Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.

Comment from: TerriG., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was sitting in a chair outside when I felt a sharp sting. Within less than 1 minute there was a small red bump. This was shortly followed by a painful burning sensation. A couple of hours later the inside bend of my right arm was red in an approximately 2" x 3" area. The following day the redness had spread and the area felt hot to the touch and was painful and tender to touch. I am headed to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: berly1965, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 12

I got bit while lying in bed I felt a sting and jumped up. Went and looked at it and it had already started swelling you can't touch it, and it has some black in it on the second day. Its hard to walk and you cant touch it and it bit me on the right lower side of my Stomach. It is sore to the touch.

Comment from: MzMonMon, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My 2- year-old daughter was bitten by a spider today. The bite was swollen, red, and it had a little drainage. It has been itching, so I took her to the ER. The doctor gave her an antibiotic shot and sent her home and told me to soak her arm in warm soapy water.

Comment from: tdhardytracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Tuesday morning I woke up with a bluish blister and red swollen skin around blister. Today is Saturday, no improvement but not worse. It is very sore to the touch and hard. it does have fever in it. At this poing I have left it alone. Should I pop the blister?

Comment from: abbymae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I'm not sure what bit me, but when it happened it felt like a big needle going in. I was on a chair, sat on it, and it got me good in the butt. After the bite or sting, there was intense pain on that side and an area with two holes in it and it was red and swollen. Over the next few days, the pain got worse and was really bad in my joints – hip, knee, and ankle. My right leg hurt and I was almost in tears. It has been 10 days and I still have pain in my hip area. It has gotten somewhat better, but the bite area still is sore and it's still a problem to sit or even lie down, putting pressure on the bite area. I saved the bug but have no idea what it is even after looking online at tons of insects. It has a black and brown body with 4-6 legs (not sure because I killed it), but it also has a gray and black pattern around the edges of its body and the top (by head) is more black and the bottom is more light brown with a spot pattern around the outer edges. It has an oval body and sort of a heart-shaped head with two antennas (or pinchers). I've never seen one before and hope I never see one again. I'm going to the doctor this week because I think if it was a normal bite, it would be fine by now. It still hurts. I'd like to find lots of pictures of bugs. I'm wondering what type of bug could cause such pain, especially when bit.

Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction Question: What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?
Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.