Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?

Comment from: Yellowbirdie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I just discovered I have severe sleep apnea. I am 39 years old and my blood pressure is 150/100 with medication. I found out I generally stop breathing for 28 seconds, and the longest is 35 seconds. The doctor has yet to talk to me until I am done with the CPAP test.

Comment from: cna4it, 45-54 Male Published: February 23

My fiancé has sleep apnea. I'm concerned about him not getting enough sleep. He claims he uses his bi-pap unit at night before he goes to bed, but I have witnessed him taking it off after sleeping for four to six hours. I believe he needs a better fitted nasal mask, but he tells me the mask is OK. I say different because the sounds of air leakage around the mask it can't be a good seal.

Comment from: Ed, 45-54 Male Published: February 13

I used to suffer from severe obstructive sleep apnea. I stopped breathing 50 times an hour. I had UPPP surgery five years ago, and it's the best thing I ever did. My quality of life improved drastically. Now my wife can get a good nights sleep since I no longer snore.

Comment from: Flower, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had sleep apnea for at least 10 years and with weight gain it has gotten worse. My ENT doctor suggested removing the tonsils and the bell-like top part of the mouth. I did that with great pain and it did not help, I had previously tried the mask, and due to severe anxiety, could not leave it on for more than a few seconds. I have tried the nose strips and have even resorted to putting a piece of tape across my lips at night to keep my jaw from dropping to no avail. I feel that if I could get a headband kind of apparatus that would hold my chin up, that might work, but don't know where to obtain one. I really worry about my sleep apnea but don't feel there are enough options out there for me to try.

Published: June 09

I am 44 yrs old. I discovered I have high B/P at the age of 40, and have been on medicine that has controlled it for the most part. In the past 2 yrs. I've had a lot of PVCs or Palpitations, I had an echo/stress test, the outcome was normal. They call my PVC's idiopathic PVCs, they happen for no known reason, maybe too much caffeine, or stress or too much sugar. I take Metaroprol, a beta blocker and it has pretty much controlled them to a point. I work for a DME company and we provide Oxygen and CPAP's to Patients. I suggested to my Heart Dr. about myself having possible Sleep Apnea. I had a sleep study done and checked positive for very severe sleep apnea. I am now on a CPAP machine and am starting to feel much better. It helps me sleep more peacefully, and not as many awakenings! Not as many palpitations either, but I'm still on High B/p and beta blocker MEDS for now. I feel more refreshed more energy. I was barely functioning before the CPAP! I can't believe how many apneas I was having, and my Oxygen level dropped dangerously low. I did an oximeter and my oxygen level was up with the CPAP therapy! If you suspect this condition, get checked!

Comment from: Mark, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I was diagnosed with central sleep apnea by a specialist without the sleep study as it is not available in my country. The doctor prescribed Nuelin SA Tablets made by 3M which in the first few weeks was like a wonder drug. I went from working a 2 - 3 hour day to being able to work a 12 hour plus day. However after 4 months now I am struggling a bit again, not sure if it is stress or that my system has adjusted. If anyone has tried any other medication or life style changes to help I would greatly appreciate the information. I am male, 38. I don't drink or smoke and the only other issues I have are slow pulse 50 to 60 beats a minute and I suffer from migraine headaches.

Comment from: dmoore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had a sleep study several years ago and was told I had Sleep Apnea and had 50 per minute. I was given a machine and sent home. I cannot sleep with this machine. I feel like I am drowning and gasp for breath. The constant air through my nose dries out my sinus and causes bleeding and pain. I am the only one who cannot use this machine.

Sleep Apnea - Symptoms Question: What were your sleep apnea symptoms?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.