Patient Comments: SIBO - Treatment

What treatments were effective with SIBO?

Comment from: SandraCA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have delayed gastric emptying which contributed to this condition. My main symptoms of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) were massive bloating and cramping. It took decades to figure out what it was but a doctor was suspicious it could be SIBO and gave me Xifaxan which started working by day 3. It's like a miracle drug. If you have a really bad case, one course of drugs may not keep it away so my doctor always gives me a refill. I don't know what I'd do without that drug and it's impressive how fast it works.

Comment from: VinnyZane, 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 24

IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is not an illness, there is an underlying issue that causes IBS. SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) is one of those things, I had it. I took a course of Xifaxan antibiotic which destroyed basically all bacteria in the gut, good and bad. Right after, I started taking probiotics and supplements to help me reset gut with good bacteria. This was highly effective for me, but if you are not a fan of antibiotics there are Herbal supplements you can take as well.

SIBO - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with SIBO?
SIBO - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of SIBO?
SIBO - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with SIBO.