Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments

Question:What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking.

Comment from: JPC1965, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

The initial step to help me quit smoking was unwanted, but it was almost necessary, I got pneumonia. Since it takes about 3 days for the nicotine to leave the bloodstream, I got to this point with no cigarettes because I was in the hospital. Another two days in the hospital and I got discharged and had no cravings for cigarettes at all, but, I still thought about cigarettes. So when I thought of a cigarettes, that slight tugging at me, I broke out the carrot sticks! Here's a trick I learned. As you pick up the carrot stick you can hold it in your fingers like a cigarette and each time you take a bite think of inhaling; a carrot! You may just replace the thought of cigarettes with the thought of carrots!

Comment from: LauraB, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

I had smoked since I was 18, and when Chantix came out, my doctor said I should give it a try. I filled the prescription on a Friday night about 5:30, had my last cigarette around 3:30 p.m., and after taking my first Chantix pill, I never wanted another cigarette! I did not crave them, was not grouchy, and did not gain weight. When I went to work Monday morning, the lady that was previously assigned to be my cube partner said she would give it a try sitting with me, but if she smelled one cigarette, she was moving. That was April 2006, and I never smoked again, nor did I want to! I had tried many times before with different devices, and even though my mother died of lung cancer (smoker), I still could not quit until I took Chantix. I had one refill just to make sure I was ok. I had no side effects whatsoever. I just retired this year (2014) and am very happy my husband and I have our retirement together!

Comment from: Sharath, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

Day 1 is the hardest when you quit smoking. If you quit for day 1 you are free. The best way to stay away from smoke is if you get a craving just sleep for one hour. So keep doing that, whenever you get a craving just sleep on day 1. Next day is even easier and that is it. You will be nicotine free.

Comment from: terrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was prescribed bupropion (Welbutrin) to quit smoking. I have not started the pills yet. I have been reading all that I can about this medicine because I have tried to quit many times and not succeeded. I have been prescribed varenicline (Chantix) in the past twice, and I got severely sick. In turn, I smoked even more cigarettes. I have tried the gum, patches, etc. I am not new to quitting smoking. I have quit successfully twice: The first time for four years and the second time for 10 years. Life changes bring me back to the nasty habit, such as a marriage to a smoker and a death of a beloved family member. Both of those times I quit cold turkey! I might have to do that this time.

Comment from: Priscilla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I am 63 and have been smoking since I was 17. I finally decided to stop because of the price of smokes in New Jersey and the fact it's such an anti-social habit. Oh, boy! It is not easy, and now that I have read about the side effects of nicotine gum (addiction to the gum, hair loss, etc.) that scares me even more. I found that EFT tapping really helps me over the desperation times. I thought it was such a stupid thing until I tried it one day when I was close to lighting up again after three smoke-free weeks. It really helped immensely, though for the life of me I can't understand why and still feel faintly ridiculous whenever I do it.

Comment from: anna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was very depressed, (loss of job, deaths of family members), so my therapist suggested I take Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I am now on it about 4 months and it has not helped with the urge to smoke. I have been using the patch for months. Then I buy a pack of cigarettes and smoke them and then put on a patch again. It is absolutely crazy. Now I am using the 'gum'. I had quit successfully for 10 years with the gum, but picked up again when my sister died and am now smoking for 5 years again. I am going to keep taking the Bupropin. Even though there are some side effects, my throat swells and my breathing seems suppressed and my chest feels tight. My GP said these side effects were slight and 'might' get better. I just don't want to be in a depression any more and smoking to make myself feel 'happier'. I hope the gum will help, and by reducing it over time I will be nicotine-free.

Comment from: Shell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 40 year old medical student and yes I smoke but I have been trying to quit. I was put on Chanix and I did quit. A week later I lit one up. Now my doctor put me on Wellbutrin. I will have been on it a week in two days. I am hoping it works.

Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles Question: What are/were your biggest obstacles in quitting smoking?
Quitting Smoking - The First Day Question: What was it like the day you quit smoking? Give others an idea of what to expect by describing your experience.
Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions Question: Did you try a prescription treatment to quit smoking? For someone who's never tried it, describe what it's like.
Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work Question: Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?
Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting Question: Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit.