Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction

What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?

Comment from: JayKY, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was 15, I woke up with a spider bite on the palm of my hand, close to my wrist and opposite the thumb side of my palm. It was itchy and a red streak started going up my forearm within 20 minutes. My grandmother suggested a bowl of epsom salts, or whatever that stuff is. I sat with my hand in the bowl. After 15 minutes the red streak the red streak started going back toward the wound, and in 30 minutes it had suck it all out and into the salty bowl – problem solved.

Comment from: machinist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I was bitten by a black widow in Southern Indiana when I was a small child (7 I think). I was a small child for my age. It fell out of a persimmon tree while my dad was mowing the lawn. I remember the bite vividly, I had thought that the lawnmower threw a rock and hit me around the collar bone. It almost knocked me down. Shortly after it occurred I complained to my dad and while I was explaining it to him the spider skittered across my stomach and I knocked it to the ground (pavement. I really was fascinated with spiders at an early age and identified it right before smashing it. I remember feeling very nauseous. I also remember the nurse trying to start an I.V. to administer the anti-venom. My mother said that they had to fly the anti-venom from up North. This all happened about 20-25 years ago. But I figure that this story may be helpful to someone.

Comment from: diver_below, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

Hi I live in Australia I got bitten by a red back spider which is the same as your black widow on the 1/5/2010. I was going scuba diving at the time when I felt a sudden pain in my wet suit got my friend to squash whatever was biting me and kill it in my wet suit, thought it was a green ant so I didn't really worry about it at the time. As I was in 15 min into the dive I had a really sharp pain in my chest but went away 30 min into the dive felt a bit sick but went away then 50 min into the dive had to get out of the water I was vomiting on the beach went home and fell asleep. I was fine when I woke up went to a friends and I was sick again, light headed and thought I was going to faint and sweats and felt really sick. I went home. At 2 am in the morning I woke up with really bad burning sensation on my back went back to bed went to work the next day. Half way through my shift I collapsed at work got rushed by ambulance to hospital they said I was bitten by a female red back spider or (black widow) 5 times on my back, 10 hours in hospital I was so sick and in so much pain thought I was going to die very painful. The doctor told me all about the antivenin how bad it was and what can happen so I decided not to have it so I went home thought my symptoms would go away. I was so sick for the next 2 days collapsed again rushed to hospital had the antivenin 2 days in hospital when I got released I felt fine but as time went on I had very sharp pains in all my joints bad headaches found out I had a reaction to the antivenin which is serum sickness now I'm on a 7 day tablet of steroids hoping this will get all the pain away for a small spider has one hell of a punch to it.

Comment from: JYannucci, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was bitten by brown recluse spider a little over three years ago. I was bitten in thigh. When it started itching I look, and it actually looked like a tick bulls eye. But then it got red, and skin changed color in a complete ring, which became as big as a dinner plate. Was given antibiotics, and although the skin would erupt, I called it hatching, it never turned black. What did happen is my whole right leg and foot swelled. Now three years later my leg and foot still swell, could it be from the bite. Really bothers me and doctor said he doesn't know long term effects of being bitten.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

While remodeling our home I got up one morning and threw on a pair of dirty jeans I'd tossed on the floor the night before. Just as I got them to my waist I felt an extremely hot pinprick on my right hamstring. I grabbed and squeezed the jeans at the site and pulled them off. Definitely a fiddle back (brown recluse). Kept the spider in a pill bottle and got back to work. Continued to burn and ache. I then developed a bulls eye on my leg that slowly expanded over the next three days to about three inches in diameter. A blister formed in the center that burst and then a black dot appeared and started to get larger. After three days of my wife asking me to see a doctor and her becoming more and more concerned to the point of telling me I was going and left work to take me, I went. I took the spider with me for doctor to see. He cleaned the wound, applied antibiotics and gave a prescription for oral antibiotics. He also gave me a tetanus booster. He also told me if it got much worse I'd need to see a surgeon. Fortunately I didn't have to. It took several months to heal. That was seventeen years ago while in my early thirties and I still have a small scar from the necrosis spot on my leg. Better to go quickly to the doctor than be a tough stubborn macho dude and put it off till it gets really bad and you've upset your wife!

Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.