Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: In pain in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I originally had back surgery back in 2008. It did not go well, and I had the rod and screws put in and fusion done, but the doctor has since then lost his surgery privileges apparently. I am left with pain in my middle back as the disc just above the rod and the disc just below the rod are now degenerated. It is very depressing, plus about 3 years ago, I started having osteoarthritis in my hips as well. I am in pain a lot and often cannot get up unassisted from a chair. I am trying to lose weight, but it is very hard when you cannot move without some sort of pain in your back or hips. I understand how much each of you feels your pain; I go through the same thing, being depressed and trying to stay positive. I have degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis, but the last doctor said it wasn"t very bad. He obviously does not have pain every day like me and all the others. I am concerned that as I age, I will be unable to walk or stand because my back does not feel strong enough to hold me up sometimes. I have numbness and sciatica in my legs. I wanted to try the laser treatments, but apparently the surgical group does not take my insurance.

Comment from: cgholtz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had surgery for my spondylolisthesis on March 24. Immediately I could walk normal again but I am still very stiff and in some pain. I am glad I got the surgery but I wonder how long these symptoms will last.

Comment from: mom of 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at age 14 at L4 L5 grade III. I wore a brace, tried traction and had spinal fusion at age 15. I am now 45 and have daily pain, and have now been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease of L3. I have had one steroid injection and am slated to have 2 more in the next 6 weeks. I am glad I had the surgery, because it saved me from being paralyzed. I am hoping the injections will relieve the pain.

Comment from: success story, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I was diagnosed in 1991 with Spondylolithesis at L5 S1. I was 16. At that time, I tried the medications, physical therapy and back brace. After 2 years of pain and trying to be a normal teenage girl I made the decision to have the spinal fusion surgery in May 1993. For me, it was one of the best decisions I ever could have made! I had the old style surgery with the battle scars to prove it. It was a week in the hospital, 12 weeks on bed rest, 18 months for the bone in my hip to grow back and to this day my hip tells me when it is going to rain, but I would not trade that! I have not had handicap parking since 1994. I do not take pain medication. I do have regular massages which is all I need to keep the remaining discomfort at bay. As my doctor put it, the surgery is not a cure but a treatment option. He is retired now or I would be recommending him to all of you. He gave me my life back. Don't give up until you find the right treatment option for you.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed at age 12 due to lower back pain. Mine is the congenital type. I finally knew it was time to do something at age 45 when I had horrific pain down my legs alternating with numbness. A simple x-ray revealed that I no longer had a disk between L5 and S1. After an anterior-posterior decompression and fusion, I live with chronic pain, but have a stable back. I am able to exercise regularly and move better than I have in years. Even though I take medication for pain everyday, I am very happy with my result.

Comment from: So, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I just discovered an undiagnosed L4 dislocation. I went to several orthopedic doctors. I had MRI. It wasn't until I went to this site that I realized what in truth is wrong. I suffered severe fall 5 and a half years ago. The hospital, after I arrived via ambulance, only concentrated on my upper body, multiple fractures, dislocated shoulder and head injury. Years later, back pain became disabling. I went back to trauma doctor. He x-rayed my lower back and there it was; spondylolisthesis. Now, after MRI, steroid injections - massive facet shots, and epidural shots I am in more pain than before. I was told I need severe open back surgery with caging and brace for a year. Looking for solutions. This site is great.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?