Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

Comment from: micheal, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been experiencing reoccurring boils on my body. I did HIV, kidney function and diabetes testing, and all were negative. I took PO Augmentin, amoxcillin and even a third antibiotic and nothing worked, and the staph infection just came back. Finally I mistakenly got mupirocin instead of Bactroban ointment which I also used topical before and within 2/3 days the boils disappeared amazingly.

Comment from: JimmyCracks, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I had a simple staph infection in the right side of my groin area that culminated in an abscess that was extracted and packed. I was put on clindamycin as antibiotic. It is day 3 and the redness and swelling are abating, however now I have pain and stiffness in both my hip joints making it hard for me to walk, my calves are tight, and my feet are stiff. The culture from the staph has not been received back yet, but how could these two symptoms be related! I am athletic and not obese, very healthy legs, and this soreness and tightness only appeared after the procedure to remove the abscess.

Comment from: Panda, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I was recently admitted to hospital with a MRSA staph infection in my left leg. There had been a small nick on the back of my calf where my doctors believe the infection got in. Unfortunately the infection was very sudden and acute, it occurred over only a matter of a few hours and I went into toxic shock from it. When the paramedics got to me my temperature was well over 108 degrees and I was rushed to emergency. I was in hospital for eight days being treated with antibiotics. The leg was initially swollen and very red, but after 3 to 4 days it blistered over a large portion of my calf and shin and has since began to scab over. I have now been out of hospital for 3 weeks and the affected area still needs to be bandaged. Thank fully the majority of the scabs has reduced and there is only a small portion of my calf that requires bandaging.

Comment from: texas gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I just found out today, that what I've had for over three years is a MRSA infection. It started out as a rash on my tail-bone. In the past year, knots in my groin area, that eventually would burst, appeared. My doctor treated it with creams and antibiotics. Finally, on my visit, about two weeks ago, she was able to culture it and phoned with the results today. I'm waiting on my prescription(s) to be filled. She has me on an antibiotic and a cream for under my finger nails and in my nostrils. I was also told to buy a certain type of soap (Hibiclens) and use that from now on. In my doctor's defense, I self-medicated for about two years before the knots presented themselves. I started going to my doctor when that occurred. Until my last visit she was unable to get a culture on my visits.

Comment from: Female27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had severe hip pain for about a week until I couldn't attend work, couldn't sleep, and couldn't walk. I also had a very deep pimple in my face that was like nothing I've had before as it was very painful. The first time I went to the doctor he said I might have tendinitis in my hip, 3 days later I was still in severe pain and went to the doctor where he got a blood sample. I was in so much pain I vomited and couldn't drive home. The doctor phoned me and concluded that I had an infection as my levels were at 400 when they were supposed to be at 5. I was emitted to the hospital and it concluded I had an abscess in my right hip that was to be drained. Since it was a deep muscle infection I was still in severe pain and went on morphine and I had clindamycin IV. I was in the hospital for 1 month and hospital in the home for another week and a half. Due to the amount of drugs and the pain I wasn't able to void (urinate) and had to have a catheter for 2 and a half months, as I had several failed voids. I had no energy and couldn't walk without crutches for a couple of weeks. I did return to work after that and used a crutch for assistance. After 3 months from being admitted to the hospital I don't need crutches anymore but I am still unable to walk far distances without intense pain and can't lie on that side of my body. I just went back to the infectious disease doctor and he told me I would be in pain for about another two months but my infection levels are normal. And would continue clindamycin until then (after the hospital I had the IV removed) and slowly getting off of strong pain killers. I was off of Endone and Targin after 2 months. However, the withdrawals from morphine is very rough. This was a deep tissue infection which he told me was rare. So I am happy with my progress so far and will hopefully be back to 100% in a couple of months. I am lucky to have my family and friends and of course medical insurance to get me through this.

Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?
Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.