Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: AR, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My mother who is 60 years old has been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis. She is an acute rheumatoid arthritis patient, hence surgery has been ruled out by doctors. She has been on various chronic pain management programs to get rid of the severe pain she has on her lower back and radiating down her thighs and legs. Recently she was given Bupivacaine injection on her spine for pain relief but it is to no avail. I'm not sure what kind of treatment she requires which would relieve her from pain. She is having a lot of side effects due to various pain killers.

Comment from: Lucylocket, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

It is very interesting to read these experiences of spondylolisthesis patients. Mine is grade 3 and has fused itself. There is no disc at all. It's just gone away. I used to be a very keen and able runner, and worked with horses for many years. Although I've had many episodes of back pain over the years, I've led a normal active life. Only now at 58 years old am I getting sciatica type pain, worsened by sitting. I also experience weakness in my legs on longer walks. Sometimes I wonder how I'm going to get home, but I do. My back does not extend (lean back) at all. I don't know if I'll get worse as I age but most people have health related problems and this is mine. I'll just have to wait and see.

Comment from: Shelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed in 2000 with spondylolisthesis, you name it I've done it in regards of treating the pain including surgery and absolutely nothing helped for a substantial length of time. I looked for a site like this years ago. It can be quite depressing when you think about all of the activities you once did and can no longer do anymore. It's the year 2012 and nothing has changed. The one thing that I am grateful for and I'm sure the most of you can agree is that I'm still glad I can walk even with the pain! With that said, it's true it still could have been worse. Hang in there guys, we must continue on!

Comment from: Cheryl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

Hi, I am 64 years old and just underwent surgery and fusion for a pars fracture and spondylolisthesis. My symptoms were severe lower back pain and stiffness with a lot of muscle spasms in my back. Also right hip pain radiating from my back. I put up with this for several years but in the last year it got so bad that I had to take action. Physical therapy did not help. I am just shy of 3 weeks post op. It's a difficult ordeal but I am expecting good results. The hip pain is gone. I will be glad when the incision hurts less.

Comment from: Peta Marsh, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Hi, I'm 18 years old and have recently been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis. I'm always in constant pain and have been told that in the future I am going to need a spinal fusion. My pain gets so severe sometimes that I can't walk for days or even weeks. Even sitting down can be a struggle sometimes. It would take me about five minutes to stand back up again. At the start of this year I had a lot of trouble just trying to take my hand brake off in the car. I would have to turn around and try using two hands, and even pushing the clutch in hurt.

Comment from: Francis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I experience severe low back pain after standing for more than 10 minutes with my spondylolisthesis. It's alleviated after seating.

Comment from: c.costa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I'm 38 years old and I have spondylolisthesis L5-S1 grade 1 since I was 30. I'm a doctor and I don't know what to do? My doctor's tell me that they don't know, I think they are scared to operate on a colleague. So being a doctor and a patient is worse. I feel that I'm losing my life, my daughter's, and my husband's. I'm very sad. I can't work and, I can't live and everyone understand and carry on but I'm alone in my pain. Good luck everyone.

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?