- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Slideshow Pictures
- Digestive Disease Myths Slideshow Pictures
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz
- Patient Comments: SIBO - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: SIBO - Causes
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Can SIBO be prevented?
Since SIBO is often a secondary illness that occurs because the intestine has in some way been damaged by another disease, it is important to keep chronic diseases properly treated and under control as best as possible.
What is the prognosis for SIBO?
Small intestine bacterial overgrowth is usually associated with another underlying illness. Even with appropriate treatment, the relapse rate is high and often depends upon how well the underlying illness is managed and controlled.
Medically reviewed by A Board Certified Family Practice Physician
Tursi A, Brandimarte G, Giorgetti GM, Elisei W. Assessment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in uncomplicated acute diverticulitis of the colon. World J Gastroenterol. 2005;11:2773–2776