Patient Comments: Smokers' Lung - COPD and Pneumonia

If you're a smoker with COPD, have you ever had pneumonia? Please share your story.

Comment from: Tamm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 47 years old. When I was 43 years old I was diagnosed with stage 2 throat cancer! I had 6 weeks radiation twice a day and that was in March! I had to wait 3 months after treatment to see if it cured the cancer and thankfully it was. Started having more problems and had PET scan. It showed 3 spots in my lungs and they did biopsies. While doing that my lung collapsed and I was on the breathing machine for 4 days before it sealed itself up. I went thought chemotherapy and radiation for that! That was in November/December. In January I was coughing up blood and it got so bad that I had to go to emergency room. They said I had pneumonia and was put in the hospital for 2 weeks on IV antibiotics and breathing treatments. It hurt to breathe, felt like I was being smothered and someone was stabbing me in my lung with a knife; not a good feeling. I was released with diagnosis of COPD on top of everything else. Thankfully I am a survivor from the cancer but on a daily basis I fight to breathe right. Daily activity is harder now. If I could go back I never would have taken and inhaled that first cigarette or worked with chemicals. Some aren't as lucky as I am and they don't make it!

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have pretty severe COPD now. I have been smoking and still do smoke 2 packs a day... for 40 years. In the last 21 years I've been sick 3 times with either the flu or a sinus infection that required me to go to the hospital. I never got pneumonia because I always got to the hospital early on. I take flu shots, stay out of crowds and away from children, use sanitizer for grocery carts and menus, and wash my hands often. I could get sick and die with little trouble, but I'm being as careful as I can to stay away from germs. Spiriva, Albuterol, and a humidifier, as well as guaifenesin for coughing all control the worst of it.

Comment from: law, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am 44 years old and I have emphysema and I have a hard time doing daily things like carrying laundry up the stairs or making the bed without getting winded and having to rest. I am waiting for results of my second set of blood tests because my other cbc showed high red blood cell count, high platelets and high white cell count. The only thing I can find to explain that is cancer. Hope I am wrong, but I have no one to blame but myself :-(

Comment from: Catlady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a 55-year-old female. I discovered I have COPD when I got pneumonia. It was horrible. I have had pneumonia three other times. There is this feeling of water filling up in my lungs and I can't walk from my bedroom to the bathroom without gasping for air. Cigarettes or nicotine are terrible and addictive drugs. I'm angry that I did this to myself.

Smokers' Lung - Emphysema Question: Please share your history and experience with smoking and emphysema.
Smokers' Lung - Lung Cancer Concerns Question: If you, a friend, or relative smokes, please share your experience with or concerns about lung cancer.