Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Published: July 07

I have had staph infections reoccurring for roughly 6 years now. Mine appear on the inner thigh and lower back and buttocks. They appear in carbuncles. To help control these the best combination of things would be Panoxyl , Bactron Mupirocin (prescribed by your doctor) nasal ointment and topical cream. Use the topical cream on the areas where the infection is and this will in most cases prevent the need for it to be lanced and drained. Also, shower in very hot water and always use the anti-bacterial soap.

Published: July 07

I had open heart surgery for repair of the mitral valve. I was in the hospital 5 days. I was sent home with a staph infection. I started running temp of 104. I went to emergency in my home town. The doctor got on the ball. He lanced this, and my family watched him do this procedure. They said they never saw such a mess of puss, and it was terrible. I just today got off of the wound vac machine. I have suffered so much with this.

Published: July 07

My 12 month old recently got a scratch on his behind (he often scratched himself during diaper changes). A few days later I saw what looked like a bug bite next to the scratch. I wasn't too concerned until about two hours later this bug bite extended from his but to his hip. It was swollen, red and hot. I took him to his pediatrician who gave us an oral and topical antibiotic, took a culture, and told us to come back in 48 hrs. Within a day the swollen and hard area had extended so far on his leg that he could not walk. I sought a second opinion who admitted him to the hospital for IV antibiotics. He was discharged after two days and sent home w/ 10 days of oral antibiotics. The culture taken confirmed that the infection was staph. How long will my 12 month old have to take these antibiotics?

Published: July 02

I first had a hang nail get severely infected. I am a tradesman and usually heal quickly but have been going through severe stress lately so didn't think too much of it. But every cut and scrape got infected then got these 'pimples', 2-3 per day, that got very sore, swelled up, pussy, and infected. Fortunately, mostly on my hands and some on my arms and chest. I started taking oregano oil. I took 4-5 drops several times a day and using tea tree oil on the wounds. I also started taking an echinacea mixture, ginkgo biloba, and Golden Seal in the morning. Only got one more of these 'pimples' and the rest have improved; less sore, swelling subsided, and some have dried up and are healing. It has been 5 days since I started 'treating' this affliction.

Published: June 20

My 19 yr. old daughter has had 5 separate staph infections since she was junior in high school. We have no idea how she became infected, but the first infection appeared as a red bump on the side of her knee, which we thought at first was a mosquito bite. It became red and swollen, and then we became concerned it was a spider bite, so took her to the dr. who said no, it's a staph infection. The dr. had to lance it and clean the wound, and put her on antibiotics. Then we had to take her to the dr. every day for a week to have the wound cleaned and rebandaged. She had to be on antibiotics for a month. It finally cleared up. Then 6 months later she had another infection on her forearm, then a few months later one under her armpit, then a few months later another one on her leg. She has not had one for about a year, and suddenly now she has two areas of infection on her lower stomach. This time the dr. told us it was MRSA. The infection doesn't seem that bad, yet...but I can't help wondering how many more of these infections is she going to have before one of them kills her? She is only 19.

Published: June 19

My 13 year old Daughter died of what we later found out through Autopsy was Staphylococcus Aureus, She was fine at bedtime just a little diarrhea but no fever, and less than 2 hours later she was Dead with a body temp of 106 degrees. In less than 2 hours it ravaged her Organs causing Massive Organ failure and brain Death. Ultimately her heart stopped and she was gone! They said there was nothing anyone could have done it was so quick.

Published: June 19

I have been dealing with staff for about three years. I get boils from them that are very painful and swell. I have seen five different physicians (same family practice). I tried to just ignore the boils and deal with them at first, but I found that I would get one after another. If I take an antibiotic, I only get one then after a couple of weeks to months I get another one. The most affective treatment I have had is an antibiotic shot with oral antibiotics. One physician told me that it breeds in your nose and gave me prescription antibiotic cream to put on the sore and in my nose. The physician I saw today said that if I keep getting them then he didn't understand why I wanted an antibiotic if I was just going to get it again later. I don't really have an answer other than I would rather have one than three. The boils are incredibly painful and shoot stinging pains in the area that is infected when it is drained.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.