Patient Comments: Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles

Question:What are/were your biggest obstacles in quitting smoking?

Comment from: lupinedream, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

My biggest obstacle in quitting smoking was that certain things during the day would "trigger" a temptation to smoke, like I had to have my first cigarette immediately when I woke up, rain or blizzard, I had to be out there. Another "trigger" was right after eating, right after showering (which really doesn't make sense because I often took a shower to get away from the nasty smell (when you are a smoker you don't realize how bad it is!) I failed about two weeks ago going cold turkey but now I am using the gum which seems to help a lot. One day thirteen hours so far but with pretty heavy cravings, the gum does take the edge off for me! I am chewing about 8 pieces a day once every two hours or so. I quit successfully on the patch about two years ago. It is true your first attempt almost never works! Keep trying! Be motivated, that is the key! I have a few good friends to call if I get cravings. Seems like my cell phone addiction takes precedence over the nicotine.

Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking.
Quitting Smoking - The First Day Question: What was it like the day you quit smoking? Give others an idea of what to expect by describing your experience.
Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions Question: Did you try a prescription treatment to quit smoking? For someone who's never tried it, describe what it's like.
Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work Question: Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?
Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting Question: Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit.