Patient Comments: Sleep Apnea - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your sleep apnea?

Comment from: Flower, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have had sleep apnea for at least 10 years and with weight gain it has gotten worse. My ENT doctor suggested removing the tonsils and the bell-like top part of the mouth. I did that with great pain and it did not help, I had previously tried the mask, and due to severe anxiety, could not leave it on for more than a few seconds. I have tried the nose strips and have even resorted to putting a piece of tape across my lips at night to keep my jaw from dropping to no avail. I feel that if I could get a headband kind of apparatus that would hold my chin up, that might work, but don't know where to obtain one. I really worry about my sleep apnea but don't feel there are enough options out there for me to try.

Published: June 09

I am 44 yrs old. I discovered I have high B/P at the age of 40, and have been on medicine that has controlled it for the most part. In the past 2 yrs. I've had a lot of PVCs or Palpitations, I had an echo/stress test, the outcome was normal. They call my PVC's idiopathic PVCs, they happen for no known reason, maybe too much caffeine, or stress or too much sugar. I take Metaroprol, a beta blocker and it has pretty much controlled them to a point. I work for a DME company and we provide Oxygen and CPAP's to Patients. I suggested to my Heart Dr. about myself having possible Sleep Apnea. I had a sleep study done and checked positive for very severe sleep apnea. I am now on a CPAP machine and am starting to feel much better. It helps me sleep more peacefully, and not as many awakenings! Not as many palpitations either, but I'm still on High B/p and beta blocker MEDS for now. I feel more refreshed more energy. I was barely functioning before the CPAP! I can't believe how many apneas I was having, and my Oxygen level dropped dangerously low. I did an oximeter and my oxygen level was up with the CPAP therapy! If you suspect this condition, get checked!

Comment from: fejarang, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have sleep apnea and am on a CPAP. I do not like it. It has helped my apnea I don't fall asleep all the time and have much more energy. I would rather have surgery if it is available than where the CPAP the rest of m life. I will be talking to my doctor about this I am only 52.

Comment from: debby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I suffer with sleep apnea badly and have done for years. I'm always on the look out for new products that may help. I've tried CPAP I think it can help a lot, but I started using Melatrol and it really works.

Comment from: Abby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I was diagnosed several years ago with sleep apnea when my blood pressure acted up. I currently sleep in a recliner, with a CPAP and oral appliance. This has not been great but helps some. I have looked into surgical treatment.

Comment from: higalo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I just had an operation done to remove parts of my throat to relieve sleep apnea. In my opinion, it was a very painful recovery, but it is worth it in the long run.

Comment from: Tasha, Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I would wake up in the morning tired and listless, I knew I had to get out and exercise, I was just about falling asleep during meetings at work and my concentration levels were at an all time low. Due to the lack of exercise I started to gain weight and the problems just increased. My partner was complaining about the snoring and not wanting to put my relationship at risk contacted my GP. He diagnosed me with mild obstructive sleep apnea, but suggested I try a mandibular advancement device or dental appliance. There are quite a few that can be purchased online but I tried the SnoreMEDs snoring solution and it really worked for me so give it a try.

Sleep Apnea - Symptoms Question: What were your sleep apnea symptoms?
Sleep Apnea - Experience Question: Were you or your partner diagnosed with sleep apnea? Please share your experience.