Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: Daniel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was bitten by a Floridian yellow-spotted fishing spider. Because I was unaware of the venom's strength, I called the 24-hour poison control resource out of New Jersey. The young man identified the animal with me quickly and assured me I would just be mildly sick unless I had a history of allergies. I do. The venom caused pain, tingling, numbness and swelling, as well as vasoconstriction of the immediate area where it bit me. I received a normal epinephrine injection from the local emergency room after two hours of convincing them I was an MS in zoology, and not a long-haired moron.

Comment from: Marie D, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was bitten by a recluse spider five years ago. I had high fever, severe body aches, severe headache and chills and a foot that swelled up and was purple. When tested four months later, I was positive for Lyme disease as well. I have been treated three times for a 5-month period with two antibiotics and then four months later the sweats began. I am now looking for an infectious disease specialist.

Comment from: JayKY, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was 15, I woke up with a spider bite on the palm of my hand, close to my wrist and opposite the thumb side of my palm. It was itchy and a red streak started going up my forearm within 20 minutes. My grandmother suggested a bowl of epsom salts, or whatever that stuff is. I sat with my hand in the bowl. After 15 minutes the red streak the red streak started going back toward the wound, and in 30 minutes it had suck it all out and into the salty bowl – problem solved.

Comment from: Vacant House Cleaner, Published: March 08

I think I was bitten by a brown recluse spider yesterday on my right ring finger. Both knuckles on that finger went black and blue and became stiff and painful, suddenly, as I was vacuuming-up dead bees from a vacant house basement and doing other cleaning. (No, none of the bees were alive!) I Googled "brown recluse" and found a website with a brown recluse bite kit. For $30 and money-back guarantee and BBB seal, I'm overnighting it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment from: carelessgardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I only know it was a spider bite because I can see two fang marks. Within an hour it started swelling and turning a bluish color. It's been about three days. I feel very weak and tired. My gym cardio that is usually very easy is a struggle to maintain. I'm 55, and I live in Oregon. I'm quite scared about this. The doctor doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Comment from: ladybandit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was bitten by either a black widow or a brown recluse, and I thought it was a boil, so I tried to self-medicate. I finally ended up in the ER, almost at a dying state. I've have boils in the part, so I thought it was a recurrence of the same condition. If I hadn't driven myself to the ER, I would have died.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: October 07

A nutritionist at Johons Hopkins Hosp. -Maryland early 1900's, Adelle Davis in her books 1950's, says Vit C in natures antihistamine. True, because with the 2nd Brown Reclus bite I took 30,000 mgs immediately and one more day. Then reduced it to 20,000 for 2 weeks. I had no reaction at all, like the first bite gave me which was severe. With the lst I bandaged vit E oil on it which healed in 2 weeks with no surgery needed.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My husband was bite 12 years ago by one and every year around the same time the ulcers show back up.

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.