spectinomycin-injection, Trobicin (cont.)
PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: throat infections, exposure to syphilis, any allergies. A preservative (benzyl alcohol) which may be found in this product or in the liquid used to mix this product (diluent) can infrequently cause serious problems (sometimes death), if given in large amounts (more than 100 mg/kg daily) to an infant during the first months of life (neonatal period). The risk is also greater with low birth weight infants. Symptoms include sudden gasping, low blood pressure, or a very slow heartbeat. Report these symptoms to the doctor immediately should they occur. If possible, a preservative-free product should be used when treating neonates. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this medication. It is not known whether this drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Tell your doctor of all prescription and nonprescription medication you may use, especially: "blood thinners" (e.g., warfarin or heparins). Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.
OVERDOSE: If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. US residents can call the US national poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222. Canadian residents should call their local poison control center directly.
NOTES: This medication will only treat gonorrhea. To treat other possible infections (e.g., chlamydia), it is important to take all other medication as prescribed. Your sex partner should be treated as well. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for ways to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, including the use of latex condoms. Laboratory and/or medical tests may be performed to monitor for side effects and response to treatment.
MISSED DOSE: If you miss a dose, contact your doctor immediately to establish a new dosing schedule.
STORAGE: Store at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 to 25 degrees C) away from light and moisture. After mixing in the correct IV fluids (consult your pharmacist for details), the drug is stable at room temperature for 24 hours. Discard any unused liquid.
Last Editorial Review: 3/2/2005
Back to Medications Index
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox FREE!