Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Causes

What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Niven, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I too like many of the people here, suffer with L5, S1 spondylolisthesis. My spine has degenerated and slipped causing untold amounts of pain and it is 24/7 with lack of sleep caused by the pain. I also get referred pain in my left side of abdomen and numbness in legs and pins and needles in feet etc. I am at the stage where I need surgery and have been offered one last thing which are facet joint injections as I have had epidural and root nerve and pars injections which have only taken away the numbness for a short while but now I"m back at square one again. I am very frightened at the thought of surgery and when I have my appointment after I have had the facet joint injections, I will go with the surgery option as I think as I have tried all other treatments. It is very important to keep going as best as you can but everybody copes differently and my heart goes out to you all.

Comment from: myrn42189, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I am 56 year old Nurse with an X-ray that shows spondylolisthesis grade 1 my MRI shows grade 1 anterolisthesis and advanced/severe facet arthropathy. Call it what you will I have most recently been out of work for 6 days and have applied for FMLA to protect my job. The hamstring pain, tightness, and electric shock that shoots down my right leg to my foot is excruciating. I can walk 3 or 4 feet and then I have to bend over to relieve it. I am a recovering addict so NSAIDs acetaminophen, anti-seizure medication for nerve pain and rest are what helps after about four days. I feel so depressed and fearful during these episodes and I feel like I just don't want to live like that. This last episode I am not sure if my brief yoga practice initiated the exacerbation or what it was. I am getting ready to get back to work and I am afraid with every movement it will happen again. I am trying to take it one day at a time and am scheduled for my second epidural. The cause old age ... degenerative arthritis and 25 years of nursing...

Comment from: 64 and feel like 100, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had degenerative arthritis of my neck when I was about 50. After being sent from Dr. to Dr. I demanded to see a rheumatologist. He took an x-ray, send no wonder I hurt, send I had degenerative arthritis, around C5 I think. I never had neck pain only headaches and muscle spasms in my shoulders. He gave me Diclofenac, worked like a miracle and took it for years. I am now 64, considered myself healthy. One year ago I caught my tiny 4 year old granddaughter in the pool over my head. The sharp hyperextension of my back caused the spondylolisthesis in my lower back. I probably already had arthritis there but was pain free. After a year of PT and taking pain meds at least twice a day and muscle relaxants, I am considering fusion of L4-L5-S1. The last is the most severe; I can feel the bone sticking out of my back. "Only" grade 2, also severe spinal stenosis. In engineering terms it seems like this will only get worse and I will be older and less able to deal with surgery. Concerned about the after surgery pain, long recovery and they say will still have some back pain.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I hurt my back over 25 years ago, and have been in a lot of pain with my back, hips, legs. Often crying with the pain. The doctors have never been bothered about my back. I only found out, when I visited a physo. looked at my back and said you have spondylolisthesis, but nothing had been done about it and now I have been diagnosed with ms. I just do my housework over a week as that is all I can cope with.

Comment from: nikki100, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have a grade 3 (75%) L5/S1 spondylolisthesis - my consultant says it is congenital. I refused a spine fusion 5 years ago, although I have suffered intermittent pain it hasn't been too bad until recently. My life feels as though it has just stopped and I am uncertain now as to how to proceed. I was always anti-surgery and kept fit and active, however that doesn't seem to be effective any longer.

Comment from: Celticlove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I already submitted a long scenario of my conditions, age, and symptoms. I think I also said what caused my spondy. When I was 4 years old I ran out in front of a car and was run over. My pelvis was broken in two places and my left femur was also fractured. I was in a body cast for months, did intense PT, and had to learn to walk all over again. I could never run, and always walked with a limp. I fooled the doctors. I ended up one heck of an athlete – until September of 2012. I am now waiting disability so I can get my MRI and then see a specialist. I'm 49, have grade 4 anterior, along with spinal stenosis, bone spurs, neuropathy, and sciatica. Happy days – not.

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?