Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: MaryS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I developed a staph infection in my brain and spinal fluid after a cervical disc surgery. I was in the hospital for about 30 days. I had mental problems like hallucinations and severe mental confusion. I had very high blood pressure and at one point almost died. It really was terrible for me. I was sent home with a Hickman line and received antibiotics for another 8 weeks.

Comment from: micheal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been experiencing reoccurring boils on my body. I did HIV, kidney function and diabetes testing, and all were negative. I took PO Augmentin, amoxcillin and even a third antibiotic and nothing worked, and the staph infection just came back. Finally I mistakenly got mupirocin instead of Bactroban ointment which I also used topical before and within 2/3 days the boils disappeared amazingly.

Comment from: JimmyCracks, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a simple staph infection in the right side of my groin area that culminated in an abscess that was extracted and packed. I was put on clindamycin as antibiotic. It is day 3 and the redness and swelling are abating, however now I have pain and stiffness in both my hip joints making it hard for me to walk, my calves are tight, and my feet are stiff. The culture from the staph has not been received back yet, but how could these two symptoms be related! I am athletic and not obese, very healthy legs, and this soreness and tightness only appeared after the procedure to remove the abscess.

Comment from: tkd, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I have been dealing with staph infection for years. The only antibiotic I used that worked was cephalexin 500mg, 4 times a day. Also as a spot treatment I use manuka honey which works really good. It brings the bump to a head and reduces it quickly. I have used many methods; right now I drink a mixture of apple cider vinegar, garlic and manuka honey to fight infections in my body so we will see if it works. I also take vitamin C daily to boost immune system. Don't let this virus ruin your life I know it's tough but doing research and given time these methods may work for you... fight on!

Comment from: ladyj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I started getting a staph infection in my inner thigh back in the summer. I self-treated that one, which looked like a boil with a core. It eventually healed up, but just recently two appeared in the same area. This time I went to my doctor, who put me on an antibiotic and also Lamisil. She put me on the Lamisil because she said the antibiotic would cause the rash I also have, not heal. I thought it kind of funny that I'm using a jock itch medicine, but after three days I can really tell a difference. The knots have gone down significantly and the rash isn't itching. I don't think you can treat this yourself, you can't.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I currently have a staph infection on my face, both on the right and the left. I am just 21 years of age and I feel as if I have had this infection forever, even though it has been only 6 months. When I first starting showing signs of this infection, I thought it was just acne, but then the bumps became more painful and bigger. I finally went to the Doctor and he prescribed antibiotics (cephalixin) to treat the infection. I have only been on it for a week and it seems to be working. I just hope my face isn't permanently scarred.

Comment from: jessica, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

I got staph infection in the bone. I tried many drugs, finally Augmentin took fever and infection away.

Comment from: the cure for staph, Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

I researched some stuff and I believe garlic is the key for staph infection. I have what is called staph infection, and it's been about two weeks. I will definitely try this method and keep you posted.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.