Patient Comments: Sleep Paralysis - Causes

Question:Do you know what causes your sleep paralysis?

Comment from: Bethelgore, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have sleep paralysis. Every time I get so sleepy I want to fall over. I am very wary about sleeping when I feel this tired because it's an awful thing to go through. I have them 0 to 4 nights a month. I can usually predict if it will happen, and I am usually too relaxed to get up once I am able to move again. I have an aura of dread seconds before it takes over me. At that point I can get up real fast if I am not too late, or it drags me under a helpless trance. My advise, do not wait to sleep when you're this tired.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had sleep paralysis since I was young. I never knew it was abnormal until I was finally diagnosed with narcolepsy (with all signs) at least 35 years after the first symptoms. Contrary to what I read everywhere, it has never been scary to me. I thought everyone experienced the paralysis and hallucinations, even with naps. Paralysis often washes over me when I relax, even without falling asleep.

Sleep Paralysis - Signs Question: Please share your signs or symptoms of sleep paralysis.
Sleep Paralysis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been helpful for your sleep paralysis?
Sleep Paralysis - Management Question: Discuss any tips or ways you've learned to manage sleep paralysis.