Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Brown Recluse

Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.

Comment from: leabrit, Female (Patient) Published: March 08

On Friday l got bitten by a brown recluse spider (this is my 4th time of being bitten by this spider) and l normally pop the area so the poison drains. This time l just did not do it this as it was on the back of my leg. That night l went to bed and l got the shakes and could not stop. That is when l realized what had bitten me, had my husband pop it and drain out the pus. Only by this time it was in my body, the shaking stopped but l felt like l needed to be sick and got to the point where l could not breathe and my temperature hit 100.2F. So I went to the emergency room where they gave me an IV and some medications to help with the sickness and then did a bunch of blood tests. My blood pressure was 170/96, normally 110/76, now l am doing a bit better but still feel sick 6 days later. I am exhausted every time l do anything and am sleeping on and off through the day. It is hard to eat anything but if l don't l get really faint and that is another worry. But my temperature is almost normal. The worst thing is my stomach swelled up and was inflamed and hot, it is slowly going down but got huge and hard for a few days which was very scary.

Comment from: leabrit, Female (Patient) Published: March 07

On Friday l got bitten by a brown recluse spider (this is my 4th time of being bitten by this spider) and l normally pop the area so the poison drains. This time l just did not do this as it was on the back of my leg. That night l went to bed and l got the shakes and could not stop. That was when l realized what had bitten me, had my husband pop it and drain out the pus. Only by this time it was in my body, the shaking stopped but l felt like l needed to be sick and got to the point where l could not breathe and my temperature hit 100.2F. So I went to the emergency room where they gave me an IV and some medications to help with the sickness and then did a bunch of blood tests. My blood pressure was 170/96, normally 110/76, now l am doing a bit better but still feel sick 6 days later. I am exhausted every time l do anything and am sleeping on and off through the day. It is hard to eat anything but if l don't l get really faint and that is another worry. But my temperature is almost normal. The worst thing is my stomach swelled up and was inflamed and hot, it is slowly going down but got huge and hard for a few days which was very scary.

Comment from: Nana_to_JJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

It is very important to see a doctor right away if you suspect you've been bitten by a spider. I've been bitten by a brown recluse spider. The bite is sharp and painful, like a pinprick. The area of the bite turned red with a white center. When the center turned dark I became very concerned and went to the doctor who gave me a shot of steroids and a prescription for Cipro. Side effects of the bite included abdominal pain, dizziness and joint stiffness. One day after taking the Cipro, the symptoms went away and 3 days later the bite started to heal. I can't stress this enough, it is very important to see a doctor right away.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I knew an elderly neighbor who was bitten by a brown recluse spider. The area of his leg became very inflamed, and then the skin began to slough off and break down, going into deeper layers. He was hospitalized but the spider bite became infected and the infection spread to his blood. He died 3 weeks after the bite.

Comment from: Miamimom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was bitten by a brown recluse spider 2 weeks ago. I had what looked like a very bad bruise on my arm. I didn"t realize until 2 days later what type of spider it was. The bite did not hurt but I felt very bad, exhausted with muscle fatigue, and some dizziness too. I used activated charcoal on the bite for a week and the bite cleared up. I still feel very tired and achy sometimes. I"m taking charcoal and echinacea by mouth and will continue to until the symptoms disappear.

Comment from: tim gilbert, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

About five or so years ago I was doing a wood shake shingle roof. About half way through the day I started feeling sick to my stomach and decided to take the rest of the day off. I got home, lay down for a couple of hours and when I woke I had the worst pain in my right hand. From the time I had got home till the time I woke up my hand had swelled about three times its normal size. I rushed to the emergency room and was seen by a doctor that told me that I had been bitten by a brown recluse spider and that they needed to take me to the operation room and drain the spider's venom out. Long story short, I ended up being in the hospital for almost two weeks.

Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction Question: What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?
Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.