Patient Comments: Sore Throat - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of sore throat and how long did they last?

A Doctor's View on Sore Throat Symptoms

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Most everybody has suffered from a sore throat at one time or another. You may experience symptoms along with a sore throat like fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, painful swallowing, and other signs. Just how long your sore throat lasts depends on if it is caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Any sore throat that lasts longer than 10 days should be evaluated by a health care professional. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: bpn, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I am suffering throat pain while talking with others for a long time and voice is not clearing while talking. When speaking in a loud voice I am feeling pain.

Comment from: drbubba, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I have had sore throat for almost two weeks; tested and found no infection or strep. I take liquid analgesic which only helps for about 10 minutes. I use cough drops and Chloraseptic spray with little relief. Next I will try sinus irrigation to relieve post-nasal drip and medication for acid reflux.

Comment from: Mike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for about a week, with a fever and sweats at night. It's very tough to eat. I am 44 and in good shape. I have never had cold symptoms for more than a week, but last year, I moved into an apartment that heats with forced hot air. I had the same sore throat last year for more than three weeks. Finally, I went to the doctor. He gave me a week's supply of antibiotics. That was the only thing that cured it. My point is: If you are not a chronic sick person, and your cold symptoms last for more than a week, call you doctor. You don't even have to see him, a nurse can fill a prescription over the phone.

Comment from: JohnQ, 45-54 Male Published: November 04

i am suffering from severe tonsillitis caused by a sore throat. Now I am towards the end of a long course of Amoclan 1g, together with Ibidroxil 500mg. Now the signs of tonsillitis are diminishing but an intolerable severe throat burning developed. I cannot drink water regularly, because of the burning and cannot talk for more than 5 minutes because i feel choked.

Comment from: ginny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for more than two years. I saw an ENT and was told it was caused by GERD. At first, Prilosec helped a little. The dose was increased to twice a day with no change. I have had an endoscopy, which was negative.

Comment from: KittyVonWowwow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had a sore throat for four days now. It came on within a couple of hours with aches in my neck, swollen glands, headache, and a slight swelling in my cheeks. There's also a fever too, which won't seem to budge. In the past, I've found that warm honey and lemon with ground ginger and beechams/lemsip usually work quite well for soothing, as well as gargling with warm salt water/saline solution. Ice lollies/popsicles help too.

Comment from: Tom, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I got a cold that led to my sore throat, which I have had for five days now, and I still have it. I find that drinking coke soothes my throat and eating cereal helps as well. Sometimes the pain is too much to eat, but I always force myself to eat.

Comment from: libbycp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My sore throat symptoms progressed to include a fever that felt very high and disturbed my sleep, though I do not know exactly how high my fever got. I believe the fever was so bad because I was dehydrated. My doctor had warned me to drink plenty, but I ignored her because it hurt so bad to drink or eat. That was a bad mistake. I think I would have been in the hospital if I had not started forcing down liquids last night. It has now been about seven days since my sore throat began. I am 52 years old. I mention this because I have rarely been sick since childhood, but since turning 50, my illnesses are pretty severe. My doctor says this is normal. So I hope all those older than 50 will take special note.

Sore Throat - Home Remedies Question: What home remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - OTC Remedies Question: What OTC remedies were helpful with the symptoms of sore throat?
Sore Throat - Antibiotics Question: What antibiotics were you prescribed for sore throat and why?
Sore Throat - Experience Question: Please share your experience with sore throat.
Sore Throat - Strep Throat Question: Please share your experience with strep or sore throat.