Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant

Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.

Comment from: d, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a staph infection in my throat and got my tonsils out. The infection went to my hip when I was 16; that was in 1971. I was in the hospital and very sick with high fever and pain. They didn't clean out the joint, then I got another staph that went up my butt. Doctors cut it out. I always had nail infections and developed MRSA in my eye. I cut my toe on a wire and got it in my toe. I was unable to walk at age 40 and on a cane and in a wheel chair. I had severe neck and back pain. I had a hip replacement, neck surgery and back surgery. I had thumb surgery for arthritis. My body was twisted. I got severe vertigo. I went to a dermatologist who put me on doxycycline for something unrelated. My body became straight and my arthritis conditions improved. Most importantly I am able to walk without assistance. I am currently back on my exercise program. I am still in some pain but nothing like before.

Comment from: viplounger, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My daughter is 22. Over the last year she has had 5 operations to drain the MRSA infections; she has had 2 on the front of her vaginal region and the other three under her arms. I don"t know how she got it. I just wish it would go away. She is in hospital today, she has multiple infections under her arm. It's impossible to move her arm upwards due to the intense pain. She went to the hospital on Saturday and this new surgeon turned her away and told her they would go away with antibiotics. I knew they wouldn"t. But she is in there today I'm sure they won't turn her away today. I wish that everyone who has this will one day be totally cured. Good luck people.

Comment from: Ccmrsahealed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been battling MRSA for 7 months. I have been on various antibiotics to include 3 rounds of outpatient IV treatments, with clearing of original sites but continued new sores. Appearance of infection are jaw, ear, chin and forehead. I"ve had CT Scans and MRIs, both showing clear of infection or underlying cause, but have continued to have pain, swelling and drainage. The MRSA has caused damage to my inner ear (vestibular tubes) which maintain balance and send signals of movement to the brain. I"m now also undergoing vestibular physical therapy to help with severe vertigo caused by the damage. I believe that the infection is finally getting some better. I"m feeling better, still exhausted and in pain, but the sores are improving and with the drainage I have experienced lately, it feels like it is leaving. Proactive cleanser and sulfur mask have helped as much or more than any antibiotic treatment.

Comment from: blondietwostep, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with MRSA in my nasal cavity five years ago. I have seen an infectious disease specialist, an ENT, and now back to another infectious disease specialist. None have successfully helped me thus far. I am beginning to get migraines, dizziness, high blood pressure, pus and dark green discharge from my right side of nose. My jaw aches, my right ear hurts and my temples hurt. I also have neck pain. I have had neck x-rays that didn"t show anything. I have been on over 12 different antibiotics over the last five years, and nothing has helped me get rid of this infection. I am at my wit's end, and getting scared that it has spread to my brain and other parts of my head and neck. I am presently taking Cipro, which I have taken in the past, and it cleared up for two weeks, and came back to haunt me. I have requested an MRI be taken and for some odd reason the doctor rather doses me with more antibiotics, even though none has helped me.

Comment from: loveth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I've been suffering from MRSA for over 6 years now. AT first I noticed itching rashes on my private part and around my thighs. In 2012 I started having frequent urination and I went to see my doctor and had undergone a swab test and I was asked to take Augmentin and some other antibiotics. After finishing my treatment my frequent urination stopped but later I started noticing blood on my undies and the rashes are still there.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?