Patient Comments: Sleep Paralysis - Signs

Please share your signs or symptoms of sleep paralysis.

Comment from: tgwsmw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am under lots of emotional and financial stress with an aging parent who has Alzheimer's. I've been experiencing episodes of sleep paralysis whenever my husband is working out of town. Last night, I "woke" up and thought someone was in the house with me, but I couldn't move a muscle. In my dream, the intruder was watching me, but I couldn't see him. I was terrified. When I could finally move, I was up for the night – too scared to go back to sleep. I've noticed that it tends to happen when I am flat on my back. I have been prescribed Ambien, which helps greatly for me to sleep normally, but I'm afraid to take it when I'm home alone in case I sleepwalk or don't wake up in case of a fire.

Comment from: pinkheart, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 26

I want to share my experience with sleep paralysis. It has happened almost every night for 1 to 2 weeks now. During my sleep, I can't move: I want to speak or shout but can't even move my lips. I'm aware of my surroundings – I can see my curtains move, but can't move my body. Sometimes I feel like something or someone is there with me in my room, but there is nobody. I force myself to open my eyes because I get scared. When I finally wake up, it's difficult to go back to sleep because of the fear it will happen again.

Sleep Paralysis - Causes Question: Do you know what causes your sleep paralysis?
Sleep Paralysis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been helpful for your sleep paralysis?
Sleep Paralysis - Management Question: Discuss any tips or ways you've learned to manage sleep paralysis.