Patient Comments: Sore Throat - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of sore throat and how long did they last?

A Doctor's View on Sore Throat Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Most everybody has suffered from a sore throat at one time or another. You may experience symptoms along with a sore throat like fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, painful swallowing, and other signs. Just how long your sore throat lasts depends on if it is caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Any sore throat that lasts longer than 10 days should be evaluated by a health care professional. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for about a week, with a fever and sweats at night. It's very tough to eat. I am 44 and in good shape. I have never had cold symptoms for more than a week, but last year, I moved into an apartment that heats with forced hot air. I had the same sore throat last year for more than three weeks. Finally, I went to the doctor. He gave me a week's supply of antibiotics. That was the only thing that cured it. My point is: If you are not a chronic sick person, and your cold symptoms last for more than a week, call you doctor. You don't even have to see him, a nurse can fill a prescription over the phone.

Comment from: JohnQ, 45-54 Male Published: November 04

i am suffering from severe tonsillitis caused by a sore throat. Now I am towards the end of a long course of Amoclan 1g, together with Ibidroxil 500mg. Now the signs of tonsillitis are diminishing but an intolerable severe throat burning developed. I cannot drink water regularly, because of the burning and cannot talk for more than 5 minutes because i feel choked.

Comment from: ginny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for more than two years. I saw an ENT and was told it was caused by GERD. At first, Prilosec helped a little. The dose was increased to twice a day with no change. I have had an endoscopy, which was negative.

Comment from: KittyVonWowwow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for four days now. It came on within a couple of hours with aches in my neck, swollen glands, headache, and a slight swelling in my cheeks. There's also a fever too, which won't seem to budge. In the past, I've found that warm honey and lemon with ground ginger and beechams/lemsip usually work quite well for soothing, as well as gargling with warm salt water/saline solution. Ice lollies/popsicles help too.

Comment from: Tom, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I got a cold that led to my sore throat, which I have had for five days now, and I still have it. I find that drinking coke soothes my throat and eating cereal helps as well. Sometimes the pain is too much to eat, but I always force myself to eat.

Comment from: jackie, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 16

My son was very healthy and has not been sick for years. He is now going into his 4th week of ulceric white lumps. Painful throat, can't swallow. Nothing is working. Doctors are ignoring us now as they say to ride it out Idiots! Will have to go to the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully there will be a native doctor from this country who knows more about medicine than the textbook or website he/she reads.

Comment from: libbycp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My sore throat symptoms progressed to include a fever that felt very high and disturbed my sleep, though I do not know exactly how high my fever got. I believe the fever was so bad because I was dehydrated. My doctor had warned me to drink plenty, but I ignored her because it hurt so bad to drink or eat. That was a bad mistake. I think I would have been in the hospital if I had not started forcing down liquids last night. It has now been about seven days since my sore throat began. I am 52 years old. I mention this because I have rarely been sick since childhood, but since turning 50, my illnesses are pretty severe. My doctor says this is normal. So I hope all those older than 50 will take special note.

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had a sore throat for about a month before my regular oncology checkup. It was in the right side of my throat and I didn't really notice it unless I was swallowing. I talked to the Doctor about it on my visit and he suggested getting off of the exemestane for 7 days to see what happened. At the end of those 7 days it was just about gone. I started taking the exemestane again. Now 3 months have gone by and the sore throat is back on the right side of my throat again. It wasn't there last week when I had my regular check-up, so I will contact the Doc with the current happenings. I also have joint pain and muscle pain that have gotten much worse since the beginning of this year. Looks like it may be time for a change to something else. I am in a research study between exemestane and tamoxifen, so we will see what happens.

Sore Throat - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - OTC Remedies Question: What OTC remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - Antibiotics Question: What antibiotics were you prescribed for sore throat and why?
Sore Throat - Experience Question: Please share your experience with sore throat.