Patient Comments: Sore Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your sore throat (pharyngitis) last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Tom, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I got a cold that led to my sore throat, which I have had for five days now, and I still have it. I find that drinking coke soothes my throat and eating cereal helps as well. Sometimes the pain is too much to eat, but I always force myself to eat.

Comment from: libbycp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My sore throat symptoms progressed to include a fever that felt very high and disturbed my sleep, though I do not know exactly how high my fever got. I believe the fever was so bad because I was dehydrated. My doctor had warned me to drink plenty, but I ignored her because it hurt so bad to drink or eat. That was a bad mistake. I think I would have been in the hospital if I had not started forcing down liquids last night. It has now been about seven days since my sore throat began. I am 52 years old. I mention this because I have rarely been sick since childhood, but since turning 50, my illnesses are pretty severe. My doctor says this is normal. So I hope all those older than 50 will take special note.

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a sore throat for about a month before my regular oncology checkup. It was in the right side of my throat and I didn't really notice it unless I was swallowing. I talked to the Doctor about it on my visit and he suggested getting off of the exemestane for 7 days to see what happened. At the end of those 7 days it was just about gone. I started taking the exemestane again. Now 3 months have gone by and the sore throat is back on the right side of my throat again. It wasn't there last week when I had my regular check-up, so I will contact the Doc with the current happenings. I also have joint pain and muscle pain that have gotten much worse since the beginning of this year. Looks like it may be time for a change to something else. I am in a research study between exemestane and tamoxifen, so we will see what happens.

Published: July 22

My severe sore throat (pharyngitis) was accompanied by dryness and inflammation for four weeks. Advil or Ibuprofen was significantly better for me than Tylenol; however, I used the liquid form because of the severity of soreness and pain. My doctor prescribed prednisone because of the length and severity of pain and inflammation (40 milligrams for two days; then 30 milligrams for two days; then 20 milligrams for two days; then 10 milligrams for two days; then I was finished. My pharyngitis was thought to be brought on by my inhalation of a chemical irritant.

Comment from: jackie, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 16

My son was very healthy and has not been sick for years. He is now going into his 4th week of ulceric white lumps. Painful throat, can't swallow. Nothing is working. Doctors are ignoring us now as they say to ride it out Idiots! Will have to go to the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully there will be a native doctor from this country who knows more about medicine than the textbook or website he/she reads.

Comment from: sick girl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have had a sore throat for about two months. It is always there but sometimes isn't that bad. This past week it has been really sore and I haven't been able to sing well. What should I do? I'm wondering if I might have strep throat.

Comment from: CLC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My throat has been sore off and on for about a week. During the day it is OK, but when night comes, it is extremely sore. When I wake up it's slightly sore. I have been taking lozenges, hot tea and lemon, and lozenges in hot water. One day the right side is sore; the next day, the left side is sore; then both!

Sore Throat - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of sore throat and how long did they last?
Sore Throat - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - OTC Remedies Question: What OTC remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - Antibiotics Question: What antibiotics were you prescribed for sore throat and why?
Sore Throat - Experience Question: Please share your experience with sore throat.