Patient Comments: Sleep Paralysis - Causes

Question:Do you know what causes your sleep paralysis?

Comment from: woodsy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

For many years I had sleep paralysis. Yes, it did start in my early teens. It was awful, usually something horrible after me that got me, but when my father died the dreams went. He never abused me but didn't like me very much, as I said when he died the dreams went away.

Comment from: ruth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have sleep paralysis about every night and I feel like I can't breathe or move or scream. It's like there is someone standing over me like an evil spirit.

Comment from: Bethelgore, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have sleep paralysis. Every time I get so sleepy I want to fall over. I am very wary about sleeping when I feel this tired because it's an awful thing to go through. I have them 0 to 4 nights a month. I can usually predict if it will happen, and I am usually too relaxed to get up once I am able to move again. I have an aura of dread seconds before it takes over me. At that point I can get up real fast if I am not too late, or it drags me under a helpless trance. My advise, do not wait to sleep when you're this tired.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had sleep paralysis since I was young. I never knew it was abnormal until I was finally diagnosed with narcolepsy (with all signs) at least 35 years after the first symptoms. Contrary to what I read everywhere, it has never been scary to me. I thought everyone experienced the paralysis and hallucinations, even with naps. Paralysis often washes over me when I relax, even without falling asleep.

Sleep Paralysis - Signs Question: Please share your signs or symptoms of sleep paralysis.
Sleep Paralysis - Treatment Question: What treatments have been helpful for your sleep paralysis?
Sleep Paralysis - Management Question: Discuss any tips or ways you've learned to manage sleep paralysis.