Patient Comments: Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and treatment of your small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I got kicked in the sternum by a horse- huge internal bruising including intestines... then got horrible food poisoning in Vegas. Slowly over the last 4 years I've steadily gained weight, tired, migraines, fevers, can't eat wheat anymore after I eat my abdomen swells until it's hard to breathe lots of burping face broke out muzzy headed. I finally discovered SIBO and have done one round of xifaxan and starting a 2nd round today (two weeks each time). I have a lot of research to do a lot of learning as Ii conquer this. After 4 years of doctors telling me I was "JUST FAT" or was "depressed" I have a bit of a battle to do with my body to get this killed off and gone for good. I wish I could charge those docs with negligence.

Comment from: Berit, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I am 66 and have suffered from IBS since my teens. Three years ago I had diarrhea for six months, with up to 20 visits to the toilet per day. After this I was hospitalized, and the doctors found that I suffer from a so-called collagenous colitis. I have lost weight, 10 kilos, in one year. I am now seeing a functional medicine practitioner here in Norway. He has put me on a strict diet: no grains, no dairy products (no so called “gluten-free”products either), no grapes – the list is long. I only eat soup from homemade stock, take lots of prebiotic and probiotic pills, a fungus-killing product, B6, zinc and B12 injections. I am still on this regime, but after only two weeks I feel so much better.

Comment from: josy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

It has almost been a year since I started experiencing this kinds of syptoms that exactly resemble the ones for SIBO, but I thought it was somewhat to do with my stomach and the other fact that made me reluctant not to be see a doctor is the fact that this syptoms appear only when I stop taking 'Chat' which is a stimulant green vegetable-type tree found in Ethiopia. I still don't know the correlation between this chat and SIBO but it gives me one heck of a relief.

Comment from: CLB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have just completed a 10 day course of Cipro for SIBO. I am currently having no symptoms. I am concerned, but wonder how I will fare if I stop the recommended maintenance regimen of Azithromycin and Nexium that I was prescribed before the SIBO diagnosis. These were prescribed for symptoms of gastroparesis which the testing showed I do not have. My physician continues to recommend that I stay on this regimen essentially forever. I don't understand this recommendation. It is proposed that a possible cause of SIBO is the use of antacids allowing a more hospitable environment for bacteria in the small intestine. There is also some evidence of bone loss related to long-term use of PPI's such as Nexium and Prevacid. Is there any such thing as a cure anymore? Shouldn't I be able to eat a balanced natural diet and not have these unnatural substances in my system if the antibiotics have done their job? My grandparents lived to be very old people who took care of themselves into their eighties without being on medications all the time. I don't want to support the folks at the drug company as they no longer seem to be looking for cures, but rather for ways to keep control of my purse for the next 30 odd years.

Comment from: tangal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I recently received positive results from small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) breath testing. I have been experiencing the following symptoms; bad breath, increased flatulence and frequent bowel movements (of normal consistency). I have a recent history of abnormal autonomic nervous system testing and bulging disks with narrowed neuronal foramen in the lumbar region. I will begin antibiotic treatment but am concerned that the cause of the SIBO will not be addressed and that the symptoms will recur.

Comment from: gbak, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had diarrhea for months. I spent thousands on doctors and medications with mixed results but no solutions. I finally, after being pretty much completely frustrated with the medical establishment, happened across an article about SIBO and the fix was: 3 drops of peppermint oil in 1/2 a glass of water three times a day, and 2 raw garlic gloves per day for two weeks. The best part I figured was that if it didn't work, there shouldn't be any harmful side effects. Anyway, it had an immediate effect. My diarrhea, gas, and bloating were gone in a couple of days and the acid reflux was reduced to a normal level. An important note to this is that I was taking about 600 mg of Zantac a day just to maintain a normal life. (It didn't matter what I ate.) Now I take one once every week or two. This is what worked for me. I hope it helps.

SIBO - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with SIBO?
SIBO - Causes Question: What was the cause of your case of SIBO?
SIBO - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with SIBO.
SIBO - Treatment Question: What treatments were effective with SIBO?