Patient Comments: SIBO - Causes

What was the cause of your case of SIBO?

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

It is uncertain what the cause of my SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) is, which give massive bloating even when I just eat small amount. It is worse with breads or eating more, especially fiber. Mild to moderate chronic constipation maybe cause or aggravating issue. With antibiotic then massive probiotics, there is great positive change. The constipation is gone and I seem to be able to normally digest everything and there no bloat. But because I can't get the Xifaxan as I don't have diarrhea, I must resort to regular antibiotics and the heavy course is rough and I feel ill by the end of it. Life would be much easier if they'd indicate it for constipation too. But then after that rather brutal 2 week treatment, the bloat comes back after 4 to 6 months.

Comment from: megella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

My case of SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) was caused (this time) by clindamycin. I have had SIBO now 4 times. I have never been treated with antibiotics to cure it and I have been cured, unfortunately my gut balance is easily thrown off when having to take an antibiotic for other health reasons. Please all of you who suffer from this debilitating health issue consider researching the specific carbohydrate diet. The first time I had SIBO it lasted for 8 months. I followed this diet very strictly and finally it paid off. Each consecutive time I have had SIBO it was caused by an antibiotic and I immediately went on the diet and probiotics supplements. Within 2 weeks I have been cured. I continue probiotics daily as I believe they are necessary for my gut health.

Comment from: AnnieThesia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have short-segment Barrett's disease as per upper endoscopy. Thus, in my case, SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) may be directly linked to long-term use of Prilosec, a proton pump inhibitor that prevents secretion of the gastric acids needed to absorb certain nutrients (from meat, for example). However, I had a B-12 deficiency before I started taking Prilosec (pretty rare unless you're a vegan or have parasites), but the medication is certainly an additional aggravating factor. I take B-12 shots each month. A hydrogen breath test clinched the diagnosis. I can't remember the upper reference range for normal limits (12?) but mine was 367. People don't normally put out that much hydrogen, and unless you're a cow, you don't normally excrete methane. Anyway, I'd say that medications played a large part in my SIBO; the rest is related to pre-existing conditions (i.e., irritable bowel syndrome, etc.)

SIBO - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with SIBO?
SIBO - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with SIBO.
SIBO - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective with SIBO?