Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Causes

What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: annoysmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in 1978. I was having some back pain while jogging and after an X-ray, it showed my L4 was connected with cartilage. The vertebrae above and below had shifted out of place. My doctor gave me a set of exercises to do daily to strengthen my abdominal muscles which I have done pretty faithfully for over 30 years. They have been a lifesaver! That, along with anti-inflammatory medications, has allowed me to live a pretty normal life. I am always very careful to take the drug after a meal so I am not taking it on an empty stomach.

Comment from: hbinwebb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I don't know what caused my spondylolisthesis. The Dr. says probably the fact that I have Osteoarthritis in my spine. I thought I pulled something because the most severe part of the pain started on July 4th 2011 at work. I'm a CNA, so I have a very active job. I have done Chiropractic, PT, Pain injections (in my spine), pain medicine and just last week a percutaneous rhizotomy. It hurt so bad that I woke up (out of the anesthesia). Next step is a surgery to put a bracket on my spine to hold the vertebra in place. Not looking forward to it. I am praying that this rhizotomy works. Went back to work today for the first time after the surgery and my back hurt so bad after work, I came home and am not moving from my chair. I guess I'm willing to do anything to fix this. I don't wont to live with this pain for ever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My orthopedic surgeon said that I was either born with the problem or that I was injured as a child. I didn't have any pain problems until my mid-50's; he said I have some degree of arthritis developing in my spine, so it is probably what brought it to the surface.

Published: October 11

I just found out today that I have it at age 45. Totally active guy who still works out but was told today to hold up on working out till a spinal surgeon evaluates mri. Tthey think the disc has moved 7mm. have had terrible pain in legs and lower back and finally went to have it checked after dealing with it for 15 months. I hope I don't have to have surgery.

Comment from: jane, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My daughter who is 8 years has just been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. The doctor believes she has had the condition since birth. The doctor had advised us to trial physio and analgesia. Some days she wakes up crying and can barely walk other days more mild symptoms.

Comment from: jonny c, Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had lower back pain for the past 19 years or so. I am in the military and just assumed that lower back pain is the standard price paid for the line of work I do. In the past 6 months the pain has worsened to the point that I have numbness in my lower back and legs. Last week my physical therapist took several x-rays of my lower back. I have spnondylolithesis potentially of both the degenerative and traumatic types. I now have arthritic issues (growths) and a cracked vertebrate as well. My pain is increasingly getting worse to point where everything I do to include sleeping is being affected. I am so tired of living with the amount of pain I must endure daily. I don't do too good with standard prescription pain medications so I am wondering if I should push my orthopedic surgeon to perform surgery (spinal fusion).

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?