Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Causes

What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have spondylolisthesis and the pain in my buttocks and legs is horrid. Pain medications don't help, and the doctor won't give me an injection. So I have been trying massage and acupuncture. It helps. My pain most days is about half of what it was before I tried these.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Although I have been told that my spondylolisthesis is degenerative, the pain began about three years ago after a running injury. Since that time, I have lived with pain and stiffness. I thought something was wrong with my hip and so was surprised with the diagnosis. I am planning to have a fusion in July. I cannot wait. I don't like feeling limited. I want to get back to my active life.

Comment from: tilly41, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I feel like I'm reading about myself on everyone's post. I have had severe back pain for the last 6 years. My MRI shows spondyloithesis, degenerative disc disease L4,5 and S1. Sometimes I can feel bone grinding on bone. I do walk on an incline on the treadmill and to strength training to stay toned. I need to be very careful when trying to work my core. I have been told by several Dr's that pt does not help and to be careful with anything that would cause twisting action to work my core. My children are 12 and 8 and I feel I'm missing out on a lot of play time with them. I have had steroid injections that helped for about 3 weeks then all I had were side effects from the steroids. I currently take pain meds to get through the day. They do help but I don't want to rely on pain Meds the rest of my life. I have heard very little from people who have had surgery and were satisfied with the result and many have had more than 1 surgery. My doctor tells me to hold off as long as I can. I'm a nurse my job is bending lifting and twisting. There are some days that I can't even bend over to pick up a sock off the floor. I Do NOT want to spend the rest of my life like this and also don't want many surgeries. I feel HELPLESS! I have a lot of family support and I'm grateful but enough is enough.

Comment from: annoysmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in 1978. I was having some back pain while jogging and after an X-ray, it showed my L4 was connected with cartilage. The vertebrae above and below had shifted out of place. My doctor gave me a set of exercises to do daily to strengthen my abdominal muscles which I have done pretty faithfully for over 30 years. They have been a lifesaver! That, along with anti-inflammatory medications, has allowed me to live a pretty normal life. I am always very careful to take the drug after a meal so I am not taking it on an empty stomach.

Comment from: hbinwebb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I don't know what caused my spondylolisthesis. The Dr. says probably the fact that I have Osteoarthritis in my spine. I thought I pulled something because the most severe part of the pain started on July 4th 2011 at work. I'm a CNA, so I have a very active job. I have done Chiropractic, PT, Pain injections (in my spine), pain medicine and just last week a percutaneous rhizotomy. It hurt so bad that I woke up (out of the anesthesia). Next step is a surgery to put a bracket on my spine to hold the vertebra in place. Not looking forward to it. I am praying that this rhizotomy works. Went back to work today for the first time after the surgery and my back hurt so bad after work, I came home and am not moving from my chair. I guess I'm willing to do anything to fix this. I don't wont to live with this pain for ever.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

My orthopedic surgeon said that I was either born with the problem or that I was injured as a child. I didn't have any pain problems until my mid-50's; he said I have some degree of arthritis developing in my spine, so it is probably what brought it to the surface.

Published: October 11

I just found out today that I have it at age 45. Totally active guy who still works out but was told today to hold up on working out till a spinal surgeon evaluates mri. Tthey think the disc has moved 7mm. have had terrible pain in legs and lower back and finally went to have it checked after dealing with it for 15 months. I hope I don't have to have surgery.

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?