Patient Comments: SIBO - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with SIBO?

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I suffered for three years before diagnosis of SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Antibiotics made me ill due to gastritis, etc. I was hospitalized when I was put on big doses of intravenous omeprazole, and I came out worse, unable to keep any food down. Now any food at all causes pain, bloating, and massive stool variations. I have to take major painkillers. These cause constipation. I lost 20 lb in 3 months. I can only tolerate intravenous antibiotics which accidentally fixed SIBO when previously hospitalized for a major diverticulitis flare up when starvation and IV antibiotics were employed. Now starting a zero sugar diet in an effort to be able to eat something and my way of starving the small bowel bacteria. Symptoms, tinnitus, peripheral neuropathy, bloating, bad gas, bad breath, extensive abdomen pain, blurred vision at times, night sweats, furred tongue, and weight loss.

Comment from: Longterm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I was misdiagnosed for about a year till I got down to 100 lb. and I am 5 ft. 7 inches. I had to get out of my town and head to University Digestive Center. I went through the malnutrition and mal-absorption. It seems like sometimes my body will absorb my vitamins and medicines and sometimes not. Though my SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) did not reach my blood stream like one of my internist doctor's patient.

Comment from: jennyone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

With SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) I have extreme bloating, gas, and constipation. My stomach bloats after ingesting anything.

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I've had chronic diarrhea for more than a year. It increased over the last 6 months. I was initially diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome before it was found to be SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).

Comment from: GOTTAGOGIRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

With SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) I had 10 years of alternating constipation and diarrhea with abdominal pain, massive gas and foul odor to the point where I no longer appeared in public.

SIBO - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of SIBO?
SIBO - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with SIBO.
SIBO - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective with SIBO?