Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: Cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Hi, I am 64 years old and just underwent surgery and fusion for a pars fracture and spondylolisthesis. My symptoms were severe lower back pain and stiffness with a lot of muscle spasms in my back. Also right hip pain radiating from my back. I put up with this for several years but in the last year it got so bad that I had to take action. Physical therapy did not help. I am just shy of 3 weeks post op. It's a difficult ordeal but I am expecting good results. The hip pain is gone. I will be glad when the incision hurts less.

Comment from: Peta Marsh, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Hi, I'm 18 years old and have recently been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. I'm always in constant pain and have been told that in the future I am going to need a spinal fusion. My pain gets so severe sometimes that I can't walk for days or even weeks. Even sitting down can be a struggle sometimes. It would take me about five minutes to stand back up again. At the start of this year I had a lot of trouble just trying to take my hand brake off in the car. I would have to turn around and try using two hands, and even pushing the clutch in hurt.

Comment from: Francis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I experience severe low back pain after standing for more than 10 minutes with my spondylolisthesis. It's alleviated after seating.

Comment from: c.costa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I'm 38 years old and I have spondylolisthesis L5-S1 grade 1 since I was 30. I'm a doctor and I don't know what to do? My doctor's tell me that they don't know, I think they are scared to operate on a colleague. So being a doctor and a patient is worse. I feel that I'm losing my life, my daughter's, and my husband's. I'm very sad. I can't work and, I can't live and everyone understand and carry on but I'm alone in my pain. Good luck everyone.

Comment from: Bogspondy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I'm 56 years old and I have spondylolisthesis at the L5 S1 level with mechanical and osteogenic lumbosacral pain. I have pain when I'm standing, sitting, and walking. The only relief I get is from pain killers Hydromorphone and Percocet, and moving from one position to another. I was very active in sports when younger and I find that while I can participate in almost any activity, I pay for it with pain later that day and for a couple of days thereafter. Driving for longer than half an hour exacerbates the condition. Running, jumping, vacuuming, sweeping the floor and riding the lawn mower all contribute to pain. I use the hot tub and ice belt for temporary relief.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am a 59-year-old woman who woke up two months ago with category 10 pain in my right leg. I was diagnosed two weeks later with L5-S1 spondylolisthesis grade one. The disc is no longer visible on my X-rays and I have a fracture of the L5. I have since had two epidural injections, have done physical therapy, ice every day and have given up on most forms of exercise, other than abdominal strengthening and spine stretches. My pain level now varies between 4 and 6. Speed walking and hiking were my primary forms of exercise and I can't walk more than 10 yards without pain now. I am meeting with a spine surgeon next week to discuss surgery -- I don't want to live the rest of my life like this and cannot tolerate most pain medications.

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?