Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments

What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Meggi56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am at the end of my rope with pain of spondylolisthesis! I declined fusion surgery eight years ago, because of risks. I am dependent on drugs. I have little life. Pain is all.

Comment from: nurse50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have increased sciatica with driving. Spondylolisthesis lights my leg and buttock on fire to have to depress the gas pedal and brake. It's the absolute worst. I am going in for spinal fusion soon as the sciatica has gotten so debilitating, and decreased quality to life not to mention the depression of being in daily continuous pain.

Comment from: Gabbie1962, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I was wondering if there is any self-help I can do for congenital spondylolisthesis. I am going to be 54 this year. I have had discs degenerating since my 20s. I can stand for 30 minutes then I am screaming in agony if I don't sit down. The pain medicines help with my rheumatoid arthritis, but they don't even touch this back. Thank you.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have been diagnosed with grade 2 spondylolisthesis at the age of 20. At the moment I am struggling day to day with pain, and the balance of using narcotics and other medications to help, and using as little as possible. I am currently studying nursing, and have been told by my doctor to reconsider my career goals. Which absolutely sucks. I have been doing physical therapy and am about to have my second steroid injection, the first one didn't help! They are thinking of sending me for surgery.

Comment from: In pain in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I originally had back surgery back in 2008. It did not go well, and I had the rod and screws put in and fusion done, but the doctor has since then lost his surgery privileges apparently. I am left with pain in my middle back as the disc just above the rod and the disc just below the rod are now degenerated. It is very depressing, plus about 3 years ago, I started having osteoarthritis in my hips as well. I am in pain a lot and often cannot get up unassisted from a chair. I am trying to lose weight, but it is very hard when you cannot move without some sort of pain in your back or hips. I understand how much each of you feels your pain; I go through the same thing, being depressed and trying to stay positive. I have degenerative disc disease and spondylolisthesis, but the last doctor said it wasn"t very bad. He obviously does not have pain every day like me and all the others. I am concerned that as I age, I will be unable to walk or stand because my back does not feel strong enough to hold me up sometimes. I have numbness and sciatica in my legs. I wanted to try the laser treatments, but apparently the surgical group does not take my insurance.

Comment from: cgholtz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had surgery for my spondylolisthesis on March 24. Immediately I could walk normal again but I am still very stiff and in some pain. I am glad I got the surgery but I wonder how long these symptoms will last.

Comment from: mom of 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at age 14 at L4 L5 grade III. I wore a brace, tried traction and had spinal fusion at age 15. I am now 45 and have daily pain, and have now been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease of L3. I have had one steroid injection and am slated to have 2 more in the next 6 weeks. I am glad I had the surgery, because it saved me from being paralyzed. I am hoping the injections will relieve the pain.

Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?