Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting

Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit.

Comment from: juju, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I wasn't successful in quitting smoking the first couple of times I tried. When I became more determined, I spoke to my doctor and she prescribed Chantix. This was like a miracle for me. After a few days of taking Chantix, I found myself reaching for a cigarette and realizing I didn't really want it. At that point, I knew I finally had it whipped. It's been 8 years and I haven't backslid. You have to be truly determined and stay determined in order to succeed. Perhaps once or twice a year I still have a desire to smoke, but I know if I just wait a day, the urge will go away. I love being a non-smoker and I'm saving tons of money.

Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking.
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles Question: What are/were your biggest obstacles in quitting smoking?
Quitting Smoking - The First Day Question: What was it like the day you quit smoking? Give others an idea of what to expect by describing your experience.
Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions Question: Did you try a prescription treatment to quit smoking? For someone who's never tried it, describe what it's like.
Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work Question: Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?