Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: JYannucci, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was bitten by brown recluse spider a little over three years ago. I was bitten in thigh. When it started itching I look, and it actually looked like a tick bulls eye. But then it got red, and skin changed color in a complete ring, which became as big as a dinner plate. Was given antibiotics, and although the skin would erupt, I called it hatching, it never turned black. What did happen is my whole right leg and foot swelled. Now three years later my leg and foot still swell, could it be from the bite. Really bothers me and doctor said he doesn't know long term effects of being bitten.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

While remodeling our home I got up one morning and threw on a pair of dirty jeans I'd tossed on the floor the night before. Just as I got them to my waist I felt an extremely hot pinprick on my right hamstring. I grabbed and squeezed the jeans at the site and pulled them off. Definitely a fiddle back (brown recluse). Kept the spider in a pill bottle and got back to work. Continued to burn and ache. I then developed a bulls eye on my leg that slowly expanded over the next three days to about three inches in diameter. A blister formed in the center that burst and then a black dot appeared and started to get larger. After three days of my wife asking me to see a doctor and her becoming more and more concerned to the point of telling me I was going and left work to take me, I went. I took the spider with me for doctor to see. He cleaned the wound, applied antibiotics and gave a prescription for oral antibiotics. He also gave me a tetanus booster. He also told me if it got much worse I'd need to see a surgeon. Fortunately I didn't have to. It took several months to heal. That was seventeen years ago while in my early thirties and I still have a small scar from the necrosis spot on my leg. Better to go quickly to the doctor than be a tough stubborn macho dude and put it off till it gets really bad and you've upset your wife!

Comment from: DMTK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I believe I was bitten by a brown recluse on the side of my left shin below my knee 14 days ago. I believe this because I have the classic symptoms of the brown recluse: large red rash, then big blister filled with light yellowish cloudy liquid. Then the blister popped 5 days later to reveal a bulls-eye like red ulcer with a white ring around it and a pin dot in middle. I have been to the ER and my primary care doctor. I am Bactrim and been cleaning it 3X daily and using an antibiotic ointment and dressing daily but no relief. Constant pain down the leg, into the bone and no luck regarding the infection. My doctor has said it appears to have advanced to MRSA. I have been prescribed another 10 days of Bactrim and asked to continue to clean, apply the ointment and wrap for another 2 weeks. I am now thinking of seeing a spider bite specialist out of a hospital ER I heard about.

Comment from: mabell3864, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I went to the ER to be told I had a boil on my right leg under my knee. The bottom part of my leg is numb, swollen, and the knee is swollen and sore and there is a little open area with some necrosis in the middle. I have tried soaks, antibiotics, epson salts, you name it and tried to keep off it. I was bitten almost 3 weeks ago by something while rehabilitating an old vegetable garden and my leg has gone downhill since. No one knows what it is. There is very little to no puss and there are several openings starting to appear on my affected leg. Just be careful of digging in dirt in SC, you never know what you might get!

Comment from: Daniel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was bitten by a Floridian yellow-spotted fishing spider. Because I was unaware of the venom's strength, I called the 24-hour poison control resource out of New Jersey. The young man identified the animal with me quickly and assured me I would just be mildly sick unless I had a history of allergies. I do. The venom caused pain, tingling, numbness and swelling, as well as vasoconstriction of the immediate area where it bit me. I received a normal epinephrine injection from the local emergency room after two hours of convincing them I was an MS in zoology, and not a long-haired moron.

Comment from: Marie D, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was bitten by a recluse spider five years ago. I had high fever, severe body aches, severe headache and chills and a foot that swelled up and was purple. When tested four months later, I was positive for Lyme disease as well. I have been treated three times for a 5-month period with two antibiotics and then four months later the sweats began. I am now looking for an infectious disease specialist.

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.