- How Smoking Affects Your Looks & Life Slideshow
- Tips to Quit Smoking Slideshow
- Take the Quiz on Smoking
- Patient Comments: Smoking and Heart Disease - Quitting
- Find a local Doctor in your town
Quick Guide25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
How Does Smoking Increase Heart Disease Risk?
The nicotine present in smoke causes heart disease by:
- Decreasing oxygen to the heart.
- Increasing blood pressure and heart rate.
- Increasing blood clotting.
- Damaging to cells that line coronary arteries and other blood vessels.
How Can Quitting Smoking Be Helpful?
Now that you know how smoking can be harmful to your health and the health of those around you, here are some ways quitting can be helpful. If you quit smoking, you will:
- Prolong your life.
- Reduce your risk of disease (including heart disease, heart attack,
blood pressure, lung cancer, throat cancer,
gum disease, and
- Feel healthier. After quitting, you won't cough as much, you'll have fewer
sore throats and you will increase your stamina.
- Look better. Quitting can help you prevent face
wrinkles, get rid of
stained teeth, and improve your skin.
- Improve your sense of taste and smell.
- Save money.