Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: Diana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had staph infection twice once when I was 19 on my breast and if started like a if it was a zit didn't pay much attention to it until it got big and along with that I had a fever and once gone to the dr I got it taken care of I thought then last November I got it again on the same breast and since I had just return from a trip from a third world country. I thought it was just a mosquito bite but a couple of days later it grew to about half of my breast and it came back along with high fevers so I went to the ER and I got antibiotics but because of the size of it I had to have a small surgery to get rid of it, it was a long process of over a month to get healed and now any bump that I have in that same area i get it checked out to make sure is not that because staph is so painful, and been so young I feel like its hard to deal with this type of virus!

Comment from: Penny, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

For the past 10 years, I have endured a staph infection. It got so bad that I experienced painful pus-filled boils daily. They are in my armpits and thighs. It caused me to lose my job due to the amount of sick days I took. I have not been intimate with my partner for years. It's ruining my life. All the doctor does is prescribe antibiotics that don't work. I am only 28.

Published: July 09

My symptoms lasted several months before physician knew what it was. We tried antibiotic after antibiotic and nothing helped. I had several painful boils come up on my right and left that had to be drained. Which was very painful. I also had a boil appear on the back of my right ankle. It was so painful that I could not walk. I was on some serious paid killers and my physician finally admitted me to the hospital. I was given IV antibiotics and potassium along with the paid medication that I was on. I guess that I was one of the lucky ones that it didn't affect to seriously. However, since my illness, my life has not been the same. I am prone to being more tired and my muscles and bones will ache for no special reason. My advice to anyone who thinks they may have this disease to seek treatment immediately! MY advise to anyone who thinks they may have this disease to seek treatment immediately!!!!!!!!!

Published: July 09

My boyfriend, who is 22, got his first infection when he was 21 on his right knee. It got so bad that he had to be rushed to the hospital. Then a month later he got his second one on his lower leg. He was told to wash or change his sheets every day or it could carry. A week later I ended up with Staff on my lower back. Couldn't it be transferred from towels and anything else staff touched?

Published: July 07

I have had staph infections reoccurring for roughly 6 years now. Mine appear on the inner thigh and lower back and buttocks. They appear in carbuncles. To help control these the best combination of things would be Panoxyl , Bactron Mupirocin (prescribed by your doctor) nasal ointment and topical cream. Use the topical cream on the areas where the infection is and this will in most cases prevent the need for it to be lanced and drained. Also, shower in very hot water and always use the anti-bacterial soap.

Published: July 07

I had open heart surgery for repair of the mitral valve. I was in the hospital 5 days. I was sent home with a staph infection. I started running temp of 104. I went to emergency in my home town. The doctor got on the ball. He lanced this, and my family watched him do this procedure. They said they never saw such a mess of puss, and it was terrible. I just today got off of the wound vac machine. I have suffered so much with this.

Published: July 07

My 12 month old recently got a scratch on his behind (he often scratched himself during diaper changes). A few days later I saw what looked like a bug bite next to the scratch. I wasn't too concerned until about two hours later this bug bite extended from his but to his hip. It was swollen, red and hot. I took him to his pediatrician who gave us an oral and topical antibiotic, took a culture, and told us to come back in 48 hrs. Within a day the swollen and hard area had extended so far on his leg that he could not walk. I sought a second opinion who admitted him to the hospital for IV antibiotics. He was discharged after two days and sent home w/ 10 days of oral antibiotics. The culture taken confirmed that the infection was staph. How long will my 12 month old have to take these antibiotics?

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.