Patient Comments: Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and treatment of your small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

Comment from: Dee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm in hospital at the moment, I have diffuse scleroderma and recently developed all the symptoms of bloating, belching, flatulence, recurring diarrhea, vomiting and leakage every week for the past 7 weeks. My general practitioner has now put me on rifampicin and I'm waiting for a CAT scan! I'm really hopeful this will work for me, I'm following a celiac diet and cutting out lactose and sugar and it is helping.

Comment from: JDThompson, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

The first onset of my symptoms of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth was 10 years ago when I had days of watery diarrhea that was often interrupted by days of constipation. Eventually, I had watery diarrhea mixed with blood and mucus. The abdominal pain and bloating became severe. But these events occurred once a year for three years then no symptoms for five years. Each of the three years I had developed diverticulitis, and Crohn's disease was ruled out. Treatment has been two weeks of Flagyl and Bactrim, until this last event I was given Cipro. Yogurt was encouraged daily. I am miserable when I have these symptoms and this last episode is not going away as usual. This condition is not considered a medical emergency but it sure disrupts life!

Comment from: Debmac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have suffered with diarrhea for a while now. It took me three different gastroenterologists until finally I found one who believed me! I would eat and literally would go to the bathroom all the way home if we went out and it was to the point that I would stay home from anywhere. The doctor gave me colestipol micronized – amazing. My life has done a 360. I actually hugged him when I had my follow up. Now I am still having symptoms of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, which I always knew I had because I always would have to do bouts of Flagyl. Never give up. You will find that one doctor who will listen! My stomach puffs out like when I was pregnant with my twins and a lot of pain and gurgling, but not to deal with the diarrhea and wearing Depends at 54 is a wonderful thing since I started colestipol micronized!

Comment from: netjudy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My physician prescribed Xifaxan last February because I felt that the gas and diarrhea I was having might be bacterial in origin. I was happy with the way it worked. After the six pills a day for 10 days I resumed my daily probiotics and all went well. But I seem to have recurrent periods of poor bowel health and am having one now. After gall bladder surgery in mid-July, eveything was good until another flare-up, which developed into a bowel obstruction episode and a couple of days in the hospital. Since then, I can't seem to shake the diarrhea. I asked to try the Xifaxan again and am using it, but it seems not to be improving my symptoms. What I experienced between the original course of antibiotics and now was a period of time when I felt a lot more strong and resilient and less gassy. I had enough days of normalcy that I thought perhaps I had gotten beyond my years of difficulties. Here I am again. Oy vey.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I was diagnosed with SIBO in 2007. I had previously been diagnosed with IBS. Ten years ago, I had surgery to remove the gallbladder and bile duct because of cysts in the bile duct. Following that, I suffered with IBS. In 2007, I became very ill with diarrhea, upset stomach, and acid reflux. I could not eat or sleep and lost a lot of weight. It took four months for the doctors to find out what was wrong. I began taking probiotics, coated peppermint supplements, and trying to cut out sugary and high-carbohydrate foods. That has helped a lot to control the awful symptoms, but occasionally it still flares up. I found out that taking antacid medications reduces the acid needed to kill bacteria, so I stopped taking those and found that if the bacteria is under control, I do not have the acid reflux problem. Aloe vera juice has also been helpful.

Comment from: Carla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

Apparently my SIBO was caused by taking too much Prilosec, which was prescribed by my ENT. I went to him with a feeling of something stuck in my throat. He diagnosed me with acid reflux, specifically LPR. He prescribed 2 Prilosec in the morning and 2 at night. No significant improvement. I went to a gastroenterologist, who felt that the prescribed dosage was too high for too long and probably resulted in the SIBO due to lack of acid to kill the bad bacteria.

SIBO - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with SIBO?
SIBO - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of SIBO?
SIBO - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with SIBO.
SIBO - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective with SIBO?