Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: mandidawn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

This disease is a very depressing thing to deal with. It makes daily functions seem impossible sometimes. I am 23 years old and was diagnosed when I was 13. It's very painful, and I feel old. I had two children and my condition severely worsened after that. I fee useless. It's hard for me to take care of my kids or even hold a job. If I even slightly injure myself, both my legs go numb, and I have to go in and get my Cortizone shot. No pain killers because of a contract with the FDA that I'm on. It makes it hard to function. I'm scared to get surgery.

Comment from: ShanKacie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I'm 25 years old and I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis last year. I went to physical therapy and was able to strengthen my core muscles to help ease the pain in my back. I notice that if I exercise on a regular basis the pain is significantly less, but I don't always have the time. I wear icy hot patches to help dull the pain on a daily basis, but would love to find a daily pill or something that would work better. I would prefer to not have to have surgery. I too, am planning on having children in the next few years and would like to get this under control before adding extra weight and strain to my back.

Comment from: torence, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in May 2009. I'm only 27. They thought it happened years ago when I ws a teenager. I had steroid injections in June that helped for a couple months, but now the pain is everyday and I can feel it and it makes my stomach churn. I would like fusion surgery, but I am scared I'll end up paralysed or something. It makes me so sad sometimes, I'm even worried about getting pregnant because of the weight it will put on my back.

Comment from: Babie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have spondylolisthesis L4-S1 and live with chronic back and leg pain. I had a laminectomy in 2007 which was unsuccessful and I am now considering a fusion surgery. I stay active, but I am very tired of the pain. I'm on Lyrica which has helped a little. I was encouraged to hear of the successful fusion surgeries.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis, since then I've joined the military and began working out regularly. It seems the more I work out and the stronger I become the better my back is. I hardly have any pain anymore. So hang in there and get to the gym! Take one step at a time.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a lumbar fusion in December and have improved greatly. I believe that because I chose one of the best surgeons was the reason for this.

Comment from: clf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have spondylothesis and osteoarthritis in my back and knees. I found a physical therapy facility that had aqua therapy. I am obese and walking or any activity done standing was very painful for my back and my arthritic knees. The water therapy helped the pain in my legs and back. I was able to exercise without my weight being a problem. I am 5'6 and was exercising in water 4'5". I found that when I was in the water most of my pain disappeared.

Comment from: ladyrose1239, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I understand the pain you are living with. I live with this pain day in and day out. Physical therapy is a total waste of time. I've tried most pain medications/muscle relaxants. Praying and meditation is the best way to help relieve the pain to a degree where I can go to work and keep moving. Resting is the worst thing I can do for the pain. It only gets worse. Ultram medication helps to a degree. Soma helps with the bulging disk. Stenosis/Spondylothesis/Bulging Disk that is affecting a nerve. My advice to anyone who lives with this lower back pain is to KEEP MOVING. It seems the more you move your body, the better you feel. You can't just sit in a chair and think about the pain. You have to get up, get going and attempt to not allow it to rule your life. No matter how bad the pain is MOVE.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?