- How Smoking Affects Your Looks & Life Slideshow
- Tips to Quit Smoking Slideshow
- Take the Quiz on Smoking
- Smoking FAQs
- Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments
- Patient Comments: Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles
- Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions
- Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work
- Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting
- Find a local Internist in your town
- Smoking and quitting smoking facts
- What problems are caused by smoking?
- What are the symptoms and signs of cigarette addiction?
- What are the steps in quitting?
- Getting ready to quit smoking
- On the day you quit smoking
- Staying quit
- What methods can help a person quit smoking?
- Nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking
- Nicotine patches
- Nicorette gum
- Nicotine lozenges
- What prescription products are available for smoking cessation?
- How can nicotine-containing products be used safely?
- What are e-cigarettes?
- Is an e-cigarette harmful?
- Is secondhand smoke from e-cigarettes harmful?
- What is in the future for smoking?
Quick GuideHow to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
What are e-cigarettes?
e-Cigarettes are smokable, refillable containers or cartridges that contain fluid consisting of solvents, flavors, and varying amounts of nicotine. Inhaling from the devices is known as "vaping." Negative pressure on the cartridge created by inhaling triggers a battery-powered heating and vaporization of the solution. The composition of the fluid in e-cigarettes varies depending upon the manufacturer.
Is an e-cigarette harmful?
There is little scientific information that determines how safe or unsafe e-cigarettes may be. Nicotine in any form is known to be addictive, and nicotine addiction can develop from using e-cigarettes. Nicotine has been shown to cause adverse health effects including:
- abdominal pain, and
- eye irritation.
More serious effects can occur with high doses of nicotine, such as:
The US Food and Drug Administration has reported that cancer-causing nitrosamines have been detected in some e-cigarettes. Further, poison centers have reported numerous cases of poisonings of small children from consuming the liquid in the cartridges of e-cigarettes.