Patient Comments: Spider Bites - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I had swelling, cold, chills, pain from wrist to elbow and stiffness in joints. I did not see the spider.

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 08

Yesterday my husband was bitten by a spider, not sure what type, but he was in the woods repairing the roof of the shed. He moved some wood stuff out of the way on the ground, and all of a sudden he said it hurt terribly. I heard him hobbling in from outside yelping from pain. He saw a spider but not sure of color due to knocking it off so fast. He was in so much pain. The pain was intense, burning and stinging and lasted many hours. He went to the hospital and they gave him pain medications, but the stinging continued. He is better today, but there are 2 marks where fangs went in, large ones. He said the spider was small like about dime size, no red area today. The big thing with this type spider was the pain and stinging sensation for many hours. I hear the hobo spider is about the same as brown recluse, so watch out for that one too.

Comment from: Dahelp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have a small blister, dark red in center of 4 x 4 in red circle. It is burning like fire, hard as a rock and underneath skin it hurts to touch. The pain is spreading down to my knee and top of inner thigh. My body is freezing and leg is on fire, I am sleepy and nauseated. I don't know what bit me, I was putting mason jars in an old dark shed that had spiders in it. Nothing I do helps. Antibiotic creams or opening center bump that was white, now dark red. There are small blisters around the center bump.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I went fishing one night in an area that is known to have lots and lots of spiders (the local lock and piers). The spiders have webs all over the rail system. I generally pay no attention to them. I got home early on a Friday morning from a night of fishing and noticed my left forearm was itching like crazy. I went to bed and got up a few hours later and noticed some swelling. The swelling increased over the course of the day and as an outdoorsman that has been bitten by just about everything there is, I paid it no mind. I got to bed Friday night. I woke up Saturday morning and panic set in. My left forearm was about 3 times the size it should be. Blisters were starting to pop up all around my forearm and the swelling had moved into my hand and up into by bicep area. It's actually very hard to describe how big the swelling was; my skin was so tight it was starting to split open. I went to the emergency room. They could not diagnose what type of spider it was. I was admitted and put on a constant antibiotic and steroid drip for 5 days and 4 nights. I was later told had I waited much longer, I could have lost my arm.

Comment from: Wersdon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had spider bite on the top of middle finger. I stupidly squashed the spider with my finger, I felt the bite like a little needle, and felt fine for a day. Then throat started tightening having a reaction to it. After that I had lots of symptoms, fever, generally feeling unwell, then the pain started in finger; it felt like a sharp sting feeling which moved to my wrist. Since then I can feel something moving up and down my wrist, very painful. Some painkillers don't even touch it. I've been to the general physician but they just think it's a trapped nerve but the pain isn't going away, it is going worse. What makes it worse is, there no sign of anything, it feels like it's all going on inside. The general physician thinks nothing going on.

Comment from: lew, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

My wife got up and found 4 spots that looked like bites, around her middle, and they seem to be real sore. I've checked around the bed and the chair she sits most of the day in and can't find any sign of spiders.

Comment from: karriann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have 2 or more blister type bites on the tip and along the side of my pinky finger. I am having sharp pains in the joints of my fingers, I wonder if this could be a spider bite.

Spider Bites - Type of Spider and Reaction Question: What type of spider bit you, and did you have a reaction?
Spider Bites (Black Widow, Brown Recluse) - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your spider bite?
Spider Bites - Brown Recluse Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a brown recluse spider? Please share your story.
Spider Bites - Black Widow Question: Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.