Patient Comments: Sporotrichosis - Treatment

What type of treatment, including medication, did you receive for sporotrichosis?

Comment from: onehorsemom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I work in a floral shop and in April 2014 my finger began to split and itch and peel and they hurt to touch anything. A month of pain and splitting fingers I finally sought treatment. Doctor's opinion was that my skin was too dry, and he told me to use hand cream. Two months later finally I got a referral to a dermatologist who pretty much had no clue what I had. He put me on steroids and told me to use hand cream all day long. No relief. On my own I tried everything I could find and finally two months ago started using fungal cream. It helped and some fingers healed. I still have two involved. My daughter who is pharmacy school called me last night and told me what was wrong. They had gone over sporotrichosis in class. It was everything I had. Now I'm back to using the fungal cream because I know it will work. Two doctors had no idea what it was!

Comment from: Sim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I got sporotrichosis, with ulcer on index finger and red line up my arm with nodules in lymph canal, from handling sphagnum moss. I have been on itraconazole for 1 month. Side effect of medication after a month is liver enzymes extremely elevated with brown urine caused by medication. I had to stop medication to stop further damage to liver.

Comment from: Gail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was gardening and pricked my finger. I tried to dig out what appeared to be a splinter. Finger became infected and very painful. I also had lumps removed. This happened 4 years ago. After many tests, etc., I was told that I had chronic sporotrichosis. I have had Sporanox for 7 months. I was off medication for 2 months and another painful lump has appeared. I had a CT scan because of pains in my chest. It was picked up that I have apical pleural thickening and am told that this is caused from sporotrichosis. I am back on Sporanox (3rd day). The prescription is for an additional 7 months.

Comment from: michelew, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I received itraconazole for 1 month and soaked thumb in hot water with Epsom salt. The ulcer was gone within 1 week.

Sporotrichosis - Symptoms Question: Describe your signs and symptoms of sporotrichosis.
Sporotrichosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests that led to a diagnosis of sporotrichosis.
Sporotrichosis - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of sporotrichosis in you or someone you know?