Patient Comments: Sporotrichosis - Symptoms

Describe your signs and symptoms of sporotrichosis.

Comment from: bbas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

July 25th I pricked by rose bush clipping. I was not gardening, but picked up a rose on a sidewalk so no one would get hurt. Stupid me. Thought nothing of it, but that it hurt my index finger and I went to dig thorns out. Yes, bad idea. Four days later forearm begins to hurt. I thought it was tendonitis. Wrong again. Two days later I have a blistering on heel of hand and thought it was from latex gloves and job related. Maybe looked like poison ivy? Wrong again and again. Two days later I have red line going up my arm stemming from the blistering ulcer. Went to the ER and they thought it was shingles. Wrong again. Another doctor said it was sporotrichosis rose bush gardener's disease. Rx for itracanzole given for 2 weeks and see my doctor in 2-4 days; sticker shock at the $200 per week's dose. So $400, doctor visit, and derm visits I am at 600 bucks so far I am now waiting to see what derm says next visit. To me it looks and feels better. Still ugly but now purple and pain is much much less. It also has affected my lymph nodes in my under arm. All articles say it is painless. Not true!!! Ulcer and lymph node pain is unbearable. I was given Vicodin. How do i know when this fungal infection is truly gone besides the ugly purple splotch is gone?

Comment from: shrinkdoc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have now had sporotrichosis twice. Both times it occurred after being scratched by rose thorns, and both times it began as a severely swollen joint on my index finger (different hands each time though). Although the information I have read said it has an incubation period of a week to many months, the second time I got it happened on the same day as the rose thorn scratches. The joints became so swollen and painful that the skin began to split over the knuckle. The first time, diagnosis took a long time since most physicians seem to never have seen a case – only to have studied it for their boards. The second time, I was told that the swelling occurred too quickly for it to be sporotrichosis. But the physician ran many other tests, looking for infection, autoimmune disease, a broken bone, etc., and all came back negative. She could not account for a rapidly swelling knuckle in any way but is reluctant to believe that I could be that sensitive to the fungus that I could react so quickly. So I have not yet been able to convince her to try me on itraconazole, which worked well the first time. I guess I have to wait again for the skin to split open and ooze before she will take me seriously. It's very frustrating.

Sporotrichosis - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests that led to a diagnosis of sporotrichosis.
Sporotrichosis - Treatment Question: What type of treatment, including medication, did you receive for sporotrichosis?
Sporotrichosis - Causes Question: What was the suspected cause of sporotrichosis in you or someone you know?