Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments

Question:What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking.

Comment from: papa budley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I smoked for almost 50 years and quit last year. I did it the easy way: I just said no more. I do not think that nicotine is addictive. Is it a bad habit? Yes, but is it addictive? No. If I want a juicy steak, does that mean that I'm addicted to it? I wanted a cigarette for maybe a week, and then I just forgot about it. My wife smokes, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment from: missy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have been a smoker for 24 years and have tried many things to help me quit over the years including patches gum home remedies and prescription medications with no success for any length of time, I was encouraged by the results of former smokers who used Chantix as an aid but then discouraged that many insurance companies do not cover this med and the out of pocket expense is quite large for someone with limited resources. Getting help shouldn't be so hard.

Comment from: Thomas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I smoked a pack a day for more than 35 years, starting as a young teenager and have previously failed to be able to stop by using acupuncture, Welbutrin, hypnosis, or several other methods. I stopped cold turkey in November of 2008 by having a cold-laser treatment in Orlando, Fla. It took 30 minutes, combined smoking cessation, stress reduction, and appetite suppressant all in one. I would have bet anything that it would not work, but I'm now a non-smoker and do not use any form of tobacco or nicotine. Check it out: It really worked for me!

Comment from: jaded, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I am happy to say that I am a non-smoker now. I tried the patch, Zyban, Wellbutrin, and Chantix. What finally worked for me was good old-fashioned cold turkey. You have to get the nicotine out of your system, and it gets better.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: September 25

I quit smoking after 15 years as a heavy smoker using Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking." I have no urge to smoke again, nor do I miss cigarettes. The book cost less than a pack and requires no replacement therapy. I advise anyone to try it, as you really have nothing to lose.

Comment from: Want to quit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have tried everything to try to quit: cold turkey, chewing gum, Zyban, hypnosis nothing has worked for long, I always go back. Is Chantix an option? I have read about the side effects and it is scary.

Comment from: Toxin Free, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I have been a smoker for over 20 years. Last month I did the Master Cleanse (10 day only drinking water and a special lemonade). It has been 20 days now and I have only had maybe 3 momentary cravings. Having something else to think about worked for me and the cleanse removes all the toxins in your body.

Published: December 17

I am using Chantix. I'm on my 2nd week of not smoking and am doing great. It really reduces the urge and side effects related to smoking. This is going to work for me. I have no desire to smoke.

Comment from: Genie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I have recently stopped smoking using Chantix. I found it fairly easy to stop. It has now been a little over two months. I will admit that I still miss the ciggies, but I am struggling on. I hope I manage to stay a non-smoker.

Comment from: Quit smoking now, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I used chantix and it has some side effects but even i am very comfortable with chantix only. I am started before 2 months. I feel that I left my habit.

Comment from: buttout, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have tried the patch quit for 65 days then went back and I have just started Chantix day 3 of non smoking, we will see what happens.

Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles Question: What are/were your biggest obstacles in quitting smoking?
Quitting Smoking - The First Day Question: What was it like the day you quit smoking? Give others an idea of what to expect by describing your experience.
Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions Question: Did you try a prescription treatment to quit smoking? For someone who's never tried it, describe what it's like.
Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work Question: Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?
Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting Question: Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit.