Patient Comments: Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments

What was the treatment for your spider bite?

Comment from: sixty8-whiskey, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 29

Treatment for a spider bite. Do not elevate the wound above the heart, this will force the blood to rush to the heart faster, instead keep the wound below to heart, to slow the venom. Spider bites, snake bites, all the same thing. The venom travels through a series of nodes in the body, so about 2 inches above the wound take some string, cloth, doesn't matter and wrap it around the area, not tight enough to cut off blood flow, but not to loose. When you have that, take a razor, or scalpel, knife whatever, and make a 1/8th - 1/4 inch deep incision above, through and below the wound. Take a suction cup, or anything that has suction, and try to suction it out. Do not use your mouth because even if you spit it out your body will absorb the venom. This will not stop the venom but it will slow it down until you get to a medical treatment facility who has the antivenom. Keep the patient as calm as possible, do not excite them or get them to breathe faster, as this will cause the venom to travel faster. Once again this will not stop the venom, it will only slow it down until you get to a treatment facility. If you can, bring the snake, spider, or whatever bit you, to the facility. If not and you have no idea, than do what you can until you arrive at a hospital.

Comment from: ashwolf54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider 2 years ago while on vacation in Florida. I noticed a stinging sensation on the top of my right foot and soon it was red and swollen and tender to the touch. I decided to treat it myself, (which was foolish, should have went straight to the emergency room) with peroxide and antibiotic cream and luckily I had brought some antibiotics with me. When I returned home I saw my dermatologist and he confirmed I was bitten by a brown recluse and I continued on antibiotics and luckily it healed but left a deep scar. Since then I have had two staph infections, I have one now, and I wonder if being bit by the spider has anything to do with the staph infections as I never had them before. I am on antibiotics, Bactrim, and the cream, both infections have been on my buttocks. I consider myself a clean person and don't know what to do about these infections and worry I will continue to get them.

Comment from: StormyLuv, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

This may not work for all but I'm a firm believer in this treatment for almost any bites. My daughter was bit by a brown recluse on the top of her foot and we noticed a white line moving up her foot then up her leg so I knew immediately she had been bitten (later found the spider). I made a thick paste out of meat tenderizer and applied it over the bite, let it dry then took her to the doctor. By the time we had gotten in to see the Dr. the white line had disappeared. He said that was a great idea with the meat tenderizer, it drew all the poison out and she had no symptoms afterwards. This also worked well with stings from jellyfish when we went to the beach. Making a paste using meat tenderizer is the best cure for almost any type of sting!

Comment from: muddguppy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I was bitten by a brown recluse about a month ago, and while I felt the stinging prick and noticed a large pink welt on the back of my lower leg, I didn't really notice anything else after the second day until I kept feeling like there was something wet on the back of my leg. I looked in a mirror and saw two bites which were black and oozing in the centers with dark purple all around and 3/8 inches wide around each bite. The larger pink area was also a light purple. I have kept a lobelia tincture around for many years, (1 oz. cut lobelia herb in a pint jar filled with vinegar, shake twice a day for 10 days and strain if desired) I applied the lobelia on the bite with a large band aid, and kept it there for 36 hours. In one day's time, the purple has turned from black and purple to pink and red. I went in to the doctor, and got a tetanus shot and two types of antibiotics, and fortunately, everything has healed up other than the pick and red skin. Where the bites initially were, there was a small bit of skin that sloughed off, but I haven't got any big holes thankfully. So far, I have no ill effects. My daughter was also bitten about 18 years ago by a brown recluse. (She found and identified the spider.) She also used the lobelia tincture and never lost any tissue, although we have both had varying degrees of headache, nausea, and joint pain. We are both fine with no further problems.

Comment from: alex, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

When I was 10 years old, I awoke to find a nasty red swollen lump on my upper thigh. It was incredibly painful whenever I touched it. I did not tell anyone about it for the initial two days, then it began getting so painful I could barely manage to walk. I was taken to a hospital when I was put on a heavy regimen of antibiotics. A dermatologist confirmed it was a brown recluse bite.

Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction Question: What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.