Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Male Published: February 25

Hi, my name is Stephen, and I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis eight years ago. I am now 38 years old. I had found out when I slipped off a ladder and tweaked my back. After X-rays revealed the damage, the doctors said I was born with it or it happened when I was young and the ladder incident only aggravated it. I was depressed for about five months and then I started a heavy research campaign. Doctors wanted to operate, chiropractors said they could help without operation, and I was confused on what to do! I have the sciatic pain down the right side of my buttock and down the back side of my leg. I ice daily and heat sometimes. I feel I cannot live with this pain forever. With my mom in the medical field, I was able to talk to a spine specialist, and he recommended to not get surgery unless I can't stand the pain or the pain is so severe that I can't move. For every 5 pounds I gain, I can feel it. If I keep my abdominal muscles strong, then the pain is tolerable. I do go to the chiropractor to adjust the spine, and it helps for a few days, so I go two to three times a week. If I sit or don't move or exercise, the pain comes on stronger. I was recommended to never be inactive for long periods of time because it weakens the muscles. It was said most operations on this won't fix the problems because the spine is one of the only parts in the body that won't heal itself, even if you get an operation. Operation is only a bandage and only should be done on the spine for a last resort. I am so sorry for every one diagnosed with this, for you are not alone. Mine is in the L5 vertebrae, and after eight years, I can manage the pain with all I learned and I trust what my unbiased doctor (my mom works for and isn't getting a dime from me) and chiropractor on this. So, resting and not being active only hurts the situation! Hang in there, and God bless!

Comment from: TH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had spondylolisthesis S1 - L5. I am 39 now and the pain started in my left hip and leg 18 months ago. The pain grew worse over a very short time. Then in April 2009, I was told to have surgery or be in a wheel chair within five years tops. I agreed to surgery, and seven weeks later when my surgery date came, I was in pain 24/7, and unable to sleep. The operation was very painful. Eight months on, my back pain is nearly all gone, but I still have to be careful. My doctor says it can take up to 18 months. I am still having pain in my left hip and leg. I am about to go for another MRI scan next month. This time they think it's my pelvis. I am glad I had the surgery; it wasn't going to make it any worse than it already was. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: Hilary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have spondylolisthesis L5-S1 and degenerative disk disease L4-L5. I am 30 years old and have had severe to intermittent pain since I was 16 years old. I have found that my pain is worse and more frequent the thinner I am. It seems the extra weight keeps me held together. When I have "flare-ups" I have the sensation of my upper body not being attached to my lower body, and my torso will sit more to one side. Since being diagnosed in 2006 my quality of life has suffered. I was advised by my neurologist to avoid certain activities for risk of paralysis. So now I no longer am able to go skiing, sledding, horseback riding, golfing or a lot of other things I used to do. I am married and have a 5 year old son, and I feel like I am losing out on life, I am not able to do the things with him that I loved to do as a child. I am at a point where I am sick of the "band-aid" solutions the doctors keep giving me. I am tired of being afraid to do things because of what the doctors have said, or because of how I am going to feel when I attempt to get out of bed in the morning and I can't move my head down enough to look at the ground when I walk from the stiffness in my body. I really hope I can do something to improve how I feel. I am very happy to have found this site and see that there are others out there with the same experiences. Good Luck to you all.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I've read some of the posting's here and it's like you are in my mind. I feel and think some of the same things. I've been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in November 2009. I've had back pain forever it seems but it was always just when I sat to long and went to get up it would hurt. Then one day the pain didn't go away and I went to the doctor and that's when they diagnosed me. I've never had an MRI although people tell me I should get one . They did x rays though. I feel alone a lot and would LOVE a support group for this. It seems no one understands the pain and how depressing it is. I feel useless and old. I want so badly to be where I once was. I can't play with my kids like I use to. Some days are better than others but I'm never totally pain free. Currently I am doing PT and I take OTC medications. I think I need something more though and am returning to the doctor to see what more can be done.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My spondylolisthesis involved L4 to S1. I have other health problems, and I am 81 years old. Injections did not help, in fact seemed to make the problem worse. I had the surgery almost 6 months ago, and was almost immediately pain free. I no longer need pain pills. I highly recommend the surgery, but only if you can find a neurosurgeon with a proven track record in this condition. Mine has a 95% success rate in this particular surgery. I know other people who used other doctors and are still in pain, so be selective.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?