Patient Comments: Spondylolisthesis - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your spondylolisthesis?

Comment from: P.S., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 36 year old patient with chronic lumbar spondylosis having severe low back pain, foot pain and difficulty getting up. I cannot stand for more than 5 minutes. I can walk up to 50 steps with difficulty. All sorts of treatments are over. I am already using a cane for support. I will be using crutches to help me in walking around.

Comment from: Beverly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

This site is very informative and supportive. It seems there are many people out there who suffer from spondylolisthesis, and I am surprised to see so many young people writing about their symptoms and treatments. My heart goes out to all. I was diagnosed two weeks ago after having increasing pain in my lower back, with numbness and spasms shooting down my right leg. My mistake was that, through the pain, I continued to walk my dogs 3 ½ miles a day, work 12-hour night shifts, and go full blast with my yoga practice. I felt good after doing the yoga, not realizing that the back bends, twists, and some extreme postures were actually exacerbating my condition and increasing my pain. I am receiving care from my naturopathic doctor with the treatment of acupuncture and a tilt-table inversion. Today I start physical therapy. Sleeping is the worst, because I ultimately have to get out of bed, and often my right leg spasms are extreme. I am living on Advil, Tylenol, and Aleve, trying to alternate each dose to ease the pain. I also take homeopathic meds to help with the pain. I am out on FMLA for now, and am really not sure if I can return to my present job as an ICU nurse. I have always been very physically active and often pushed myself too hard. I broke my right leg five years ago playing tennis and returned too quickly to work, wearing a brace for 12 hours while on my feet. My reason for saying this is to offer some advice. We need to slow down and partake in a lifestyle of self-care, which can be preventative and restorative. This is not being selfish nor should we feel guilty about doing this. Self-care is the healing and harmony of our body, mind, and spirit.

Comment from: DebNZ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis in 2001 (I was 36 years old). In 2008, I started to notice it was difficult getting up and down stairs and standing for any length of time. I saw a specialist, only to be told I also have stenosis (thinning of the spinal canal). I asked what treatments were available and she said “None, just carry on until you can't.” Fantastic, I thought. So here I am now, at 48, on morphine, not working, and about to make an appointment with my GP to get an occupational therapy consultation for a wheelchair assessment. On the upside, I was told at 16 that I would be on crutches until my mid-20s, and then in a wheelchair, and to look to the future with many surgeries in mind. I have managed to keep the wheelchair at bay for an extra 20 years. But now I can't go for a walk with my family, I'm pretty much housebound, and to do any gardening is not worth the pain it would induce, even being on morphine. All I can say to those of you who are heading in my direction – keep up the good fight until your body makes you submit. I wish everybody well.

Comment from: ginger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have had spondylolisthesis since I was 26, I am now 54. Recently I have been in chronic pain with pain in my left leg, can't walk far, struggle to dress in morning. I've had physio on and off had back exercise regime, had injections none of which has helped. I recently went back to hospital and was basically told that injections do not work, the operations are not successful I must do my back exercises, go to a back class, and lose weight. I may be heavier than I used to be but by no means am I overweight. I am so disheartened and this condition is really depressing me. I'm supposed to be going back to the hospital in 4 months and I think what is the point. I was attending the hospital many years ago and was discharged with medication as they said there was nothing they could do it seems that 20 years on there's still nothing.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Hi! My name is Patrice. I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis in 2009, when I was 52. I had to have spinal fusion on my L3, L4 and L5. I had less than 3 months of walking when they operated. Don't get me wrong, I feel blessed to be still walking, but it's a daily struggle and I feel like I am getting worse. My walking is a struggle now and I can't do the things I used to. I can't keep my house up, gardening is something I still do, but I pay for it. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle and am so scared of being in a wheel chair and unable to work. I feel that is the way I am headed. It's very disheartening.

Comment from: chixonmull, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a 66 year old female with a diagnosis of spondylolisthesis. I have no leg pain but if I stand for more than a few minutes my back starts to feel "tired.” If I don't sit down or sit for long in a straight backed chair my back begins to hurt. I started lifting weights and my back began to stiffen up and became very painful. Now I even have to drive short distances, can't go on walks with my family and feel guilty because others think I am just lazy. When going through airports I need wheelchair assistance when I appear perfectly healthy. This is quite embarrassing but better than having to sit down every 15-20 feet. I will be starting physical therapy in a couple of weeks and hope that it helps.

Spondylolisthesis - Effective Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spondylolisthesis?
Spondylolisthesis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your spondylolisthesis?