Patient Comments: Quitting Smoking- Effective Treatments

Question:What treatments have been effective to assist in quitting smoking.

Comment from: becky, 35-44 Female Published: May 20

I was prescribed Wellbutrin in the mid 90s, and I quit smoking the first day I took the pill. It made cigarettes taste painfully awful and it worked immediately. I stopped smoking for five years. However, I am trying to quit again without Wellbutrin and nothing seems to work. My mother and grandmother quit smoking after 40 years by placing Copenhagen in between their toes and wearing a nylon stocking over their feet when they slept or during the day. I thought they were both crazy. Neither has smoked in 15 years.

Comment from: Terri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been smoking for 23 years and my husband even longer. We have both tried several times to quit and tried the patches, gum, and Wellbutrin. We are trying the patch again and are doing very well. We have quit now for 15 days. I find it easier with each day. I hope us all success.

Comment from: papa budley, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I smoked for almost 50 years and quit last year. I did it the easy way: I just said no more. I do not think that nicotine is addictive. Is it a bad habit? Yes, but is it addictive? No. If I want a juicy steak, does that mean that I'm addicted to it? I wanted a cigarette for maybe a week, and then I just forgot about it. My wife smokes, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Comment from: missy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have been a smoker for 24 years and have tried many things to help me quit over the years including patches gum home remedies and prescription medications with no success for any length of time, I was encouraged by the results of former smokers who used Chantix as an aid but then discouraged that many insurance companies do not cover this med and the out of pocket expense is quite large for someone with limited resources. Getting help shouldn't be so hard.

Comment from: Sandra M., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had tried "Bupropion", a prescription similar to Zyban, but I found it made me very ill-tempered and angry, and I ended up returning to smoking. Then my doctor started me on Chantix (which is called Champix in Canada.) It made me nauseated on a number of occasions, to the point that I had to lay down on my bed for a few minutes until it passed, even if this made me a bit late for work. But it helped me cut down on the number of cigarettes I smoked for a week or two and then I stopped altogether.

Comment from: Thomas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I smoked a pack a day for more than 35 years, starting as a young teenager and have previously failed to be able to stop by using acupuncture, Welbutrin, hypnosis, or several other methods. I stopped cold turkey in November of 2008 by having a cold-laser treatment in Orlando, Fla. It took 30 minutes, combined smoking cessation, stress reduction, and appetite suppressant all in one. I would have bet anything that it would not work, but I'm now a non-smoker and do not use any form of tobacco or nicotine. Check it out: It really worked for me!

Comment from: jaded, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I am happy to say that I am a non-smoker now. I tried the patch, Zyban, Wellbutrin, and Chantix. What finally worked for me was good old-fashioned cold turkey. You have to get the nicotine out of your system, and it gets better.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: September 25

I quit smoking after 15 years as a heavy smoker using Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking." I have no urge to smoke again, nor do I miss cigarettes. The book cost less than a pack and requires no replacement therapy. I advise anyone to try it, as you really have nothing to lose.

Comment from: Want to quit, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have tried everything to try to quit: cold turkey, chewing gum, Zyban, hypnosis nothing has worked for long, I always go back. Is Chantix an option? I have read about the side effects and it is scary.

Comment from: Toxin Free, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

I have been a smoker for over 20 years. Last month I did the Master Cleanse (10 day only drinking water and a special lemonade). It has been 20 days now and I have only had maybe 3 momentary cravings. Having something else to think about worked for me and the cleanse removes all the toxins in your body.

Smoking (How to Quit Smoking) - Obstacles Question: What are/were your biggest obstacles in quitting smoking?
Quitting Smoking - The First Day Question: What was it like the day you quit smoking? Give others an idea of what to expect by describing your experience.
Quitting Smoking - Prescriptions Question: Did you try a prescription treatment to quit smoking? For someone who's never tried it, describe what it's like.
Quitting Smoking - Methods That Work Question: Discuss the various methods you tried to quit smoking. What, if anything, worked?
Quitting Smoking - Tips for Quitting Question: Did you quit smoking for good? If so, how did you do it? Please provide tips to help others who are trying to quit.