Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: achin back., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Taking medicine alone is not a cure for spondylolisthesis. They can be good but you also need to maintain your spine stability with pelvic tilt exercises and hamstring stretching. I lie on the floor with my legs up on the chair or couch several times a day to try to make my L5 return to a more normal position. I also sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees. If you don't do the right exercise and stretches your condition will get worse.

Comment from: AccidentProne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

When I was 21 I was in a motorcycle accident, most everything was apparently ok. Five years after my accident my back started hurting terribly. I called out sick for a day at work, but pain was manageable so I stayed home. Next day pain was still present but I decided to go to work anyway, and had a huge safety violation because I was distracted by pain. I called out sick again the next day and went to the hospital. I had to beg for an MRI, waited 6 hours to get it. I was misdiagnosed with a herniated disc from the emergency room. When I followed up with a specialist who confirmed it was spondylolisthesis. Drugs made it bearable but still painful. I ran out of drugs and could not get a physician to refill me a prescription. Finally I followed up with a neurologist as well for a second opinion. My neurologist prescribed me gabapentin 300 mg three times a day. After 1 month the drug really took effect and I barely felt any pain. Just a thought for you guys for pain management. Gabapentin has some side effects that rarely happen. I've lost motor functions or coordination for small amounts of time so please be careful. Honestly though, between the side effects and the pain I choose the side effects.

Comment from: wdzkjr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I had surgery ALIF (anterior lumbar underbody fusion) at S1-L5 for spondylolisthesis and my surgeon went through the front side. I was 57 and had to do something as pain and numbness were a daily ordeal and the pain medicines were getting where they were not good. I had horrific pain down my legs with numbness. There was no longer a disc between L5 and S1. A few days in the hospital, about another week in bed and then 4 on a walker and I was up and going. I really did not need the walker but was more of a precautionary measure. One year later, I work out 3 times a week in the gym with the same weight as at 45 years old now. Getting off the pain medicines resulted in more improvement as anything else after the surgery. If you still have pain, get off the medicines for 3 months minimum before thinking you have not had significant improvements!

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have been diagnosed with grade 2 spondylolisthesis at the age of 20. At the moment I am struggling day to day with pain, and the balance of using narcotics and other medications to help, and using as little as possible. I am currently studying nursing, and have been told by my doctor to reconsider my career goals. Which absolutely sucks. I have been doing physical therapy and am about to have my second steroid injection, the first one didn't help! They are thinking of sending me for surgery.

Comment from: In pain in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I originally had back surgery back in 2008. It did not go well, and I had the rod and screws put in and fusion done, but the doctor has since then lost his surgery privileges apparently. I am left with pain in my middle back as the disc just above the rod and the disc just below the rod are now degenerated. It is very depressing, plus about 3 years ago, I started having osteoarthritis in my hips as well. I am in pain a lot and often cannot get up unassisted from a chair. I am trying to lose weight, but it is very hard when you cannot move without some sort of pain in your back or hips. I understand how much each of you feels your pain; I go through the same thing, being depressed and trying to stay positive. I have degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis, but the last doctor said it wasn"t very bad. He obviously does not have pain every day like me and all the others. I am concerned that as I age, I will be unable to walk or stand because my back does not feel strong enough to hold me up sometimes. I have numbness and sciatica in my legs. I wanted to try the laser treatments, but apparently the surgical group does not take my insurance.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?