Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis yesterday. I am 28 years old and a competitive kick boxer. I'm finding the prognosis quite depressing. I start physical therapy this week to work on strengthening my core and flexibility. Here's hoping I see positive results.

Comment from: Babie, 55-64 Female Published: March 29

I was curious about the 81 year old who had a successful surgery. Congratulations on the success! I'm afraid to have the fusion, but have found a reputable neurosurgeon that I respect. He did warn me, though, that most likely I would need another surgery down the line because of damage on the spine above the spondylolisthesis. But my quality of life is greatly affected now with the chronic pain in legs and back so am seriously considering the fusion. It is so helpful to hear of what others are going through - one is not alone with the pain. I continue to be active, but have to rest at night which does not help any longer with the pain.

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis in 1979 aged 16 at L4 & L5. I had a spinal fusion in 1980 and a disectomy in 1986. I have had long periods with no problems or pain but also periods where I have been incapacitated and in severe pain. I do think that exercise helps and I get regular exercise myself, I have found low-impact to be best such as walking.

Comment from: JEANINA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis 8 years ago, the pain was bad then and it just gets worst, it interferes with daily activities, it interferes with sleep, it hurts so bad in the morning you can barely get out of bed and then it takes an hour before you can move, your back will lock up from doing the simplest things like brushing your teeth, and forget weeding out the garden, last time I did I couldn't move for 4 days, not to mention the tighten of your hamstrings, and the sciatic pain, but the most hurtful part of this, was not being able to play and dance with my children, as I had before when my first son was young before this all happened, I actually had spondylolisthesis when I got pregnant with my second son, the bigger my belly got the more intense the pain got I would cry and cry and could not take anything. I was been told by many not to get the surgery 9 out of 10 times it does not help, and actually for our condition it will make it worse because it causes a stiffening of the back, we all know we are stiff enough, finally I do have some relief I've been on pain meds for about 8 months, don't get me wrong I still have some pain, but not to the point of crying I am able to do more with my kids, medication has really given me my life back before I felt like I was 90,now I'm 36 and feel like 45,its a big improvement, how was this possible you might be asking yourself, got to a regular MD, all the ortho. will do is send you to PT then opt. for surgery.

Comment from: mandidawn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

This disease is a very depressing thing to deal with. It makes daily functions seem impossible sometimes. I am 23 years old and was diagnosed when I was 13. It's very painful, and I feel old. I had two children and my condition severely worsened after that. I fee useless. It's hard for me to take care of my kids or even hold a job. If I even slightly injure myself, both my legs go numb, and I have to go in and get my Cortizone shot. No pain killers because of a contract with the FDA that I'm on. It makes it hard to function. I'm scared to get surgery.

Comment from: ShanKacie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I'm 25 years old and I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis last year. I went to physical therapy and was able to strengthen my core muscles to help ease the pain in my back. I notice that if I exercise on a regular basis the pain is significantly less, but I don't always have the time. I wear icy hot patches to help dull the pain on a daily basis, but would love to find a daily pill or something that would work better. I would prefer to not have to have surgery. I too, am planning on having children in the next few years and would like to get this under control before adding extra weight and strain to my back.

Comment from: torence, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in May 2009. I'm only 27. They thought it happened years ago when I ws a teenager. I had steroid injections in June that helped for a couple months, but now the pain is everyday and I can feel it and it makes my stomach churn. I would like fusion surgery, but I am scared I'll end up paralysed or something. It makes me so sad sometimes, I'm even worried about getting pregnant because of the weight it will put on my back.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?