Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: Penny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

For the past 10 years, I have endured a staph infection. It got so bad that I experienced painful pus-filled boils daily. They are in my armpits and thighs. It caused me to lose my job due to the amount of sick days I took. I have not been intimate with my partner for years. It's ruining my life. All the doctor does is prescribe antibiotics that don't work. I am only 28.

Published: July 09

My symptoms lasted several months before physician knew what it was. We tried antibiotic after antibiotic and nothing helped. I had several painful boils come up on my right and left that had to be drained. Which was very painful. I also had a boil appear on the back of my right ankle. It was so painful that I could not walk. I was on some serious paid killers and my physician finally admitted me to the hospital. I was given IV antibiotics and potassium along with the paid medication that I was on. I guess that I was one of the lucky ones that it didn't affect to seriously. However, since my illness, my life has not been the same. I am prone to being more tired and my muscles and bones will ache for no special reason. My advice to anyone who thinks they may have this disease to seek treatment immediately! MY advise to anyone who thinks they may have this disease to seek treatment immediately!!!!!!!!!

Published: July 09

My boyfriend, who is 22, got his first infection when he was 21 on his right knee. It got so bad that he had to be rushed to the hospital. Then a month later he got his second one on his lower leg. He was told to wash or change his sheets every day or it could carry. A week later I ended up with Staff on my lower back. Couldn't it be transferred from towels and anything else staff touched?

Published: July 07

I have had staph infections reoccurring for roughly 6 years now. Mine appear on the inner thigh and lower back and buttocks. They appear in carbuncles. To help control these the best combination of things would be Panoxyl , Bactron Mupirocin (prescribed by your doctor) nasal ointment and topical cream. Use the topical cream on the areas where the infection is and this will in most cases prevent the need for it to be lanced and drained. Also, shower in very hot water and always use the anti-bacterial soap.

Published: July 07

I had open heart surgery for repair of the mitral valve. I was in the hospital 5 days. I was sent home with a staph infection. I started running temp of 104. I went to emergency in my home town. The doctor got on the ball. He lanced this, and my family watched him do this procedure. They said they never saw such a mess of puss, and it was terrible. I just today got off of the wound vac machine. I have suffered so much with this.

Published: July 07

My 12 month old recently got a scratch on his behind (he often scratched himself during diaper changes). A few days later I saw what looked like a bug bite next to the scratch. I wasn't too concerned until about two hours later this bug bite extended from his but to his hip. It was swollen, red and hot. I took him to his pediatrician who gave us an oral and topical antibiotic, took a culture, and told us to come back in 48 hrs. Within a day the swollen and hard area had extended so far on his leg that he could not walk. I sought a second opinion who admitted him to the hospital for IV antibiotics. He was discharged after two days and sent home w/ 10 days of oral antibiotics. The culture taken confirmed that the infection was staph. How long will my 12 month old have to take these antibiotics?

Published: July 02

I first had a hang nail get severely infected. I am a tradesman and usually heal quickly but have been going through severe stress lately so didn't think too much of it. But every cut and scrape got infected then got these 'pimples', 2-3 per day, that got very sore, swelled up, pussy, and infected. Fortunately, mostly on my hands and some on my arms and chest. I started taking oregano oil. I took 4-5 drops several times a day and using tea tree oil on the wounds. I also started taking an echinacea mixture, ginkgo biloba, and Golden Seal in the morning. Only got one more of these 'pimples' and the rest have improved; less sore, swelling subsided, and some have dried up and are healing. It has been 5 days since I started 'treating' this affliction.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.