Patient Comments: Staph Infection - Antibiotic Resistant

Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MRSA? Please describe your experience with antibiotic resistant Staph aureus.

Comment from: Kk66, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I just found out today I have MRSA. I have a bad abscess on top of my buttock crack. I went to the doctor on Monday and they did a culture. They gave me two prescriptions. It is very painful and is draining constantly. I've been soaking in Epsom salt nightly. Hope it clears up soon. I am also take Enbrel for psoriasis and wonder if this attributed to my infection. I also work in healthcare facility and I am often around patients with MRSA.

Comment from: d floyd, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My mother had knee replacement surgery and developed an MRSA staph infection as a result. They took the artificial knee out and replaced it with a (from what I understand) a cement block containing antibiotics. She also received intravenous antibiotics. After a horrible 6 weeks they gave her a new knee replacement and said she was ok. After that she suffered from confusion and wasn't able to maintain everyday function. A year later she got very sick, couldn't breathe or think straight. I took her to the emergency room and they put her in ICU and ended up with a tube in her throat. They never diagnosed her with ammonia but suggested it. They put her in a rehabilitation hospital. Two weeks later they called me at 6 am and told me she was dead. Since then, I have heard that many patients with severe MRSA die within a year or two of this condition. I was wondering if this is actually the case. They told me she was doing great, getting better every second and all of a sudden she was gone. I got no answers from the rehab center. They said if I wanted an autopsy I would have to pay for it. Just wondered if anyone else has been through or heard of anything like this.

Comment from: d, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had a staph infection in my throat and got my tonsils out. The infection went to my hip when I was 16; that was in 1971. I was in the hospital and very sick with high fever and pain. They didn't clean out the joint, then I got another staph that went up my butt. Doctors cut it out. I always had nail infections and developed MRSA in my eye. I cut my toe on a wire and got it in my toe. I was unable to walk at age 40 and on a cane and in a wheel chair. I had severe neck and back pain. I had a hip replacement, neck surgery and back surgery. I had thumb surgery for arthritis. My body was twisted. I got severe vertigo. I went to a dermatologist who put me on doxycycline for something unrelated. My body became straight and my arthritis conditions improved. Most importantly I am able to walk without assistance. I am currently back on my exercise program. I am still in some pain but nothing like before.

Comment from: viplounger, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My daughter is 22. Over the last year she has had 5 operations to drain the MRSA infections; she has had 2 on the front of her vaginal region and the other three under her arms. I don"t know how she got it. I just wish it would go away. She is in hospital today, she has multiple infections under her arm. It's impossible to move her arm upwards due to the intense pain. She went to the hospital on Saturday and this new surgeon turned her away and told her they would go away with antibiotics. I knew they wouldn"t. But she is in there today I'm sure they won't turn her away today. I wish that everyone who has this will one day be totally cured. Good luck people.

Comment from: Ccmrsahealed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been battling MRSA for 7 months. I have been on various antibiotics to include 3 rounds of outpatient IV treatments, with clearing of original sites but continued new sores. Appearance of infection are jaw, ear, chin and forehead. I"ve had CT Scans and MRIs, both showing clear of infection or underlying cause, but have continued to have pain, swelling and drainage. The MRSA has caused damage to my inner ear (vestibular tubes) which maintain balance and send signals of movement to the brain. I"m now also undergoing vestibular physical therapy to help with severe vertigo caused by the damage. I believe that the infection is finally getting some better. I"m feeling better, still exhausted and in pain, but the sores are improving and with the drainage I have experienced lately, it feels like it is leaving. Proactive cleanser and sulfur mask have helped as much or more than any antibiotic treatment.

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted Question: How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?
Staph Infection - Experience Question: What did your staph infection look like?