Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Causes

What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: 64 and feel like 100, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had degenerative arthritis of my neck when I was about 50. After being sent from Dr. to Dr. I demanded to see a rheumatologist. He took an x-ray, send no wonder I hurt, send I had degenerative arthritis, around C5 I think. I never had neck pain only headaches and muscle spasms in my shoulders. He gave me Diclofenac, worked like a miracle and took it for years. I am now 64, considered myself healthy. One year ago I caught my tiny 4 year old granddaughter in the pool over my head. The sharp hyperextension of my back caused the spondylolisthesis in my lower back. I probably already had arthritis there but was pain free. After a year of PT and taking pain meds at least twice a day and muscle relaxants, I am considering fusion of L4-L5-S1. The last is the most severe; I can feel the bone sticking out of my back. "Only" grade 2, also severe spinal stenosis. In engineering terms it seems like this will only get worse and I will be older and less able to deal with surgery. Concerned about the after surgery pain, long recovery and they say will still have some back pain.

Comment from: Celticlove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I already submitted a long scenario of my conditions, age, and symptoms. I think I also said what caused my spondy. When I was 4 years old I ran out in front of a car and was run over. My pelvis was broken in two places and my left femur was also fractured. I was in a body cast for months, did intense PT, and had to learn to walk all over again. I could never run, and always walked with a limp. I fooled the doctors. I ended up one heck of an athlete – until September of 2012. I am now waiting disability so I can get my MRI and then see a specialist. I'm 49, have grade 4 anterior, along with spinal stenosis, bone spurs, neuropathy, and sciatica. Happy days – not.

Comment from: debbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I hurt my back over 25 years ago, and have been in a lot of pain with my back, hips, legs. Often crying with the pain. The doctors have never been bothered about my back. I only found out, when I visited a physo. looked at my back and said you have spondylolisthesis, but nothing had been done about it and now I have been diagnosed with ms. I just do my housework over a week as that is all I can cope with.

Comment from: nikki100, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have a grade 3 (75%) L5/S1 spondylolisthesis - my consultant says it is congenital. I refused a spine fusion 5 years ago, although I have suffered intermittent pain it hasn't been too bad until recently. My life feels as though it has just stopped and I am uncertain now as to how to proceed. I was always anti-surgery and kept fit and active, however that doesn't seem to be effective any longer.

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have spondylolisthesis and the pain in my buttocks and legs is horrid. Pain medications don't help, and the doctor won't give me an injection. So I have been trying massage and acupuncture. It helps. My pain most days is about half of what it was before I tried these.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Although I have been told that my spondylolisthesis is degenerative, the pain began about three years ago after a running injury. Since that time, I have lived with pain and stiffness. I thought something was wrong with my hip and so was surprised with the diagnosis. I am planning to have a fusion in July. I cannot wait. I don't like feeling limited. I want to get back to my active life.

Comment from: tilly41, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I feel like I'm reading about myself on everyone's post. I have had severe back pain for the last 6 years. My MRI shows spondyloithesis, degenerative disc disease L4,5 and S1. Sometimes I can feel bone grinding on bone. I do walk on an incline on the treadmill and to strength training to stay toned. I need to be very careful when trying to work my core. I have been told by several Dr's that pt does not help and to be careful with anything that would cause twisting action to work my core. My children are 12 and 8 and I feel I'm missing out on a lot of play time with them. I have had steroid injections that helped for about 3 weeks then all I had were side effects from the steroids. I currently take pain meds to get through the day. They do help but I don't want to rely on pain Meds the rest of my life. I have heard very little from people who have had surgery and were satisfied with the result and many have had more than 1 surgery. My doctor tells me to hold off as long as I can. I'm a nurse my job is bending lifting and twisting. There are some days that I can't even bend over to pick up a sock off the floor. I Do NOT want to spend the rest of my life like this and also don't want many surgeries. I feel HELPLESS! I have a lot of family support and I'm grateful but enough is enough.

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?