Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I've read some of the posting's here and it's like you are in my mind. I feel and think some of the same things. I've been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in November 2009. I've had back pain forever it seems but it was always just when I sat to long and went to get up it would hurt. Then one day the pain didn't go away and I went to the doctor and that's when they diagnosed me. I've never had an MRI although people tell me I should get one . They did x rays though. I feel alone a lot and would LOVE a support group for this. It seems no one understands the pain and how depressing it is. I feel useless and old. I want so badly to be where I once was. I can't play with my kids like I use to. Some days are better than others but I'm never totally pain free. Currently I am doing PT and I take OTC medications. I think I need something more though and am returning to the doctor to see what more can be done.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My spondylolisthesis involved L4 to S1. I have other health problems, and I am 81 years old. Injections did not help, in fact seemed to make the problem worse. I had the surgery almost 6 months ago, and was almost immediately pain free. I no longer need pain pills. I highly recommend the surgery, but only if you can find a neurosurgeon with a proven track record in this condition. Mine has a 95% success rate in this particular surgery. I know other people who used other doctors and are still in pain, so be selective.

Comment from: TopD09, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I'm a white male 49yrs old and have had chronic lower back pain for 20 plus yrs now. Like many people have tried everything under the sun to help relieve the pain and nothing is working. I have done my research and to find out more on this and just want to live life as pain free as possible. Some days are ok and other days are rough just waking up and getting out of bed. I just want to be free from the pain and be able to do things that I could do 10 yrs ago.

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I've been living with Spondylolisthesis stenosis L1-L5 since the year 2000. I had the fusion surgery back in 2004. Unfortunately, my condition did not improve. Consequently, I live with chronic back pain. All the conservative treatments did not work for me. Now I regret having the surgery because it did not work. I had no choice but to have the surgery because my quality of life was near zero. I take pain medications around the clock, and they don't help often. I pray a lot. It's a very difficult condition to live with. I'm looking for a support group to perhaps share my concern\story with just for the support. No one seems to understand the pain that a person goes through with my condition.

Comment from: Ron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I have been told I have spondylolisthesis of L5 and S1 at the age of 50. My doctor has given me about 4 different kind of medicines to take and so far nothing has worked. Like other people I have read about I also can't sleep at night, I toss and turn and at least once I'm up out of bed.

Comment from: emmabby666, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About 2 or 3 years ago I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. I was 17 when I was diagnosed and I am now 19 going on 20. A couple days before I went to the doctor I had severe back pain to the point I couldn't move without crying. It had gotten so bad that it is now pinching the nerve to my left leg so I have pain down that leg. I tried going to a chiropractor it helped for a little while but it would always go back to the way it was. It would actually get worse when it would go back so I quit going.

Comment from: wantstorun, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I learned when I was 18 I had spondylolisthesis, grade I. It didn't start impacting my life until my early 30s, when I woke up in extreme and pain and thought I had a kidney stone. Much to my surprise my back had worsened, now a grade II. It is L5-S1. I am an active person, love cycling, running, dancing, martial arts and kickboxing. Much to my surprise, I should not have pursued marital arts as I think that contributed to the continued slippage. I had stopped martial arts, but was grade III, 19mm slippage. I began limiting my activity, but did not realize how unstable my back was, now a grade IV. I am scared as I think the issue is not if, but when, will I need surgery. My pain is not stopping me from doing activities; I just need to modify things a bit. Scared and nervous, it seems grade IV is very rare. I have read mixed results with the surgery. Having an autoimmune disease I fear my body will reject anything foreign in my body. Many years ago I had crushed my hand, they had to remove the plates as my body rejected them. I am scared and confused. I read the pain so many people are in, I am not. Mornings are the toughest and most painful part of my day.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?