Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: Vacant House Cleaner, Published: March 08

I think I was bitten by a brown recluse spider yesterday on my right ring finger. Both knuckles on that finger went black and blue and became stiff and painful, suddenly, as I was vacuuming-up dead bees from a vacant house basement and doing other cleaning. (No, none of the bees were alive!) I Googled "brown recluse" and found a website with a brown recluse bite kit. For $30 and money-back guarantee and BBB seal, I'm overnighting it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment from: carelessgardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I only know it was a spider bite because I can see two fang marks. Within an hour it started swelling and turning a bluish color. It's been about three days. I feel very weak and tired. My gym cardio that is usually very easy is a struggle to maintain. I'm 55, and I live in Oregon. I'm quite scared about this. The doctor doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Comment from: ladybandit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was bitten by either a black widow or a brown recluse, and I thought it was a boil, so I tried to self-medicate. I finally ended up in the ER, almost at a dying state. I've have boils in the part, so I thought it was a recurrence of the same condition. If I hadn't driven myself to the ER, I would have died.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: October 07

A nutritionist at Johons Hopkins Hosp. -Maryland early 1900's, Adelle Davis in her books 1950's, says Vit C in natures antihistamine. True, because with the 2nd Brown Reclus bite I took 30,000 mgs immediately and one more day. Then reduced it to 20,000 for 2 weeks. I had no reaction at all, like the first bite gave me which was severe. With the lst I bandaged vit E oil on it which healed in 2 weeks with no surgery needed.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband was bite 12 years ago by one and every year around the same time the ulcers show back up.

Comment from: machinist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I was bitten by a black widow in Southern Indiana when I was a small child (7 I think). I was a small child for my age. It fell out of a persimmon tree while my dad was mowing the lawn. I remember the bite vividly, I had thought that the lawnmower threw a rock and hit me around the collar bone. It almost knocked me down. Shortly after it occurred I complained to my dad and while I was explaining it to him the spider skittered across my stomach and I knocked it to the ground (pavement. I really was fascinated with spiders at an early age and identified it right before smashing it. I remember feeling very nauseous. I also remember the nurse trying to start an I.V. to administer the anti-venom. My mother said that they had to fly the anti-venom from up North. This all happened about 20-25 years ago. But I figure that this story may be helpful to someone.

Comment from: hilonancy, (Caregiver) Published: May 03

I have discovered (and been bitten by) very tiny spiders that totally resemble miniature black widows without the red mark. Could these be miniature black widows? The bites were extremely painful and lasted for days.

Comment from: Pearley Sky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I was bitten by some kind of spider 3 months ago in Hawaii. I was not aware I was being bitten when it happened. My ankle immediately began to swell, which is what caught my attention. I could see two fang puncture marks on the outside of my ankle. The venom was in my flesh first and has moved into between my ankle bones. I have had no fever, or muscle spasms. The venom seems to want to travel up my Achilles tendon. My ankle is very stiff and very painful at night. I'm losing the flexibility in my ankle and it makes some loud popping noises. Any information is appreciated.

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.