Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: DMTK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I believe I was bitten by a brown recluse on the side of my left shin below my knee 14 days ago. I believe this because I have the classic symptoms of the brown recluse: large red rash, then big blister filled with light yellowish cloudy liquid. Then the blister popped 5 days later to reveal a bulls-eye like red ulcer with a white ring around it and a pin dot in middle. I have been to the ER and my primary care doctor. I am Bactrim and been cleaning it 3X daily and using an antibiotic ointment and dressing daily but no relief. Constant pain down the leg, into the bone and no luck regarding the infection. My doctor has said it appears to have advanced to MRSA. I have been prescribed another 10 days of Bactrim and asked to continue to clean, apply the ointment and wrap for another 2 weeks. I am now thinking of seeing a spider bite specialist out of a hospital ER I heard about.

Comment from: mabell3864, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I went to the ER to be told I had a boil on my right leg under my knee. The bottom part of my leg is numb, swollen, and the knee is swollen and sore and there is a little open area with some necrosis in the middle. I have tried soaks, antibiotics, epson salts, you name it and tried to keep off it. I was bitten almost 3 weeks ago by something while rehabilitating an old vegetable garden and my leg has gone downhill since. No one knows what it is. There is very little to no puss and there are several openings starting to appear on my affected leg. Just be careful of digging in dirt in SC, you never know what you might get!

Comment from: Daniel, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

I was bitten by a Floridian yellow-spotted fishing spider. Because I was unaware of the venom's strength, I called the 24-hour poison control resource out of New Jersey. The young man identified the animal with me quickly and assured me I would just be mildly sick unless I had a history of allergies. I do. The venom caused pain, tingling, numbness and swelling, as well as vasoconstriction of the immediate area where it bit me. I received a normal epinephrine injection from the local emergency room after two hours of convincing them I was an MS in zoology, and not a long-haired moron.

Comment from: Marie D, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was bitten by a recluse spider five years ago. I had high fever, severe body aches, severe headache and chills and a foot that swelled up and was purple. When tested four months later, I was positive for Lyme disease as well. I have been treated three times for a 5-month period with two antibiotics and then four months later the sweats began. I am now looking for an infectious disease specialist.

Comment from: Vacant House Cleaner, Published: March 08

I think I was bitten by a brown recluse spider yesterday on my right ring finger. Both knuckles on that finger went black and blue and became stiff and painful, suddenly, as I was vacuuming-up dead bees from a vacant house basement and doing other cleaning. (No, none of the bees were alive!) I Googled "brown recluse" and found a website with a brown recluse bite kit. For $30 and money-back guarantee and BBB seal, I'm overnighting it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment from: carelessgardener, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I only know it was a spider bite because I can see two fang marks. Within an hour it started swelling and turning a bluish color. It's been about three days. I feel very weak and tired. My gym cardio that is usually very easy is a struggle to maintain. I'm 55, and I live in Oregon. I'm quite scared about this. The doctor doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Comment from: ladybandit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was bitten by either a black widow or a brown recluse, and I thought it was a boil, so I tried to self-medicate. I finally ended up in the ER, almost at a dying state. I've have boils in the part, so I thought it was a recurrence of the same condition. If I hadn't driven myself to the ER, I would have died.

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.