Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?

Comment from: FeelBetter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I have central sleep apnea, and I cannot wear a CPAP mask (deviated septum, claustrophobia, etc.), but I can do oxygen. Oxygen therapy at night while I sleep has changed my entire life. I am now rested, body aches and pains are gone, and my mental clarity is better than ever. I am no longer stressed or have OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). If your doctor resists after finding that the CPAP machine just is not for you, find another doctor. Oxygen therapy works!

Comment from: Fletchy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 5 years ago when the girlfriend I had at the time remarked that I stopped breathing in my sleep. I had been feeling lethargic in the afternoons for a long time so I went for tests. I ended up with a CPAP machine that adjusts as required and haven't looked back. I've thought about surgery but after having a bad experience when getting a benign lump removed from my tongue I am reluctant to go down that road. Perhaps losing some weight may help but then that is not so easy to either as you age. I am so glad I went for the tests and made the change.

Comment from: FarmAnimal, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed 15 years ago with sleep apnea. It has been well controlled with a CPAP machine and got to the point where I couldn't sleep without it. About a year ago, I started getting very fatigued during the day. The pressures were checked on the machine and another sleep study was run. Everything was fine. Fine with me and the machine, but I was becoming more and more tired. Six months ago, I woke in the middle of the night gasping for air. I was on my CPAP, but I was totally out of breath. I went back to using oxygen with my CPAP and then only using oxygen. A recent test shows that I have transitioned into central sleep apnea. I had an exacerbation of my MS and it appears that a lesion has caused the change in the type of sleep apnea. I now use oxygen almost constantly and am looking at what is causing the problem and what the fix is. My thought is that it is either the MS or the medications that I am on for pain. It's my opinion that sleep apnea is the most misdiagnosed and undertreated condition in adults today. I've seen too many people who try and give up on the CPAP machine, but it is the one tool that can easily make the problem better. You look like an alien with the mask, but the sandman could care less what you look like at night.

Comment from: no cpap please, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea 7 years ago and I stopped breathing for 11 seconds at a time according to the sleep study. I was unable to use the CPAP as the mask would fall off or the alarm would sound constantly. I had to sleep on my back as it was the only position where the mask would stay on. Several times I woke up gasping for air and I literally wet myself trying to get air. I stopped using the CPAP and I now sleep on my side. I seem to sleep alright at night. I noticed this with other patients as well. I wonder how often sleep studies should be repeated.

Comment from: rheath007, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Although I don't have a remedy, I perhaps have another cause that may need further research. I recently had a head injury that gave me a concussion. One evening, I had an episode while I was awake that resembled sleep apnea enough to make a neurologist send me in for testing. During this episode, I exhaled and then suddenly was not able to inhale. It was though I forgot how to inhale. It was very scary! I kept calm as I gasped for breath. After a few minutes, I began breathing again; however now, I seem to breathe in the Cheyne Stokes pattern. I hope this will be helpful to researchers; doctors and sleep apnea suffers. This may be helpful to discovering a new type of remedy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 18

There is a 'chin band' to hold your chin up which helps with sleep apnea.

Sleep Apnea - Symptoms Question: What were your sleep apnea symptoms?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.