Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I was bitten surreptitiously by a 2 to 3 inch outdoor spider which was light grey and furry and had black and cream colored violin-shaped hash marks on its back. It left brown fang marks on my arm followed by the usual pain, redness, swelling, blistering, which I didn't notice until about 45 minutes afterward, and I did not notice its bite. However, a large subcutaneous blister formed, not visible, but it was loaded with venom which burst two to 3 months later, and I consequently have a certain amount of paralysis in the outside left arm. It seems to be vaguely traveling thru the left part of my body, but has left part of my hand numb. I went to the doctor. I read in the patient descriptions the vitamins C and D can be helpful. I also used Tums Smoothies, Tylenol, ginseng, and some topical bacitracin zinc ointment (water-base) with some cortisone cream. Also, I took some Benadryl because it is an antihistamine. I did this off and on for about two weeks. Then I stopped altogether because I'm nearly out of medication, and my body is rebelling. Now what? Alternating rest and exercise seems to be effective, but nausea and pain and stiffness are reoccurring. Also, it seems to be making other painful areas worse. I am allergic to Ibuprofen and soy, and tried Mucinex and Claritin which work really well but make me excessively cranky (far crankier than I need to be.) Also, am getting the sweats. I am thinking of swapping out the Claritin for Benadryl with Mucinex and Tylenol and Tums, and resuming the topical applications. I've already talked to the pharmacist but forgot what he said, besides the ginseng.

Comment from: tanis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

It had a white spot where I had been bitten. One day later it is not big, but it looks black and blue.

Comment from: Eva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I got bite by a brown recluse spider while in Vegas in June. I have been on 3 different meds, but it isn't going away.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My granddaughter has a bite on her wrist from unknown spider or insect there is no itching involved but the area is warm, red and swollen with red streaks going up her arm.

Comment from: i've been hit, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I got bit by a sun spider. a.k.a. 10 legged freak. I had severe pain and swelling and itching. Please do not step or smash them with bare skin.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

How about a spider bite that left about a 1 inch round mark, inches like crazy for about 2 weeks then disappears only to re-appear about a month later and has been doing this for 5+years.

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.