Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Char, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a 49 year old female I have Spondylolisthesis L4 L5. I have had back pain since 2004. I take pain medication to sleep and everyday is a challenge to get out of bed. I stay depressed most of the time. I have had the injections and they did not help. I am scared to have the surgery. I feel lost and alone.

Comment from: Celebrant, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

Hi I had spondylolisthesis when I was 32 and I had several operations to try and fix it now I live with pain and take pain killers to get through the day. I am sick of surgery aHi I had spondylolisthesis when I was 32 and I had several operations to try and fix it now I live with pain and take pain killers to get through the day. I am sick of surgery and the doctors say lose weight, which I have and the pain is worse than ever before. nd the doctors say loose weight which I have and it is worse than ever before.

Comment from: llcrizav@aol.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

This is a very good web site, Congratulations! My name is Luz and I suffering of Spondylolisthesis L5-S1. Normally, I manage the pain without medication but recently I came down from my kitchen ladder and I missed the first step hurting my back. After this, one night my pain was very strong and sharp and for first time, I was injected on my back to help me with my pain. I am looking for more support for patients that having my problem and they were in surgery already. I don't know if I should get the surgery or not.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis yesterday. I am 28 years old and a competitive kick boxer. I'm finding the prognosis quite depressing. I start physical therapy this week to work on strengthening my core and flexibility. Here's hoping I see positive results.

Comment from: Babie, 55-64 Female Published: March 29

I was curious about the 81 year old who had a successful surgery. Congratulations on the success! I'm afraid to have the fusion, but have found a reputable neurosurgeon that I respect. He did warn me, though, that most likely I would need another surgery down the line because of damage on the spine above the spondylolisthesis. But my quality of life is greatly affected now with the chronic pain in legs and back so am seriously considering the fusion. It is so helpful to hear of what others are going through - one is not alone with the pain. I continue to be active, but have to rest at night which does not help any longer with the pain.

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis in 1979 aged 16 at L4 & L5. I had a spinal fusion in 1980 and a disectomy in 1986. I have had long periods with no problems or pain but also periods where I have been incapacitated and in severe pain. I do think that exercise helps and I get regular exercise myself, I have found low-impact to be best such as walking.

Comment from: JEANINA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis 8 years ago, the pain was bad then and it just gets worst, it interferes with daily activities, it interferes with sleep, it hurts so bad in the morning you can barely get out of bed and then it takes an hour before you can move, your back will lock up from doing the simplest things like brushing your teeth, and forget weeding out the garden, last time I did I couldn't move for 4 days, not to mention the tighten of your hamstrings, and the sciatic pain, but the most hurtful part of this, was not being able to play and dance with my children, as I had before when my first son was young before this all happened, I actually had spondylolisthesis when I got pregnant with my second son, the bigger my belly got the more intense the pain got I would cry and cry and could not take anything. I was been told by many not to get the surgery 9 out of 10 times it does not help, and actually for our condition it will make it worse because it causes a stiffening of the back, we all know we are stiff enough, finally I do have some relief I've been on pain meds for about 8 months, don't get me wrong I still have some pain, but not to the point of crying I am able to do more with my kids, medication has really given me my life back before I felt like I was 90,now I'm 36 and feel like 45,its a big improvement, how was this possible you might be asking yourself, got to a regular MD, all the ortho. will do is send you to PT then opt. for surgery.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?