Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments

Question:What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking.

Comment from: LauraB, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I had smoked since I was 18, and when Chantix came out, my doctor said I should give it a try. I filled the prescription on a Friday night about 5:30, had my last cigarette around 3:30 p.m., and after taking my first Chantix pill, I never wanted another cigarette! I did not crave them, was not grouchy, and did not gain weight. When I went to work Monday morning, the lady that was previously assigned to be my cube partner said she would give it a try sitting with me, but if she smelled one cigarette, she was moving. That was April 2006, and I never smoked again, nor did I want to! I had tried many times before with different devices, and even though my mother died of lung cancer (smoker), I still could not quit until I took Chantix. I had one refill just to make sure I was ok. I had no side effects whatsoever. I just retired this year (2014) and am very happy my husband and I have our retirement together!

Comment from: terrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was prescribed bupropion (Welbutrin) to quit smoking. I have not started the pills yet. I have been reading all that I can about this medicine because I have tried to quit many times and not succeeded. I have been prescribed varenicline (Chantix) in the past twice, and I got severely sick. In turn, I smoked even more cigarettes. I have tried the gum, patches, etc. I am not new to quitting smoking. I have quit successfully twice: The first time for four years and the second time for 10 years. Life changes bring me back to the nasty habit, such as a marriage to a smoker and a death of a beloved family member. Both of those times I quit cold turkey! I might have to do that this time.

Comment from: Priscilla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 63 and have been smoking since I was 17. I finally decided to stop because of the price of smokes in New Jersey and the fact it's such an anti-social habit. Oh, boy! It is not easy, and now that I have read about the side effects of nicotine gum (addiction to the gum, hair loss, etc.) that scares me even more. I found that EFT tapping really helps me over the desperation times. I thought it was such a stupid thing until I tried it one day when I was close to lighting up again after three smoke-free weeks. It really helped immensely, though for the life of me I can't understand why and still feel faintly ridiculous whenever I do it.

Comment from: becky, 35-44 Female Published: May 20

I was prescribed Wellbutrin in the mid 90s, and I quit smoking the first day I took the pill. It made cigarettes taste painfully awful and it worked immediately. I stopped smoking for five years. However, I am trying to quit again without Wellbutrin and nothing seems to work. My mother and grandmother quit smoking after 40 years by placing Copenhagen in between their toes and wearing a nylon stocking over their feet when they slept or during the day. I thought they were both crazy. Neither has smoked in 15 years.

Comment from: Terri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been smoking for 23 years and my husband even longer. We have both tried several times to quit and tried the patches, gum, and Wellbutrin. We are trying the patch again and are doing very well. We have quit now for 15 days. I find it easier with each day. I hope us all success.

Comment from: anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was very depressed, (loss of job, deaths of family members), so my therapist suggested I take Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I am now on it about 4 months and it has not helped with the urge to smoke. I have been using the patch for months. Then I buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke them and then put on a patch again. It is absolutely crazy. Now I am using the 'gum'. I had quit successfully for 10 years with the gum, but picked up again when my sister died and am now smoking for 5 years again. I am going to keep taking the Bupropin. Even though there are some side effects, my throat swells and my breathing seems suppressed and my chest feels tight. My GP said these side effects were slight and 'might' get better. I just don't want to be in a depression any more and smoking to make myself feel 'happier'. I hope the gum will help, and by reducing it over time I will be nicotine-free.

Comment from: Shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 40 year old medical student and yes I smoke but I have been trying to quit. I was put on Chanix and I did quit. A week later I lit one up. Now my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. I will have been on it a week in two days. I am hoping it works.

Comment from: Sandra M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had tried "Bupropion", a prescription similar to Zyban, but I found it made me very ill-tempered and angry, and I ended up returning to smoking. Then my doctor started me on Chantix (which is called Champix in Canada.) It made me nauseated on a number of occasions, to the point that I had to lay down on my bed for a few minutes until it passed, even if this made me a bit late for work. But it helped me cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoked for a week or two and then I stopped altogether.

Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles Question: What are/were your biggest obstacles in quitting smoking?
Quitting Smoking - The First Day Question: What was it like the day you quit smoking? Give others an idea of what to expect by describing your experience.
Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions Question: Did you try a prescription treatment to quit smoking? For someone who's never tried it, describe what it's like.
Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work Question: Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?
Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting Question: Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit.