Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Nice, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

It was during my pregnancy in 1990, w/ my one and only daughter that I experienced severe "electrocuted" feeling on my spine. After giving birth, the Doctor diagnosed I have spondylolishtesis. I wore braces on my hip but quit wearing because of allergy and something, still is painful on my higher spine. I've seen another Doctor. He told me I have Scoliosis and Spondylolisthesis at the same time. It is painful. This is the reason why I have one pregnancy only. To date,2013, I don't wear braces for 19yrs now, just keeping my ideal weight, carry light only,sits w/ back flat on a chair or uses hands/feet to "assist" my weight whenever needed..(esp when I have to sit on a backless chair.) I also believe Transfer Factor helped me to stay pain-free. Thanks.

Comment from: Margo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

In my first year of college in 1972 I started having bad back pain, which radiated down the back of my legs. I finally had an X-ray and it was determined I had spondylolisthesis of L5. This is many years ago and the treatment was to wear a corset with metal stays for three months. The stays were bent for my specific condition. I had to put it on before I even got up in the morning in my dorm room and wear it all day. After three months, it was less painful and I only wore it intermittently. For the next 10 years, I kept it and wore it sometimes, but it became less and less. I often asked my husband to push down hard with his thumb on the affected area. I don't know why, but it helped. I haven't had any symptoms for many years, but am curious about what another patient wrote. She said when thin, it was worse. I was very thin in college and that is when it was bad. I have gained some pounds over the years and now there is no pain. Curious.

Comment from: concernedpatient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at age 12. I have lived with intermittent pain most of my life. Immediately upon diagnosis, I started various treatments: medication, rest, physical therapy, and spent nearly two years in a back brace. As an adult, I have occasional flare-ups, which I treat with rest and heat. Just last week I had a major setback after spending three days babysitting my niece and nephew. It seems the constant stress was more than my back could take, and I spent the next 2 days unable to get even sit up in bed. I am deeply worried now because my husband and I plan to start our own family soon, and I am unsure of the pain and complications that may result from this condition as it relates to a pregnancy - and obviously the stress that constantly lifting and chasing babies around the house will cause. I'm wondering if surgery now (before having children) makes sense, or if this will bear its own set of risks when it comes to pregnancy and child rearing.

Comment from: Live to garden, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed 20 yrs ago after many years of back pain. Mine is the congenital variety. Everyone seemed quite casual at that time. When the pain started going down my leg 8 yrs ago, medical people were more informative. To ease pain I lay flat on my back with knees bent and legs on a chair for 20 minutes as many times as needed during the day. Alternating ice and heat helps. I found a good physiotherapist to coach me in strengthening the core muscles without making matters worse. (I'm now at a grade 2 displacement). With her instruction I started lifting weights to build up my muscles so that I could do everyday activities without injuring myself. For some exercises I had to start with just the weight of my own body part. Careful stretching is also very important for staying limber and reducing pain. Having someone to take care of the heavy gardening and house cleaning helped avoid recurrences. Most mornings I still wake up with some pain but I've never let it stop me from doing what I want. I don't mind walking instead of running and if something hurts too much, I go easier or stop and look for another way. I wish that someone had looked at my swayback 50 years ago and insisted on my strengthening my abdominal muscles. I may have been able to prevent this. As it is, I just have to keep on working those abs, stretching, straightening and strengthening that back. Strength training won't cure the problem but it sure has eased the severity and frequency of my pain and leg problems.

Comment from: JenniferH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Hello all I am 30 yr old female and was very recently diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. At my job I sit all day doing customer service and have now been out of work for almost 2mths because sitting is was causes the worst flair ups for me. I was finally approved for short term disability and have a feeling it is going to turn into more long term. I have been going to PT for a week now (3x a week for next 3 wks) is the first thing we (my doctors and I) are going to try. After that we are going to discuss getting shots in my back. I have always been very active going to the gym, taking kickboxing classes and spinning. I am going to try to continue to stay active because it feels better than sitting still. It can be very depressing and even hurts to get out of bed in the morning, but once I am up and move around a bit the pain eases up. It is the sitting for a long period of time that hurts. It's an unfortunate thing to have to live w/but comforting to know i am not the only one. Hang in there :)

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?