted to do was sleep) and generally feel better all together, but I will finish taking the antibiotics. I wish it had not gotten to the point it did, and why all these physician assistants didn't have a clue to what I had.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.