Patient Comments: Sore Throat - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of sore throat and how long did they last?

Comment from: Mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for about a week, with a fever and sweats at night. It's very tough to eat. I am 44 and in good shape. I have never had cold symptoms for more than a week, but last year, I moved into an apartment that heats with forced hot air. I had the same sore throat last year for more than three weeks. Finally, I went to the doctor. He gave me a week's supply of antibiotics. That was the only thing that cured it. My point is: If you are not a chronic sick person, and your cold symptoms last for more than a week, call you doctor. You don't even have to see him, a nurse can fill a prescription over the phone.

Comment from: JohnQ, 45-54 Male Published: November 04

i am suffering from severe tonsillitis caused by a sore throat. Now I am towards the end of a long course of Amoclan 1g, together with Ibidroxil 500mg. Now the signs of tonsillitis are diminishing but an intolerable severe throat burning developed. I cannot drink water regularly, because of the burning and cannot talk for more than 5 minutes because i feel choked.

Comment from: ginny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for more than two years. I saw an ENT and was told it was caused by GERD. At first, Prilosec helped a little. The dose was increased to twice a day with no change. I have had an endoscopy, which was negative.

Comment from: KittyVonWowwow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for four days now. It came on within a couple of hours with aches in my neck, swollen glands, headache, and a slight swelling in my cheeks. There's also a fever too, which won't seem to budge. In the past, I've found that warm honey and lemon with ground ginger and beechams/lemsip usually work quite well for soothing, as well as gargling with warm salt water/saline solution. Ice lollies/popsicles help too.

Sore Throat - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - OTC Remedies Question: What OTC remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - Antibiotics Question: What antibiotics were you prescribed for sore throat and why?
Sore Throat - Experience Question: Please share your experience with sore throat.