Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: October 07

A nutritionist at Johons Hopkins Hosp. -Maryland early 1900's, Adelle Davis in her books 1950's, says Vit C in natures antihistamine. True, because with the 2nd Brown Reclus bite I took 30,000 mgs immediately and one more day. Then reduced it to 20,000 for 2 weeks. I had no reaction at all, like the first bite gave me which was severe. With the lst I bandaged vit E oil on it which healed in 2 weeks with no surgery needed.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband was bite 12 years ago by one and every year around the same time the ulcers show back up.

Comment from: hilonancy, (Caregiver) Published: May 03

I have discovered (and been bitten by) very tiny spiders that totally resemble miniature black widows without the red mark. Could these be miniature black widows? The bites were extremely painful and lasted for days.

Comment from: Pearley Sky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I was bitten by some kind of spider 3 months ago in Hawaii. I was not aware I was being bitten when it happened. My ankle immediately began to swell, which is what caught my attention. I could see two fang puncture marks on the outside of my ankle. The venom was in my flesh first and has moved into between my ankle bones. I have had no fever, or muscle spasms. The venom seems to want to travel up my Achilles tendon. My ankle is very stiff and very painful at night. I'm losing the flexibility in my ankle and it makes some loud popping noises. Any information is appreciated.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I was bitten surreptitiously by a 2 to 3 inch outdoor spider which was light grey and furry and had black and cream colored violin-shaped hash marks on its back. It left brown fang marks on my arm followed by the usual pain, redness, swelling, blistering, which I didn't notice until about 45 minutes afterward, and I did not notice its bite. However, a large subcutaneous blister formed, not visible, but it was loaded with venom which burst two to 3 months later, and I consequently have a certain amount of paralysis in the outside left arm. It seems to be vaguely traveling thru the left part of my body, but has left part of my hand numb. I went to the doctor. I read in the patient descriptions the vitamins C and D can be helpful. I also used Tums Smoothies, Tylenol, ginseng, and some topical bacitracin zinc ointment (water-base) with some cortisone cream. Also, I took some Benadryl because it is an antihistamine. I did this off and on for about two weeks. Then I stopped altogether because I'm nearly out of medication, and my body is rebelling. Now what? Alternating rest and exercise seems to be effective, but nausea and pain and stiffness are reoccurring. Also, it seems to be making other painful areas worse. I am allergic to Ibuprofen and soy, and tried Mucinex and Claritin which work really well but make me excessively cranky (far crankier than I need to be.) Also, am getting the sweats. I am thinking of swapping out the Claritin for Benadryl with Mucinex and Tylenol and Tums, and resuming the topical applications. I've already talked to the pharmacist but forgot what he said, besides the ginseng.

Comment from: tanis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

It had a white spot where I had been bitten. One day later it is not big, but it looks black and blue.

Comment from: Eva, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I got bite by a brown recluse spider while in Vegas in June. I have been on 3 different meds, but it isn't going away.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My granddaughter has a bite on her wrist from unknown spider or insect there is no itching involved but the area is warm, red and swollen with red streaks going up her arm.

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.